KSP 1.0 - Merge button

So here's what I found while playing around with it. Go into the VAB and click Load and load up a craft. Then click Load again and pick another craft, but click on Merge instead of Load.

I will be having some fun with this tonight!

Except that it doesnt seem to be able to attach to anything after loading as a merge. Im still playing with it myself

With the new shift-click feature, you can separate parts from the red, transparent assemblies in order to get what you want.

With the new shift-click feature, you can separate parts from the red, transparent assemblies in order to get what you want.

I'll have to mess with that later and see if i have better luck. What i was trying to do was create one standard lifting stage and interchange cargo modules on top, but by building the modules as their own ship for dV estimation and RCS balancing.

Would it be better for me to build my lifter stage as the part that gets "merged" and just make a dummy part on top, so i can shift click the good part away from that dummy and attach to my cargo. or other way around? I'll try myself later when i get a chance to load the game back up =).

I'll have to mess with that later and see if i have better luck. What i was trying to do was create one standard lifting stage and interchange cargo modules on top, but by building the modules as their own ship for dV estimation and RCS balancing.

Would it be better for me to build my lifter stage as the part that gets "merged" and just make a dummy part on top, so i can shift click the good part away from that dummy and attach to my cargo. or other way around? I'll try myself later when i get a chance to load the game back up =).

Why not just make your lifter a subassembly? That's what it was designed for. Above the parts list there is an arrow. Click it to access the subassemblies.

I don't like/understand the merge button currently. I tried to attach a spaceplace to a VAH, it would't/would only attach at crazy angles. And that was after resetting roots on both vessels. Eventually I got them attached by subassemblying the VAH. I could very well be doing something wrong.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. I can load the new ship but than, I can not attach it to anything...neither with the "shift" nor with the "alt" key. I have already activated "allow part clipping" and "easy clipping"...both wont help.

And I am not using subassemblying because this does not work either because: "The slected part is not attachable".

As far as I know you can just subassembly parts when there is no "command modul" included.

Its some kind of frustrating.

Edited by WolfS

For me merge doesn't work at all, even to the point of sometimes only loading two-thirds of the craft that I click merge to load. When all of the craft does manage to load, there is never an attachment point even if the root node has one available. It may be particular to Linux 64bit, but there it's completely and utterly broken. Luckily sub-assemblies work normally and well.

• 4 months later...

this may help you think of it as cut and paste but save as you go along and remember to change the name

- - - Updated - - -

You have top have an open docking a green little ball or a docking port ie you need a band connector. or even a fule tank that has the able ball on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dg7nUA8ECE

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dg7nUA8ECE

I get how to use merge, but I dont see the purpose if im honest. I havent identified anything that it lets me do, that sub-assemblies didn't already do. I had my happy solution to this engineering exercise as soon as we got the root tool (it was workable even before that if you understood how KSP assembles craft).

Saving a craft with a node free on the root piece, then bringing it into another craft to attach.... thats exactly what we've been doing through SA.

This functionality is great for designing a rover in SPH and merge it into VAB. Remember to leave one green node of the root part so that it can be merged.

You don't have to use the SPH to make rovers. They added mirror symmetry in the VAB now, just press R. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

I get how to use merge, but I dont see the purpose if im honest. I havent identified anything that it lets me do, that sub-assemblies didn't already do. I had my happy solution to this engineering exercise as soon as we got the root tool (it was workable even before that if you understood how KSP assembles craft).

Saving a craft with a node free on the root piece, then bringing it into another craft to attach.... thats exactly what we've been doing through SA.

Yeah, but IMO I don't see why we have to have free nodes on the root parts of subassemblies or during merge in order to use it. We always have to re-root the subassembly or merged craft before using them. The game should be able to re-root the parts automatically when you drag them in, or at least be able to root parts manually when they're dragged in and red.

• 7 months later...

Edit: Ok, I managed, but now I've other issues probably not related with merging. With probes antennas and solar panels do not extend, it might be an issue related to the last update (KSP 1.1.3) and RemoteTech.

Edited by carlorizzante

On 1.11.2015 at 0:05 AM, celem said:

It works if top node is green, I find it useful for assembling payloads as I can build stuff, test and save, then merge into an stack. 
My only problem is an 1.12 bug I have where the game reset to original root node on load this makes it an bad idea to use an bottom node. 
If you don't want top node to be root, say its an decopler, you can simply put it on bottom of active craft before you join

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.