[Windows] KSP won't "accept" Joystick axes

36 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

What controller are you using?

Saitek AV8R - 03 (PC/Playstation), on OSX El Capitan.

I can config the inputs in settings, in game, but when in flight, nothing happens with axis use, but all buttons work.

Edited by Climberfx

16 minutes ago, Climberfx said:

Saitek AV8R - 03 (PC/Playstation), on OSX El Capitan.

I don't have one of these unfortunately, if there is no name in the file then it has no name that Unity can read with Input.GetJoystickNames, Squad might be able to work around that by assigning a name to the controller, I can ask for it to be looked at for the next update.

3 hours ago, sal_vager said:

I don't have one of these unfortunately, if there is no name in the file then it has no name that Unity can read with Input.GetJoystickNames, Squad might be able to work around that by assigning a name to the controller, I can ask for it to be looked at for the next update.

One try it showed the full name when i click on settings menu, "Saitek Aviator for Playstation 3/PC", but last try, it show only JOY0.1, JOY0.2, etc.

27 minutes ago, Climberfx said:

edit:

I also tried with PS3 controller, same result.

Hmm, now that is strange, I have a ps4 gamepad here and it works in KSP, though I'm on Linux (Xubuntu 16.04 LTS)

I do know that the controller has to be plugged in before you start KSP, or axis bindings won't work, that matches the symptom you describe.

Another possible cause could be your computers language settings, KSP is supposed to be locale invariant, it's an option in the Unity engine to ignore the users locale and use . (period) for the decimal delimiter amongst other things.

Some Linux users are reporting they have to use LC_ALL=C or their settings do not save.

Maybe you can try starting KSP from the command line with LC_ALL=C KSP.app

30 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Hmm, now that is strange, I have a ps4 gamepad here and it works in KSP, though I'm on Linux (Xubuntu 16.04 LTS)

I do know that the controller has to be plugged in before you start KSP, or axis bindings won't work, that matches the symptom you describe.

Another possible cause could be your computers language settings, KSP is supposed to be locale invariant, it's an option in the Unity engine to ignore the users locale and use . (period) for the decimal delimiter amongst other things.

Some Linux users are reporting they have to use LC_ALL=C or their settings do not save.

Maybe you can try starting KSP from the command line with LC_ALL=C KSP.app

My system is always in original english language, but gonna try those other possibilities, besides the one that it must be already on and plugged before i already did, gonna try again.

Gonna use USB instead of Bluetooth.

• 5 weeks later...

Found a work-around.  For my specifics, I'm running with the CH Pro Throttle and Combat Stick.  I suspect the problem is the strings are too similar in the settings.cfg, as "Control Manager ID #00" and probably "Control Manager ID #01."  Maybe KSP only reads the first 10 characters or something, I don't know.

I'm already running Universal Joystick Remapper to combine my rudder toe-brakes into a single axis (I use this for forward/reverse translation).

Since, KSP reads UJR's vJoy ok, I just mapped my stick's X & Y axis to it too, and bound those in game like normal (using UJR's instructions).

Alternatively, if you're using CH Manager, run in Combined Mode instead of Direct mode, but then you can't map many of the Throttle buttons.

Edited by Soda Popinski

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.