Who else played since 2013 and never used FAR? We have to learn half of the game a second time!

Farex

Greetings from Berk!

Well, as I was flying high as KSP 1.0 was in sight, I knew that all my glorious crafts and SSTOs would not work like they did before.

But I was not prepared for THIS. I have about 250 hours in KSP says my counter here, and all I flew through was the "soup" Squad did as the "air-model". Yeah, pretty much flying like a dragon :P But now, well I made it to the mun and into kerbol-orbit and back, but it just doesn't feel right to me. It's as if I lost half of my tail or something (....)

Who else is with me and has to learn half of the game a second time? The new airmodel is great, but it is currently very challenging in a bad way(at least for me). Old habits die hard.

Edited by Farex
Spelling issues

Don't remember when in 2013 I started, shortly before the Forum Incident I think. And only picked up FAR a few weeks ago. Learning how to fly again has been a whole lot of fun.

Took 3-4 hours in a new career game last night to get a ship in to orbit, but when I did it was just as satisfying as the first time I did it, way back when.

I do. I played near 1000 hours since 2013 I think. First flights on KSP 1.0 were quite messy but even if I used Mechjeb to define maneuvers a lot until now, I'm so used to maneuvers and procedures that I was able to get to Mun and back without patching conic (took quite a few tries because of delta V reading missing but since I played sandbox for so long, it was quite satisfying to get tihngs right without any assistance). It's true it feels like learning a lot again but it feels more natural than previous air model too. For now I'm getting to mun and back in career mode and the difficulty don't bother me (at least there IS a risk something may turn ugly) : getting smart solutions (or dumb ones) to technical problems is, for me, KSP's most fun part.

I am sure with time comes wisdom, and right now my head has to do this switch over to "forget all you know and learn anew".

Yesterday I flew a small aircraft for exploration mission on kerbin. It certainly flys better than in the old days, until you pass mach 1.

Yay, so much new stuff. I can't wait to get to Duna and Eve and learning by crashing all over again^^

Oh dear kerbal, did I have a rough start with the new rocket flight mechanics. It really doesn't help that early career mode basically forces you to build long thin rockets without access to wings or fins. No matter if I went into the gravity turn steep or shallow I would always flip out at basically the same elapsed time. Then it clicked that I was going transonic at that time, and it all totally made sense. It still wasn't easy to re-learn everything, but from then on it was so cool to know that it really is more realistic. Since then I have flown some basic career path planes, which are now such a dream to fly. Previously I always hated planes, but I think I might be a convert with the new atmosphere. Overall, after some rough times, I think this is going to be great and really wish I had tried FAR earlier.

Oh yeah, I struggled with this, you have to let go of your preconceptions, as an example, I was struggling to get to orbit, as I was thinking "well I'm practically horizontal at 25k - 30k this is never going to reach orbit" and reverting my flights, but actually it works.

The other thing is learning to not take off with any more than 1.5 twr, and figuring out the point where it's OK to open up the throttle (not quite there yet, I'm getting 3700-4000 dv to orbit, so I know I can do better)

I know I was terefied of going FAR but after reading about the unrealistic souposphere i decided to force myself to install it. Yes, I had plenty of my rockets doing flips and then i learned something: how to do a propper gravity turn. Pick up some vertical speed (100 m/s) and pitch to 85-80 deg. and the rocket flies itself. All you have to do to control you drop to horizontalit is to play with the throttle.

Never used FAR but for the most part I'm liking the new atmo model. I can use basic jet engines, cruise at 5km and not take forever to get anywhere for Kerbin survey missions...and having working flaps makes landing a hell of a lot easier...

Oh yeah, so after something like ten flights, i remind now, "T" is used to activate the sas could be usefull for ascent sure xDr ; )

kinda like that here too, almost 2 year without playin on a regular basis since science first implementation, wanted to do that to real appreciate the progress made, career, kerbals xp, contracts, ksc upgrade, new parts, all that is really lovely ; ) I even wish i could had waited a few more to play again but heh ksp got me ; )

can't wait to test other new feature ; ) just starting getting used to how to make my way trough contract and science mechanics.

(speaking of new aero model in itself don't make much difference to me, it's just a logical implementation to get used too imho)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

i used far for about 2 hours about a year ago, and said 'nope' then got rid of it.

used NEAR for a little while earlier this year, but as i mostly played with rockets... it also was a 'nope' moment.

TBH - Your best bet is likely going to be to switch away from the new model to FAR (or NEAR) as soon as possible after they're updated. This new model is just driving me crazy, it feels even worse than what we had before. Some things that should fly well can't do anything at all, and other things that shouldn't stand a chance at flying are doing so just fine. The brick wall that is ~20k is driving me nuts as well. My engines flame out far lower than they used to, and I have to fly far slower than I used to at any level where they can operate at.. I haven't even been able to test reentry with a spaceplane because I haven't managed to get anything worth calling a serviceable plane into orbit.

Can't wait for FAR and B9 to be updated, so missing those two.

Played since late 2013, have 600+ hours under my belt. Planes feel drastically easier for me in new aero; back in the souposphere I could barely fly them. Rockets... they're a bit tricky now but still can do it. Unfortunately I'm still doing it wrong as getting to orbit required 6100m/s of Delta-V for me. :huh:

It feels like I have to relearn half of KSP.

But you know what? I love it! :D I actually love the fact that reentry has me thinking "I am going to die!" Suddenly there's real risk. Now that the soupospher is gone I actually have to use fins. :)

2013? n00b. ;)

Yeah, I'm facing a rather stiff learning curve myself - I'm coming off a version-frozen .24 sandbox save that I was wrapping up all nice and proper. I have to learn everything - the new VAB tools, budgets, contracts, facility upgrades, crew training, and oh yeah, aerodynamics...

Been playing since 2012(i think, been a long time). First play session with 1.0 made me feel stupid again.

Second time, screwing with planes, I seen the way things reacted at speed. How the parts flex. What coming out of the velocity vector did.

Third time earlier today, I got a 10 stage solid rocket bomb into an 85km orbit just by the slight flex in the rocket from the early thicker atmo. It turned itself over in a pretty good gravity turn. I was happy. So I took it further. Pretty soon I had it mostly figured out, well enough to get things into orbit again.

Now I understand why people use FAR. Or NEAR. Ill still stick with whatever Squad calls stock aerodynamics though. Its not absolutely real, but then again none of the game is. Its all like 1/6th real anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.