Why did they never give a Steam key to people who bought the game on the KSP shop ?

Tase

I bought the key from the KSP shop 2 years ago. On the site it said that we'dd get a Steam key. In tiny italic somewhere on the page it said "before xxx date".

It has always bugged me that they completely refused to give Steam keys to people like me who bought the game at full price from their shop.

Does it cost them money to make a Steam key ? Do they just not care about people who requested a Steam key (I did) ?

Every time I think about it, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. In the end, they don't care, a sale is a sale. Making me happy doesn't give them more money, no point in doing it.

Um, because you didn't buy the Steam key, you bought the standalone game? :huh:

Unless you mean to say that you actually went and bought a Steam key independently of the game and never got it. In which case, unless you've got evidence, you're SOL. Two years is a bit long... :)

(If you don't have any evidence at all, I don't think anyone can do anything in the first place, be it two years ago or two minutes ago.)

No I bought it in April and the cut-off was March 20th.

What bugged me also was in the FAQ, the first word is Yes and only the last few words of the rather long paragraph have any mention of the cutoff date. Rather misleading. "I bought the game on the KSP Store, but I want it on Steam. Will you give me a Steam Key? Yes, we now offer the choice to..."

And the fact that at the time the updater was bugged so every new version meant a re-download.

But OK, you had a deal with Steam, never heard of this before, even when putting in a ticket, so I always assumed it was carelessness. Guess I'll just have to pay twice to get it on my preferred CDN provider.

Tase, I understand your frustration, but why immediately assume a bad motive? Squad are nice guys who have gone out of their way to make consessions for us (like the "all future updates for free" misunderstanding), seems a bit unfair to accuse them of not caring.

As far as I can tell the option hasn't expired, my store account still has the option to transfer to Steam there.

Out of curiousity where is the option to transfer to steam? I bought the game mid 2013 and have been wondering when the steam transfer would happen... then I never saw anything more about it...

thanks for a reply!

Out of curiousity where is the option to transfer to steam? I bought the game mid 2013 and have been wondering when the steam transfer would happen... then I never saw anything more about it...

It's on the My Account page. Pic from my account just now:

SteamXfer.png

If you bought in mid-2013 I don't think the free transfer was offered.

thanks for a reply!

The transfer is not available for anyone who bought the game after March 2013

Tase, I understand your frustration, but why immediately assume a bad motive? Squad are nice guys who have gone out of their way to make consessions for us (like the "all future updates for free" misunderstanding), seems a bit unfair to accuse them of not caring.

Well I couldn't understand why they didn't offer the transfer to everyone and when I made a ticket I never got an answer. But if they had a deal with Steam to get x amount of keys for x amount of accounts that existed by March 20th, then there's nothing they could do about accounts created after that date. I just wish that one sentence in the FAQ didn't start with a Yes.

Never bothered transferring my copy to Steam. I mod my installs heavily and I find it easier to manage navigating the file trees manually without having to dig through my steam data. It's also a lot more easy to unzip a ready-to-play install of KSP than it is having to reinstall through steam every time you hose an install 110% with bad mod choices.

If the potentially upcoming Multi-player features require steam, I'll probably get around to it.

Slightly off topic, but doesn't deserve its own thread- Can I switch my steam copy of ksp over to the website version?

No. It would be one way from the website to steam; contracts with steam likely keep it the same back.

Never bothered transferring my copy to Steam. I mod my installs heavily and I find it easier to manage navigating the file trees manually without having to dig through my steam data. It's also a lot more easy to unzip a ready-to-play install of KSP than it is having to reinstall through steam every time you hose an install 110% with bad mod choices.

If the potentially upcoming Multi-player features require steam, I'll probably get around to it.

If they make the MP feature require Steam, I assume they would give a Steam key for every KSP Store copy and stop selling it there.

I also bought the game in April 2013, so I got no steam key. And that is really annoying ;)

Now I use steam as my main game archive. Its just so handy to have all games in one place. So, I always keep forgetting that I even own this game, or that an update came out. It just get lost somewhere on my harddrive.

But I cant afford to buy it again on steam, just to have it in my collection there. It would be great to have the option to transfer, even for a small fee.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.