Two observations of 1.0

Foxster

For rockets: the shells, adding of nose cones, streamlining, etc and such is a waste of time. The extra mass is worse than the extra drag. I've put some pretty hefty rockets up now with 100s of parts and I've started ignoring the drag and its made no difference; I can still put them in orbit for 1500 less dV than pre-1.0. As long as you don't go mad with the TWR and add a few fins then they fly fine with no problems.

vMNPdF6.jpg

I'm turning off heat. There is nothing in the game to tell you that something is overheating (apart from a debug option that I refuse to use and even then you don't know at what temp a part will fail). Stuff just fails or blows up randomly. This adds zero to the gameplay for me. Its gone.

That seems to fit with the idea of having an aerodynamic model that is somewhat "realistic" but still allows for silly #lolsokerbal contraptions, as the devs wanted it to be. For really unforgiving aero, I think FAR will still be needed. I read some of the things that Ferram was saying about the development of the new FAR and it sounds quite amazing.

Still, I can't believe you put that thing in orbit. I would never dare, not even with the soup aerodynamics.

I'm turning off heat. There is nothing in the game to tell you that something is overheating (apart from a debug option that I refuse to use and even then you don't know at what temp a part will fail). Stuff just fails or blows up randomly. This adds zero to the gameplay for me. Its gone.

+1

I turned off instant the heat mess and deleted all the Ore thingy instascan stuff.

I've noticed the capsules don't produce any lift. :/

D87A76D335EC08C08ED876DECCDFB69681E0D7DE

+1

I turned off instant the heat mess and deleted all the Ore thingy instascan stuff.

I've cranked the heat to maximum and I'm getting no problems. My shields lose less than 15% of the ablator. It's about learning how to fly rockets and flying spaceships in general. Learn it.

Also, you can alt+F12 and turn on thermal data so you can see the temperatures of each part.

Edited by lajoswinkler

For rockets: the shells, adding of nose cones, streamlining, etc and such is a waste of time. The extra mass is worse than the extra drag. I've put some pretty hefty rockets up now with 100s of parts and I've started ignoring the drag and its made no difference; I can still put them in orbit for 1500 less dV than pre-1.0. As long as you don't go mad with the TWR and add a few fins then they fly fine with no problems.

http://i.imgur.com/vMNPdF6.jpg

Does that top part count as a nose cone? Just wondering because someone posted yesterday that the nose cones have unlimited drag resistance to any part under it. Meaning if you have tiny 1.5 cone on top of a large 3.5 vessel. That cone will Aero Protect the whole craft.

Not sure what came of that post though or if its true.. Just an observation.

Does that top part count as a nose cone? Just wondering because someone posted yesterday that the nose cones have unlimited drag resistance to any part under it. Meaning if you have tiny 1.5 cone on top of a large 3.5 vessel. That cone will Aero Protect the whole craft.

Not sure what came of that post though or if its true.. Just an observation.

That's a good thought, but no, I've just got a stack of octo struts on there now and it still flies fine. I took that tailpiece off because it blew up once for no apparent reason.

That's a good thought, but no, I've just got a stack of octo struts on there now and it still flies fine. I took that tailpiece off because it blew up once for no apparent reason.

Interesting. I take that to mean your forcing that thing up in a graceful kerbal way. With a very high TWR. :)

Most plane parts like the tail has 2000 heat resistance. So yah...

Interesting. I take that to mean your forcing that thing up in a graceful kerbal way. With a very high TWR. :)

Most plane parts like the tail has 2000 heat resistance. So yah...

Not especially high TWR - 1.8.

I've noticed the capsules don't produce any lift. :/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/28489013026972624/D87A76D335EC08C08ED876DECCDFB69681E0D7DE/

I've cranked the heat to maximum and I'm getting no problems. My shields lose less than 15% of the ablator. It's about learning how to fly rockets and flying spaceships in general. Learn it.

Also, you can alt+F12 and turn on thermal data so you can see the temperatures of each part.

I'm getting little bar graphs showing me when things go critical...

I feel like they are going to make it so that parachutes can burn up if deployed too early (during re-entry). Not a 100% feeling, but more of a gut feeling, because it seems too cheaty.

I had a parachute overheat before being deployed yesterday.

The rest of the ship was fine and the chute was on the end of the pod facing away from the ground.

All the other chutes were just fine :huh:

I had a parachute overheat before being deployed yesterday.

Yes, that's “normal.†Packed chutes behave like any other part when it comes to heat damage. It's the deployed chutes that are insensitive to heat.

Yes, that's “normal.†Packed chutes behave like any other part when it comes to heat damage. It's the deployed chutes that are insensitive to heat.

I wonder if that's a bug - shouldn't it be the other way around?

Packed chutes are susceptible to temperature damage as any other part. For the unpacked, I think the base is still susceptible, but the chute itself isn't. And since it stops you almost instantly, your base doesn't heat up anymore.

Edited by monstah
spelling

Sounds like this bug, though that doesn't account for those radially attached science labs. But it looks like you have enough oomph on that lifter to muscle through the 20km or so where drag really matters. With heat turned off you could even do it at a fair clip.

I feel like they are going to make it so that parachutes can burn up if deployed too early (during re-entry). Not a 100% feeling, but more of a gut feeling, because it seems too cheaty.

Hopefully, it will get remade. I don't understand why RealChutes haven't become a stock thing. It's right there, total developed parachute system that works realistically and with elegance.

Packed chutes are susceptible to temperature damage as any other part. For the unpacked, I think the base is still susceptible, but the chute itself isn't. And since it stops you almost instantly, your base doesn't heat up anymore.

If that's not a bug, I don't know what is.

Would thermometers work?

It would be awkward to have to put one on every part and monitor it.

There was enough about heat and engines in 0.9. I don't think what they added was anything anyone was looking for.

I kind of have the impression at this point that the whole aero revamp was for the benefit of planes, which most people here appear to focus on. It certainly hasn't helped me any with rockets. Still fun to tweak with though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.