Kids these days

Herpderpsslerps

I agreed with the OP opinion, however, internet is not the problem, but the modern gadgets (Smartphone\'s, tablets ect) who cause really this problem. In the past, less then 10% of the western people are not addicted on internet, now in this time with all that gadgets, almost at least 40% have almost, or is addicted on internet.

[citation needed]

The main difference between now and ages past is the instant gratification that technology has brought. This has stunted the ability of today\'s youth to wait for anything longer than a few seconds. I see less and less kids able to sit still doing nothing for more than a minute or two before they start getting antsy.

Also, the instant information we get these days is less about imparting the facts, like news used to do, but more about entertaining or inflaming the consumer into a specific mindset. The news media has become a tool used to manipulate and control those that consume it. There was a time when you would read or watch the news and all you got was facts, not conjecture or opinion, but the facts that were known and no more. Opinions were still there, but they were always clearly labeled as opinion such as the OpEd column of a newspaper or the commentary segment at the end of a news broadcast. That\'s all been rolled into the news itself making the value of said news worthless. This can clearly be seen by comparing a US news broadcast to one from another country such as the BBC covering US news. The slant and bias becomes glaringly obvious.

The problem with saying today\'s youth won\'t be able to handle tomorrows future often fails to consider that those same youth will be many years older by then and hopefully wiser. Unfortunately, it seems less and less likely that\'s what will happen.

Now...

GET OFFA MY LAWN!

Arrr!

Capt\'n Skunky

I\'m 15 now (almost 16), and I can say you that I don\'t have a smartphone or a facebook account. It\'s not that my parents whould forbid it or that I don\'t have the money, I just don\'t need it. And I can wait for months for things to release, absolutely no problem.

However, if I think back to when I was 12, I have to say that I spammed useless topics and wrote posts that are not helpful at all too. And if I think back to my kindergarten placement some weeks ago, I really wondered how much influence modern technology has for some. Some have a game console, smartphone and TV with 3 to 4 years.

So it\'s education, not technology. You just meet the internet too early.

At least in my opinion.

I am 12 now, I think I was saved from internet-induced stupidity because I grew up in the country side. Didn\'t even know what a computer or internet was, except for the old white box which me and my dad sometimes used to play some Wolfenstein 3D on, started semi-actively browsing the internet just some two years ago, I was amazed by peoples stupidity because I grew up reading comics and encyclopedias.

Ya know, I kinda agree with Skunky. Computers are bringing info to you faster than before, and causing instant gratification. Here\'s the twist: We\'re only looking at the bad side right now. The technology of the future is going to be based on computers, and IMO will make for the social changes with things that will improve the quality of life greatly.

Just 2 cents from a 14-year-old.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and * iamwearingpants steps off Skunky\'s lawn

I\'m 14, and hate it so much. I have to be grouped with the people responsible for making the internet\'s outlook on us go so wrong. Really wish i could have been born in the early 90\'s or mid 80\'s. Would be so worth it.

Same with me, just wouldn\'t want to live in a different times, till 1991. Latvia was occupied by USSR.

I actually wish I were born later. I have nearly no chance of ever fulfilling my dream of living on mars. I wouldn\'t want to be born so far forward that spaceflight is taken for granted, but enough so that I could actually see the dang planet.

I actually wish I were born later. I have nearly no chance of ever fulfilling my dream of living on mars. I wouldn\'t want to be born so far forward that spaceflight is taken for granted, but enough so that I could actually see the dang planet.

If you can swim 2 miles in a flight suit and sneakers, then you\'re certainly getting on the right path..

I still feel heavily stereotyped, not because I am defending a lie, but because I feel that people expect those my age to be idiotic. While most people my age are idiotic in every way possible, I have found that there is a small percentage of us that are practically more intelligent then average. For example, I truthfully can say that my peers do know what is wrong these days, but have no possible motivation to show this knowledge. I have seen this myself, the fact that many these days do want to learn, do want to think, do want to work hard. The problem is, we have idiots, which is fine, but they are more vocal then ever. It appears that these days, bad influences are able to corrupt the geniuses of my generation because they can always be around. I have also realized that when someone believes they are entitled to everything, the more they were raised with whatever they wanted. I will admit, I was raised with the best technology and food all the time, and now I want said items continuously. I have learned a valuable lesson though; that you should exploit weaknesses in yourself to improve yourself. These days, I am now the one to call when something goes wrong and a computer starts exploding with smoke everywhere. (albeit I still cannot fix hardware, need lessons in that) The sad thing is that adolesents have found nothing worth continuing on for, as it can feel that we hold a greater share of the bargain then our parents. This is at least partially true, as we are expected to do far more work then years past (a teacher told us, ha!) and my generation will have to pay off trillions of dollars in debt accumulated from all groups, all backgrounds, and all types (thinking that using 'types' might be offensive) of previous generations. It is a truly imposing outcome regarding the future, but the current generation will make it. Of course, many things that are said by others here have viable evidence, but that was not the point of this.

From a 13 year old in the Middle Atlantic region of the contiguous United States.

If you can swim 2 miles in a flight suit and sneakers, then you\'re certainly getting on the right path..

The thing is, I\'m not counting on being a NASA astronaut. I want to be born in a time when it starts to become easy (i.e. it\'s not just NASA doing it), but not so far forward that it\'s routine. I don\'t want to be the first; i just want to be there.

And i know it\'s pretty far-fetched, but Mars is pretty f*cking awesome

-snip large rant-

My thoughts exactly. But you have to remember that even when you make something idiot-proof, Nature herself invents a better idiot.

Another sobering fact is to look at the average intelligence. Average. By the very definition, half of people are smarter, but half are less intelligent. :(

Just some perspective from another 16-year-old internet kid.

Same here. I\'m 15 and I completely differ from anyone in my class, which makes me uncool, but I don\'t care at all about that.

If a 14 years old who drinks alcohol and smokes thinks that I suck, eh well, I\'ll probably live longer ;P

• 2 weeks later...

Let\'s call it. Some are happy with the internet and some aren\'t.

The issue isn\'t the internet as much as it is the reliance on it and technology. Most people would die without the aid of electricity as they wouldn\'t know what to do without it, and so many people rely on electric heat and stoves.

My age is 12, I never bugged a developer for not releasing something with and without good reason.

Most people don\'t know that good things take time, and they don\'t think , at all.

In the forums of games that I\'ve played, I always see people (14-17) who do some extremely stupid stuff, I hate to give examples of people being stupid , so I\'m just going by memory.

'i m da mighty (InsertPersonnamehere) , da ruler of da game'

He is 14 ( I think) and when I said to him 'Dude, use proper grammar/spelling' he replied 'who cares about grammer my friend got a D- in english'

, I blame the fact that most gamers are American, and pre-pubescent. From what I know, America has one of the worst education systems.

Arcane, I am American. Meanwhile, I do all of the heavy grunt work (assembling stuff, fixing stuff, running a large home network) at the age of 13. I started at 9. Please, do not stereotype us Americans. Thank you, and have a nice day!

<- Is 17 and agrees with OP entirely.

Is it weird to long for the simplicity of a past you didn\'t experience?

I have that with the 60\'s. Although I\'m kinda convinced it\'s normal to dislike your own time and see better things in the past or maybe the future. In the end everyone will always have samey-kind of surprisingly similar problems, being human and all, the times and environment just fills in the details.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.