Because of the new 1.0 aerodynamics, I can't go to space.

Are they fixed fins? or the maneuver ones like the avb winglet? i had the same problem on a smaller ship i founs that once i ditched my SRB's the gimbal on my liquid engine and the static fins were enough to keep me upright, with that many srbs i think youll need advanced fins or even fairings

Are they fixed fins? or the maneuver ones like the avb winglet? i had the same problem on a smaller ship i founs that once i ditched my SRB's the gimbal on my liquid engine and the static fins were enough to keep me upright, with that many srbs i think youll need advanced fins or even fairings

Yes, but I don't have them. I don't have the technology.

We all need to relearn... but out of curiosity, how quick does that thing accelerate in the lower atmosphere? You want to go quick.

Judging by the cross-section of your rocket, my guess is that it's held back by drag-problems. Maybe try making it more aerodynamic? Also, if using fins, you might want to consider putting them at the back of your craft. Good luck!

We all need to relearn... but out of curiosity, how quick does that thing accelerate in the lower atmosphere? You want to go quick.

Judging by the cross-section of your rocket, my guess is that it's held back by drag-problems. Maybe try making it more aerodynamic? Also, if using fins, you might want to consider putting them at the back of your craft. Good luck!

K, I'll try that.

I wouldn't say "joints wobbling, thus causing deflection aero forces and deflected thrust" are exactly phantom forces...

Yeah, cause they aren't wobbling.

- - - Updated - - -

More wings and control in general I would assume is needed.

Ok, I'll try that too.

- - - Updated - - -

Problem seems to be fixed, but I'm having trouble moving in general.

Yeah I am having similar problems. You now definitely need fins and nosecones. I started a new career mode and couldn't figure out why all my rockets were flipping upside down in lower atmosphere. I haven't unlocked the rotating fins yet so I am having a really hard time rolling. I keep "almost" making orbit :( Wait until you discover the new reentry heat mechanics :P That little G force meter on the nav ball isn't just for show anymore.

Yeah I am having similar problems. You now definitely need fins and nosecones. I started a new career mode and couldn't figure out why all my rockets were flipping upside down in lower atmosphere. I haven't unlocked the rotating fins yet so I am having a really hard time rolling. I keep "almost" making orbit :( Wait until you discover the new reentry heat mechanics :P That little G force meter on the nav ball isn't just for show anymore.

I already did discover them.

Yeah, the aero is completely messed up. Going to see if NEAR works because I know you can get to orbit in that. Rockets do not flip over mid-flight, ever. No matter what. I've never seen it happen. (Malfunctions don't count)

Well yeah, because real engineers with real engineering degrees don't make n00b mistakes. I think if someone at NASA built a top heavy rocket with no regard for aerodynamics or center of mass it might very well flip over.

Well yeah, because real engineers with real engineering degrees don't make n00b mistakes. I think if someone at NASA built a top heavy rocket with no regard for aerodynamics or center of mass it might very well flip over.

The thing is, it's not top heavy at all, has plenty of fins, and would fly excellently on .90. 1.0 is broken, admit it. The controls are so jumpy, and it's not a design issue. The devs took a seriously wrong turn here and it's coming back to bite them.

Correction: If someone at NASA made a bottom-heavy rocket.

Top heavy is good. Think about darts, do you want the weight at the nose of the dart or the tail? :P

There you see, and that is a perfect example of why I would never qualify to build rockets for NASA...

- - - Updated - - -

The thing is, it's not top heavy at all, has plenty of fins, and would fly excellently on .90. 1.0 is broken, admit it. The controls are so jumpy, and it's not a design issue. The devs took a seriously wrong turn here and it's coming back to bite them.

I am not going to admit it just yet, I just started playing 1.0 and haven't had any extreme bouts of aerodynamics rage yet... ask me again tomorrow.

IMHO its a balance / fuel feed issue, the fixed fins only have 0.02 drag and 0.37 lift, dont know if the nose parachute acts as a nose cone but its not enough to counter the pod and tanks with 0.2 drag even with fixed fins.

So when the fuel all drains from the top of the craft, the center of mass goes rearward and the aerodynamics model flips the craft because the center of drag of all combined components is in front of the mass, and to get into space you need to micro manage the tanks so the front half of the craft is used last.

I am surprised 3 fixed fins cannot stabilise an orbital rocket but they cannot.

Every case of a rocket flipping in stock 1.0 aero that I've seen would be worse in FAR or NEAR. I've played all three, and I've tumbled rockets in all but 1.0 stock aero. It's either that they design something that's the aerodynamic equivalent of throwing a dart backwards, or they still think they can follow the old "10Km up then pitch 45 degrees" ascent profile without issues.

Not saying that 1.0 doesn't have it's issues, but this one is just a matter of adapting. Wide pancakes don't work well in FAR, NEAR, or 1.0 stock.

When I try to fly it, even a 1.25-m "stick" with a nosecone and a gimbaling engine tends to flip down when I try to slightly tilt it over.

IV5rSbS.png

Yeah, the aero is completely messed up. Going to see if NEAR works because I know you can get to orbit in that. Rockets do not flip over mid-flight, ever. No matter what. I've never seen it happen. (Malfunctions don't count)

Pretty much all real-life orbital launch vehicles do not need stability fins or winglets either. They have gimbaling and/or vernier engines.

If I put control surface fins, the rocket can barely rotate if they are too far back from the center of mass, so I have to put them so that the center of lift is right behind the center of mass (just like how one would make an aircraft/spaceplane).

Edited by Pipcard

I'm not seeing any indication aero is broke. It's just more realistic, and as such isn't as forgiving as the old cartoon physics.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.