Drunken pilot challenge

Jeb, Bill, Bob and Val kerman have had one(maybe six) too many drinks today! But... they were still supposed to go to the base on the island to deliver some building plans(they apparently don't have internet there)! Fly them there safely and you will be rewarded with pints of beer as long as stocks last in the control tower!

Objective

-Fly the craft provided in the link below to the island runway and land it there. Provide a screenshot as proof that all four kerbals survived.

Rules:

-Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing: as long as all four kerbals make it there alive, the objective is complete.

-Do not use any mods other than visual mods.

-Do not modify the craft provided in any way whatsoever.

Here's the download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cg6b3k5mqh1dxou/Drunken%20plane.craft?dl=0

Good luck, gentlemen!

Oh, dear, what have we here? :)

This might be interesting, downloading .craft now.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. This thing doesn't go the way you want, and the opposite way also doesn't make it go the way you want. :huh:

Define "Modifying"... Can we do stuff to the ship in-flight?

EDIT:

WHOAH, Nellie! :D

YkIRgNg.png

Edited by Starwhip

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. This thing doesn't go the way you want, and the opposite way also doesn't make it go the way you want. :huh:

Define "Modifying"... Can we do stuff to the ship in-flight?

well trimming is okay, but do not do things like adjust wether a control surface does pitch or yaw. general rule is: if you can modify it in the same way in the hangar as in-flight it is not allowed. if it is something like trimming, which you can only do in-flight, it is no problem.

you could even fly close to the ground and get rid of a wing you don't want :sticktongue:, although I would not recommend doing that.

Thought so. Those darn rear canards are giving me hell. Here goes nothing with taking them off! :D

BYMtNiL.png

I might have missed a bit.

49wjrCd.png

Almost got the VAB to do the job for me. I then promptly oversteered and hit the ground.

This isn't so much of a "Drunken Plane" challenge as it is a "Get used to the realistic drag forces" challenge. The thing flies great until you try to change direction, then it dies.

EDIT:

Oooh, there be airbrakes! :D I'm gonna deploy those and see what happens.

Also, what the heck?!

rK6z0o8.png

I crashed and it took me to this.

Edited by Starwhip

well it wants to flip in reverse all the time and it behaves strangely during take-off. sometimes you don't even make it off the runway.

The tailsitter design coupled with downforce on takeoff gives you landing gear buckle, and that, as we know, is not a good thing.

She flies "well" at low speed, but still needs serious babying to avoid flipping around. But as long you keep throttle below 20% or so, the flight is not too bad. The landing is comically difficult though, since the landing gear practically flap in the breeze.

screenshot122.png?dl=0

screenshot124.png?dl=0

• 3 weeks later...

haha this was great fun, managed it first try, although i must admit I have never approached a runway from quite that angle before...:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ok so it was next to the runway, close enough!

seriously though I don't know how you managed it, that thing flies like hell and goes all over the place, and yet somehow is amazingly resilient to actually falling out of the sky, this was the first time I actually decelerated to TWO m/s and somehow was still not falling horrendously and managed to bring it back under control, I found that when it starts to slip, if you aim up and accelerate loads, then flip over upside down and right yourself, everything stays kind-sorta-maybe-not quite-ok

• 3 weeks later...

Wooooo! I did it! Barely! It landed right next to the runway on the hill:

(Proof that they are alive :D)

7D0F94970A23468079FB56933457E14A56C92E46

A8A4EF18679B8895FE54898DF064B279EC39959A

It was a problem to fly, kept "breakdancing" in the sky, but I eventually had my own little "pattern" for doing it!

30FB067E88A9CBD2ADA5BF4C57F954543D59108D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.