[1.6.x] RasterPropMonitor - Development Stopped (v0.30.6, 29 December 2018)

MOARdV

[quote name='iamahippy']navutilities has not upgraded to 1.0.5.[/QUOTE]
Just wondering - are you seeing any specific problems with NavUtilities on 1.0.5?

(I know this is a bit off-topic; if your answer is "yes" I suggest we move the discussion to the [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/85353"]NavUtilities thread[/URL])

To celebrate surviving (mostly) the forum upgrade, and Thanksgiving day weekend, here's RasterPropMonitor v0.24.1.  A handful of fixes, a pile of new features (like integration with Pilot Assistant for those people who think this is Kerbal Spaceplane Program :) ).  Full release notes, plus the updated mod, at the usual places: GitHub and KerbalStuff.

1 hour ago, nukeboyt said:

I'm insterested in the JSI Radar.  I've never given it a try or even noticed its availability.   Does anyone know of a video or set of pictures that show it in use?

Nope.  I don't know if anyone other than me has even used it. :) Although I do have a screenshot from the VAB on the GitHub wiki.

The simplest thing to do would be to make a MM patch to add it to a docking port (ideally, one on the nose of your ship).  There are right-click menu options to toggle it on/off, and to switch it so it'll target debris.  There are also quite a few configuration options (look at the GitHub for full details).  It's handy when flying rendezvous missions, since it'll target a craft automatically when you're in range.  And, if you've configured it to target docking ports, it'll even select an available docking port when you get close enough (although it only selects the closest one it finds, so it can be tricky if you've got a complex space station with lots of empty ports).  The FASA Gemini nosecone / docking port in the 'FASA Gemini IVA update' in my sig contains an example fully configured.

One other benefit of it: you don't need to be in IVA to use it - you can control it from outside the craft.  But an IVA maker can make props control it, as well (the FASA IVA has a 'Radar' switch, for instance).

21 hours ago, MOARdV said:

The simplest thing to do would be to make a MM patch to add it to a docking port (ideally, one on the nose of your ship). 

Thanks.  I have never made an MM patch.  I guess it's about time I learn...:confused:

8 minutes ago, nukeboyt said:

Thanks.  I have never made an MM patch.  I guess it's about time I learn...:confused:

This is a fairly easy one (DropBox link).  That MM patch will add JSIRadar to the Clamp-O-Tron docking port, configured the same as the radar in the FASA IVA mod I did (200km range, 30* search cone, and it'll automatically target compatible docking ports when you are close enough).

2 hours ago, MOARdV said:

This is a fairly easy one (DropBox link).  That MM patch will add JSIRadar to the Clamp-O-Tron docking port, configured the same as the radar in the FASA IVA mod I did (200km range, 30* search cone, and it'll automatically target compatible docking ports when you are close enough).

Thanks.  I got it to work and see how it automatically targets other docking ports.   Handy!    Is there any display or controls on the default RPM screens?

54 minutes ago, nukeboyt said:

Thanks.  I got it to work and see how it automatically targets other docking ports.   Handy!    Is there any display or controls on the default RPM screens?

No, there isn't.  There's a lot of stuff I've added to RPM over the last year and a half, and I simply don't have the time and energy left over to try to keep updating the 'stock' RPM screens.  What time I have for IVA work involves alexustas's ASET props, since they are much nicer looking than the stock props.

14 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

No, there isn't.  There's a lot of stuff I've added to RPM over the last year and a half, and I simply don't have the time and energy left over to try to keep updating the 'stock' RPM screens.  What time I have for IVA work involves alexustas's ASET props, since they are much nicer looking than the stock props.

Hopefully, if you back off updates on the stock stuff, it will encourage others to join the cause, and start making more, and varied use of RPM...

46 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

Your work on keeping this and DOE updated is much appreciated

4 hours ago, depp18 said:

I keep getting this bug, can anyone help solve it? 

http://imgur.com/e4kplVY

this happens all the time right after you undock a craft.  Also if you're using FAR/DRE, you may notice that aerodynamics also don't work in this case.  Some other mods will not work as well right after undocking.  The solution is, after undocking, always quicksave (F5) and quickload (F9).  This will reinitialize the mod code handlers and make all  of these problems go away.

I notice some IVAs are configured to display EAS/IAS, which is great, but.. can I further modify the props config to show this in KTS instead of M/S?  From searching the forums there's a post that alluded to it being possible, but any help in implementing this would be greatly appreciated.  I'm a real-world pilot, and "knots of indicated airspeed" is a vital vital thing to have in a cockpit, for obvious reasons :)  Ground speed is nice to know, but ground speed doesn't keep the plane flying.

3 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I notice some IVAs are configured to display EAS/IAS, which is great, but.. can I further modify the props config to show this in KTS instead of M/S?  From searching the forums there's a post that alluded to it being possible, but any help in implementing this would be greatly appreciated.  I'm a real-world pilot, and "knots of indicated airspeed" is a vital vital thing to have in a cockpit, for obvious reasons :)  Ground speed is nice to know, but ground speed doesn't keep the plane flying.

Yes, you can convert them.  It requires making use of a MATH_ variable, such as

RPM_MATH_VARIABLE
{
   name = IAS_KNOTS
   operator = MULTIPLY 

sourceVariable = IASPEED
   sourceVariable = MetersPerSecondToKnots
} 

The variable MATH_IAS_KNOTS will then report IASPEED in knots.  Any other reported speed can likewise be converted (change 'name' and the first 'sourceVariable').

6 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Yes, you can convert them.  It requires making use of a MATH_ variable, such as

RPM_MATH_VARIABLE
{
   name = IAS_KNOTS
   operator = MULTIPLY 

sourceVariable = IASPEED
   sourceVariable = MetersPerSecondToKnots
} 

The variable MATH_IAS_KNOTS will then report IASPEED in knots.  Any other reported speed can likewise be converted (change 'name' and the first 'sourceVariable').

awesome.  Anyone who's interested in the resulting patched config (I'm going to do it for the B9 cockpits, at least at first), please let me know.

Hi...my navball is a black circle with a white outline along with the number readouts (i.e. not orange/blue navball). I also use basic active texture management so that may be the problem. How can I fix this or make an ATM exception (IVA textures are blurry with it) ? Thanks in advance.

Edited by AK von Bismarck

1 hour ago, AK von Bismarck said:

Hi...my navball is a black circle with a white outline along with the number readouts (i.e. not orange/blue navball). I also use basic active texture management so that may be the problem. How can I fix this or make an ATM exception (IVA textures are blurry with it) ? Thanks in advance.

First, determine if it is indeed active texture management that's causing the problem.  if removing ATM fixes the problem, or you need to make exceptions for ATM, you'll need to take that up in the ATM thread.  I haven't used ATM in over a year, so I don't remember how to tweak it.

If the problem does not go away when ATM is removed, I'll need more information to diagnose the problem.

@MOARdV,  I have a question. How difficult would it be to make kerbals visible in pods other than the active one? I know it can be resource intensive, but what if it's only the kerbal without any props and only they're on the same active vessel? I'm asking because I've made some Command Chairs that are actually Command Pods and use your plug-in to show your kerbal in the right place, but if I have two on the same vessel they can't see each other in IVA view. Here's the link to my project if it helps. Captain to the Bridge!

44 minutes ago, Kalzuron said:

@MOARdV,  I have a question. How difficult would it be to make kerbals visible in pods other than the active one? I know it can be resource intensive, but what if it's only the kerbal without any props and only they're on the same active vessel? I'm asking because I've made some Command Chairs that are actually Command Pods and use your plug-in to show your kerbal in the right place, but if I have two on the same vessel they can't see each other in IVA view. Here's the link to my project if it helps. Captain to the Bridge!

That's been an outstanding request for a while (like almost 7 months, according to the GitHub issue tracker).  The problem is that KSP does some funky stuff (using a different frame of reference for IVA models versus the rest of the craft craft), and it requires some borderline hacks to get the IVA to line up and rotate correctly with the JSI transparency.  Trying to position another pod's IVA correctly while in IVA is not trivial - Mihara spent quite a bit of time on it, IIRC, and he never got it to work satisfactorily.  I vaguely recall in one of the Devnote Tuesdays that Squad was going to fix the IVA orientation, possibly in KSP 1.1, so it *may* be possible afterwards to finally enable JSI transparency from IVA.

Just in time for Christmas: RasterPropMonitor v0.24.2 is now live on GitHub and KerbalStuff.  This fixes one debug spam bug, and it adds a couple of minor features (configurable horizontal strips in the HUD, and the ability to use named variables in the mapped variable range).