"Invisibity" in .dds textures (not transparency) - Does anyone know how to fix? + images

HafCoJoe

Hello! I've run into the issue where big portions of the .dds part texture files are "invisible" when showing up. I've sent a message to a SQUAD dev on this matter as well (though he hasn't checked his inbox haha). NOTE that this isn't a transparency issue. No matter how many times I merge images, these sections remain completely invisible.

Here are three pictures explaining the issue*:

Stock unedited .DDS

E7EnhWQ.png

The red circled question mark shows where the invisible portion of the texture is. This section of the texture is supposed to be the top of the piece.

It shows up in game, but is completely invisible when editing regardless of transparency.

Highlighted .DDS

gsZFjSk.png

This snip shows where the invisible portion is. You can highlight it through similar color matching with a nearby part, but it appears as though there is no way to make it actually visible for editing.

1000+ layer merge to remove transparency

nK0neSF.png

Still transparent after merging 1000+ copies of the same image on top of each other, the invisible textures remain invisible. Is there any way to fix this!

*I would imgur link it but the new embeds are straight trash regarding captions

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the read,

- Avera9eJoe

Oh dear, that looks like the 100% transparency thing, which I've previously managed to do to myself a lot by flattening a texture with an alpha layer.

I think you can select the transparency layer and fill just that layer with 100% black and the RGB layers should become visible again? (depending on how it's been applied)

[Edit] This was in GIMP where applying the alpha mask (i.e. turning it into a regular layer) does very annoying things

Edited by NoMrBond

You're in Photoshop, right? Open the channels pallet, turn off the alpha channel.

Not Photoshop, Paint.net. I may end up installing photoshop for this reason. It appears paint.net doesn't have a "disable transparency" feature.

OMG OMGOMG ERMAGERDOMG I FOUND A PLUGIN THAT FIXES THIS!!! Sorry about the yelling but you would be surprised how wide my smile is right now :D.

Thank you so much for mentioning "Alpha Channel" guys.

fOSXu5R.png

• 3 years later...

Uhh About This Can you Tell me More Details about How you Fixed the Tranparency Problem?

As i have Experienced this and Could not find any Solution Than Buying a Photoshop I am Using Paint.net Rn And I have Searched "Alpha Channel" But i could not find any plug ins for this in paint.net

Thank You

1 hour ago, Soggykavin said:

Uhh About This Can you Tell me More Details about How you Fixed the Tranparency Problem?

As i have Experienced this and Could not find any Solution Than Buying a Photoshop I am Using Paint.net Rn And I have Searched "Alpha Channel" But i could not find any plug ins for this in paint.net

Thank You

GIMP also supports directly editing the alpha channel (which is used sometimes for transparency but really is an arbitrary data channel, in this case being used for specular data)

2 hours ago, Soggykavin said:

Thank You

easy solution - in whatever image editor you are using that can edit tranparencies all you need to do is create a rectangle that is solid black that covers the whole image and then make the big black thing the background of the image

done, you can see everything ... not complicated in the least

You can also copy the whole image (ctrl A to select all, ctrl C to copy) then paste 5 to 10 copies of the image on top of one another, select all but one of those images and then flatten the selection into one layer .... stick that layer as the background, lock the layer and then get to work doing your thing on the top layer in the image ... you'll be editing the image as it is saved but have the 'denser' image underneath that lets you see the image below

Those are two approaches and there are a couple more but the above should suit your purposes and the software you are using

Hope this helps :)

Thanks to both of You guys I managed to Get this Problem Sorted out :D I am really thankful As i have been finding the solution to this problem 24/7 and I never knew it was this simple to get this Problem Fixed,Now i feel like i should be much more clever :blush: The 2nd Solution is what i did Cause the 1st One was just to Dense, For What i am editing rn 

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! 

• 5 years later...