How are you going to play 1.0

Rodyle

So, since we're all into the 1.0 hype, let's talk about how you guys are planning to play 1.0. Modded, if so, which mods? Vanilla? Starting from scratch in a new career?

Myself, I was planning to start a completely new career and use the following mods:

Gameplay-altering:

- Infernal Robotics/something similar (recommendations are very welcome)

- KerbalOS

- Remote Tech

Stuff to make life easier:

- Mechjeb/Kerbal Alarm clock

Prettiness mods:

I have no idea yet which ones are good and which ones aren't, so I don't really know yet.

So, how are you planning to do it?

Fresh vanilla experience, I will reinstall my game one day from launch. Then I'll test every new feature in the game. If nothing big needs to be fixed, I'll play vanilla till my mods are updated. If the features are buggy or really bad, I'll fix them with DRE and NEAR and other mods. That's my game plan.

Gotta be stock. I always play 99% stock, usually the only mods I've ever used is KER and perhaps Procedural Fairings or RealChute. I've done Kethane, but not very much.

Will be starting a new career, and the only mod that's really compulsory for me is KSPSerialIO. Won't be spinning up a new game without it.

Apart from that I'm happy to play vanilla, slowly adding in my usual mods as they get updated. Looking forward to seeing how the new resource system works, and whether or not I still want to use Karbonite.

New career. Pure vanilla stock. See how it works, up through at least landings on Eve & Duna to see what happens on those planets with the revised aerodynamics and reentry heating.

By the time I'm done with that, RSS/Realism Overhaul/etc. should have updated and I can start the process of exploring the real solar system all over again, with stock resource gathering to help. =)

Same as most people, start vanilla and add mods slowly again. I'll have a career save but most of my work will be done in sandbox. I might install one of those outer planets mods after I get a little better at interplanetary travel. I might be doing some interplanetary stuff today, actually, to get ready.

I'll go vanilla+MRS+MJ+KER and check in sandbox how the new aero changes stuff on Kerbin, Eve and Jool (I doubt reentry heat will be much of a problem in Duna). Once I get the gist of the new way to build rockets, I'll probably start a career.

I think I'll be ditching Kethane and Karbonite - too many parts, which clutter the VAB and probably take a memory hit. No scansat either, I've never cared much for it and only used it for karbonite. I'll probably try Outer Planets and Interstellar/EP once they update.

Im going to stick to stock except for possible BDArmory and some graphics/appearance mods.

I like to play DMP, and for now, all of the popular servers do not really support mods. That means i avoid part mods especially that more and more of them are now 100% redundant, for example most of B9 (which was a pack i really liked before .24 or whatever the update that gave us MK-2 parts) is now non-essential and just adds resources. Especially with 1.0's new wings, it looks that even for massive planes B9 will nolonger give us any real benefits over stock game. Mods used to be almost essential, but with all the additions squad is putting into teh game, i feel that mods have become less essential, and more optional or even completely unnecessary these days. Back in .23 or whatnot, mods were 100% needed to make any sort of half decent looking/performing space planes/SSTOs, now with MK-2 parts, that is nolonger the case, with MK-3 parts, large space planes are now possible (+ the parts make for nice capital ship hulls too). Now with mining, large wings, better landing gear, larger xenon tanks, ect, many many many mods are nolonger essential to enjoy the game. Yes many mods are still neat, but at least in my opinion, not many mods are required to get any fun outta the game anymore.

Ofc i usually use EVE (with some textures pulled from astronomer's mod of EVE, as i dont quite like the stock cloud skybox as it has too many clouds in spots and the storm features look kinda fakeish). I also run planetshine and a few other improvements like a saturn styled belt around jool that looks really cool especially when you fly capital ships through it while being shot at/shooting at something else.

I'm going to run through stock tutorials and career and try to collect my thoughts on the official release of KSP. Of course, I'll have an inherent bias being a long time player. Anyway, I'll probably post a blog here on the official forum.

After that, I'll wait for mod updates.

I want to do a stock Grand Tour once 1.0 comes out and I'll install Engineer, and possibly Transfer Window Planner, because KSP without information is stupid. I'm thinking I'll try to make a video series of it with my impressions of the game as it is.

I will first mess around in sandbox mode to get a feel for the new parts and what it takes to launch them/make use of them. I'll whip up some new spaceplane and rocket designs as well. Once the mods that I intend to use have been updated for 1.0, I will start a new career game with about 50% funds/science/reputation income. I'll be looking for kerbal snacks, remotetech, kerbal inventory, unrapid assembly, kerbal mechanics and possibly station science to update before I start my career game. I might add in some visual mods as well (distant objects/better atmospheres) and possibly custom asteroids, although I kind of hope that will no longer be necessary.

I've lately been playing the 6.4x scaled game in hard career mode with FAR/DRE but only stock parts, which is giving me a real run for my money. I'll probably try 1.0 with the 6.4x mod and Kerbal Engineer, just for continuity with what I've been doing recently. I will initially try it without FAR/DRE since it sounds like most of that functionality will now be in the stock game. If the stock aerodynamics are too simplistic then I'll be looking to bring back FAR ASAP.

I'll be eager to check out all the new parts and features, so will probably start out in sandbox mode to do a bit of goofing around before launching another hard career mode game.

Edited by Yakky

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.