KSP to GOG

klgraham1013

hmm. So like.. they took games from old OS's, such as windows 98, windows 2000, XP, and make them work on modern systems?

That's exactly it. One of their most recent releases was the entire collection of X-Wing / Tie-Fighter games.

Nice, GoG is awesome.

hmm. So like.. they took games from old OS's, such as windows 98, windows 2000, XP, and make them work on modern systems?

Yeah, kinda similar to the multitude of old games steam is selling right now, they just made sure the games actually work. Atm there is more and more new stuff, but bigger publisher are ofc not happy about the prospect of actual customer service, refunds or drm free games.

So, the news isn't on www.kerbalspaceprogram.com, the announcements forum, the official twitter, or the unofficial twitter.

edit: This has been remedied.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been using GOG for a long time. Works great and I've had good experiences with their customer support.

- - - Updated - - -

Edited out unnecessary comment.

Edited by klgraham1013

Squad does not implement the concept of links as the rest of the world comprehends. They rely on the community (us) to post the links into this community hub.

I don't like it, but that is the reality.

(not related... I see GOG has the Empire Earth series for sale - many good times playing that with friends all over the world)

I've purchased a lot of old games from them and am in general quite satisfied with the setup. This sounds like a reasonable move that could bring KSP to a lot more players, and it's always nice to have another non-Steam option.

P.S. They have Alpha Centauri and Master of Orion II. You know what you have to do.

This IMHO is an example of *why* Squad are badging the upcoming update 1.0. Not because the update is particularly significant on its own merits (though it *is* a fairly large one) but because they want to cast off that alpha/beta label in order to sell KSP in more places.

This IMHO is an example of *why* Squad are badging the upcoming update 1.0. Not because the update is particularly significant on its own merits (though it *is* a fairly large one) but because they want to cast off that alpha/beta label in order to sell KSP in more places.

Selling in places more than steam isn't significant in any way. I love that they bring it to GoG, but it won't bring them too much in terms of sales.

Sometimes the obvious answer is closer to the truth than conspiracy theories.^^

Also DOS. But 2000/XP are actually basically the same as "modern" windows, FYI. They're all part of the NT family and most of the changes have been largely cosmetic (desktop) or stupid (desktop, SxS), or very minor and could have easily been backported (4Kn support, DX9/10/11, etc).

The value in their services primarily lies in the DOS/95/98/ME games, as there's significant differences between the '95 family and NT family, and well, obviously even bigger differences between the DOS family and NT family. Games written for NT4/2K/XP should still work under Vista/7/8 if written properly - I have some old DirectX3 (yes, THREE) games I scribbled up that still work under Win7 for instance. However, most programmers are ScrubLords of the Isle of Idiocy and Reading Comprehension Fail and couldn't read system documentation and understand forward compatibility to save their life.

(As an example, Microsoft specifically warned in the early DirectDraw surface documentation that the stride may not equal the width of the display in future versions of video cards and drivers, and sure enough, they don't)

I've purchased a lot of old games from them and am in general quite satisfied with the setup. This sounds like a reasonable move that could bring KSP to a lot more players, and it's always nice to have another non-Steam option.

Yeah, they're pretty good. I've had some minor issues with their work from time to time, but at least I have the products and can deploy them on a real system from the required era if necessary (I have a 386DX and 486DX, as well as a Pentium MMX machine with performance cards from that era heh).

Also DOS. But 2000/XP are actually basically the same as "modern" windows, FYI. They're all part of the NT family and most of the changes have been largely cosmetic (desktop) or stupid (desktop, SxS), or very minor and could have easily been backported (4Kn support, DX9/10/11, etc).

The value in their services primarily lies in the DOS/95/98/ME games, as there's significant differences between the '95 family and NT family, and well, obviously even bigger differences between the DOS family and NT family. Games written for NT4/2K/XP should still work under Vista/7/8 if written properly - I have some old DirectX3 (yes, THREE) games I scribbled up that still work under Win7 for instance. However, most programmers are ScrubLords of the Isle of Idiocy and Reading Comprehension Fail and couldn't read system documentation and understand forward compatibility to save their life.

(As an example, Microsoft specifically warned in the early DirectDraw surface documentation that the stride may not equal the width of the display in future versions of video cards and drivers, and sure enough, they don't)

Yeah, they're pretty good. I've had some minor issues with their work from time to time, but at least I have the products and can deploy them on a real system from the required era if necessary (I have a 386DX and 486DX, as well as a Pentium MMX machine with performance cards from that era heh).

Well, it certainly doesn't like windows 8. (the game i mentioned) It won't install correctly and I can't play it.

Also congrats on 2k posts! :D

Glad to see its coming to GoG. Its perfect fit anyway since the product is inherently DRM free.

I wonder if we are gonna see any physical copies floating around anywhere. Id love to have one personally, and would shell out another 30 bucks for some awesome KSP boxart :P

Id say no way in heck this was gonna happen. But i stumbled upon a physical copy of Space Engineers in the store the otherday, so who knows.

Well, it certainly doesn't like windows 8. (the game i mentioned) It won't install correctly and I can't play it.

>.< Dammit! Faulty programming strikes again! An NT/2k/xp game SHOULD work. But because of scrublord programmers, they don't. :C

Well, unless the game was Glide-only. Glide was pretty slick (fast/simple/always worked), but since it was single vendor/semi-closed-standard, it died with 'em. That would be pretty rare though as most of the Glide games supported direct hardware access to basic VGA (DOS) or had a DirectX mode (Windows 95+).

Also congrats on 2k posts! :D

Woah.. I feel old. Er, older. Heh~

>.< Dammit! Faulty programming strikes again! An NT/2k/xp game SHOULD work. But because of scrublord programmers, they don't. :C

Well, unless the game was Glide-only. Glide was pretty slick (fast/simple/always worked), but since it was single vendor/semi-closed-standard, it died with 'em. That would be pretty rare though as most of the Glide games supported direct hardware access to basic VGA (DOS) or had a DirectX mode (Windows 95+).

the game is GT Legends if you wanna look it up. I loved that game. Race07 is more realistic but lacks the career mode that GT Legends has.

Woah.. I feel old. Er, older. Heh~

I just reached 1k 2 days ago. Been posting a lot more frequently lately, which is why I'm almost already at 1100 after 2 days. :D

the game is GT Legends if you wanna look it up. I loved that game. Race07 is more realistic but lacks the career mode that GT Legends has.

Hmm, a GT Legends video from the 'net mentioned copy protection causing issues. That's one of the major sources of such shenanigans - DRM code generally throws the entire manual out the window and is intentionally as incorrect as possible (I've heard of some even doing things like patching system drivers or even replacing 'em. <sarcasm>what could POSSIBLY go wrong there?</sarcasm>). Of course, it only harms the legitimate owners, the damned pirates don't even bat an eyelash as they crack it.

Anyhow, poor coding practices are poor coding practices, and kinda off topic (and a personal pet peeve of mine. I actually re-bought Civ IV because they released a DRM-free bundle).

I think the guys at GoG remove those things normally.

Hmm, a GT Legends video from the 'net mentioned copy protection causing issues. That's one of the major sources of such shenanigans - DRM code generally throws the entire manual out the window and is intentionally as incorrect as possible (I've heard of some even doing things like patching system drivers or even replacing 'em. <sarcasm>what could POSSIBLY go wrong there?</sarcasm>). Of course, it only harms the legitimate owners, the damned pirates don't even bat an eyelash as they crack it.

Anyhow, poor coding practices are poor coding practices, and kinda off topic (and a personal pet peeve of mine. I actually re-bought Civ IV because they released a DRM-free bundle).

I think the guys at GoG remove those things normally.

Well, I bought the physical copy of the game if that helps.

Also, i didn't understand most of what you said the problem was. :P do you know anything I could do to get the game running?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.