My name is Alex, and I'm an addict...

AlexClark

I stumbled upon KSP after a brief Google search for exactly a game like this. Downloaded the demo, and I've been hopelessly hooked for 5 days now. Being self employed, I have the ability to screw around and slack off at work with KSP as I please, which has caused some issues. My pregnant fiance doesn't "see what the big deal about a game" is, and thinks it is juvenile. To which my response is usually "Your face is juvenile!" I am a 30 year old engaged business owner, father-to-be, and I'm an addict. Although I prefer term Rocket Surgeon.

Welcome to the forums !

Yeah, it's very addicting. Symptoms from KSP may include but are not limited to: significant loss of free time, loss of sleep, increased brain processing, increased fun, increased frustration, and so on....

But it's worth it! Feel free to ask any questions, Have fun, and fly safe! :)

Many happy landings are ahead of you, I'm sure!

Have you hit the learning wall yet? It should come in soon...

And you'll feel it.

Remember, though, any landing you can walk away from... probably ended terribly. But at least you walked away from it. :P

Rampant frustration is the little slope leading up to the wall. Soon you will wonder why? Just why won't this work. Then the YouTube, Google and ksp wiki get hammered to death for a wealth of information which will likely fly straight over your head shortly followed by a 'quick half hour' on KSP and then, DING! You realise that's why it didn't work.

Then the next night will be, how can I make this bigger, better, more fantastic....then the reading begins again.

Welcome, there is a wealth of information sitting right in this forum. Ask questions, then prepare your follow up question. There will be a follow up question.

Tweety

Welcome to the forums! :)

As others have implied elsewhere in the thread, KSP is one of those "easy to learn, challenging to master" games. If you just want to mess around to see what you can do by "winging it" that's a perfectly acceptable way to go about things, but if you want to dig deeper into how all the orbital mechanics work, or if you're wanting to try something and running into a brick wall, feel free to ask questions; I'm sure our resident experts will be more than willing to help. Additionally, I maintain a little list of tutorials and resources called the Drawing Board, which is conveniently linked in my signature, which might be occasionally useful for helping smooth out those rough patches as well.

Hope this helps!

My wall was the navball. In the demo, when I started playing, I had to do the moon landing by eye.

Once I figured out the navball, rendezvous and docking was the next wall. But it passed quickly enough.

I still can't do SSTO VTOLs, but hey, who needs those? :)

*creepy addict voice* I do. I need them so bad!

Welcome to the forum, AlexClark!

I think my wall was....maneuver nodes. eyeballing Mun transfers and landings using small bits of the navball and map mode was awful, so glad I learned about maneuver nodes and how to use the navball. Now Mun missions are a cinch. (except that I often pack way too many stages and Delta-v because I'm not good at putting just enough. :P )

well, since this is kinda off topic, i started a thread about the learning wall. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/116316-What-was-your-learning-wall?p=1854389#post1854389

Edited by Endersmens

I've been hopelessly hooked for 5 days now.

Welcome to the forum and KSP! My advice, after around 1,400 hours, is to not rush to visit planets. Play sandbox or science mode and make your own rules.

Send probes before Kerbals, research planets, gather info on them and then plan Kerbal'd missions. And go nuts on Kerbin!, explore, experiment!

Have you landed on the Mun yet?