How to cheat science now?

WaveFunctionP

OK, so for just a simple question topic, but my old methods don't seem to work.

I tried to use the f12 menu, and added all nodes and unlocked all parts, but it doesn't save when i exit the tech building. And holding the menu button doesn't give the option to add science anymore, so how does one cheat science now?

You need to edit your persistent.sfs with notepad. If you bought the game on steam the path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\saves\nameOfYourSaveGameHere

Make a backup of this file first just in case.

Find this part of your file:

SCENARIO
{
name = ResearchAndDevelopment
scene = 7, 8, 5, 6
sci = 115.1139
Tech

Edit the line sci = to "sci = 99999"

1. Open up the persistent.sfs file in a text editor.
  2. Search for "name = ResearchAndDevelopment"
  3. Just under that you'll see "sci = 61.98388" (the number will be different for you)
  4. Change that number to something big.
  5. Save, exit, and reload your game.

[EDIT]

6. Get ninja'd. :D

I guess the only point to doing this is that you want to play an economic game without bothering with the science? Because, of course, if you just want to play sandbox, that's already there.

Or more likely, someone has a different playing style and uses a shortcut now and then when the game pushes you towards some contracts that you simply don't find fun.

Missing 100 science for the LVN and a trip to Duna? It might just be more fun to cheat those 100 instead of doing yet another biome on mun :) Different people, different goals and different play styles.

I guess the only point to doing this is that you want to play an economic game without bothering with the science? Because, of course, if you just want to play sandbox, that's already there.

I find it very useful to test stuff, especially mods, that can only be tested in career mode.

Bring up the debug menu (Alt+F12), make sure it's selected, then hold down alt for five(-ish) seconds; that'll let you add/remove science, funds, and rep (at the bottom of the Cheats tab, the one open by default).

Yes, this was my usual method, but it doesn't work anymore as I mention, perhaps poorly, in the OP.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it very useful to test stuff, especially mods, that can only be tested in career mode.

^^ This.

I write addons and it is useful to be able to quickly cheat funds and science to test things.

I write addons and it is useful to be able to quickly cheat funds and science to test things.

If that's the case, wouldn't it be fairly simple just to write a quick plugin to do so? (Although, it would be nice if the dev menu worked)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.