Asteroids, the one stop portable gas stations of KSP 1.0

Rocket Farmer

Note that IF (the 'if' is important) conservation of mass is honored in the resource model, this will NOT be the case.

Your asteroid is just a big fuel tank in that scenario. And if the conversion ratios suck, then it would be a sucky fuel tank. It's only advantage is that it would be free. It's still going to honor the mass_f/mass_e ratio. Remember, deltav = ln(mass_f/mass_e)*isp*9.82 (I'm hoping they fixed that 9.82 idiocy by now. It's literally a five second fix).

I expect that KSP will be honoring conversion of mass, as RoverDude's work has historically. That doesn't mean that Squad can't Squad it up with #lolsokerbal/#lolfake nonsense, but they've been behaving themselves of late so I'm assuming that #lolfake isn't stylish and trendy anymore. Thank goodness.

It sill confers a large advantage no matter what you do. After you detach from the empty asteroid you're at full fuel in space while you keep the dv gained during the mounted burn. It's like hyperediting yourself to a position of an asteroid whose path you yourself set.

He didn't say infinite, he said finite. This was the approach taken in the mod that added asteroid resources to Karbonite. Planets had infinite resources, asteroids had a capped amount based on their size. RoverDude implemented both Karbonite and the stock resources stuff coming in 1.0, so while it's possible that asteroids may not be handled the same way, they're at least aware of the issue.

Ooooooooow yeah, I see what I did there.^^'

Afair maxmaps said that asteroids aren't infinite, tho.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.