Shouldn't Squad Release Updates to Popular Modders First?

sp1989

Should the "Popular" Modder have Early Access to Updates?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Popular" Modder have Early Access to Updates?

• Yes
    • No

Now I know this has been a complaint for quite a long time within the KSP community and I am not a modder. However as a member of this community for quite sometime this is a problem I have noticed and I feel it needs to be addressed. Wouldn't errors and mistakes such as the ones found in 1.0 be avoided by releasing a test releases to a wide range of the community. KSP is a game that is obviously a game that can be and is heavily modded. Mods are an important part of the appeal to the game and I would say that 9 out 10 players use at least one mod. So releasing an update for any modder who has over say 5,000 downloads, Squad should give them an early release of the game. This is effective in two ways. It allows more people to test the updates before release. Two, and most importantly wouldn't it make sense that the people who make the game better for so many people have early access to the game? So they in turn can have their updates ready to go for the next update. I mean how many people waited for their favorite mods to be updated before they played 1.0. And now that 1.01 and 1.02 updates have been released many mods that were updated are now broken again. This isn't just frustrating for the people who play and consume mods but for the people who make and maintain mods, it must be excruciatingly frustrating. Modders don't get paid they release things out because they want to share with the community. Squad should recognize that yes they have made a wonderful game but if it wasn't for the modders and the mods many people would have stopped playing after their first 10 runs to the Mun and back. So they should show respect to the modders of this community and that would be allowing them early access so that they can update their mods accordingly. Now these updates are supposed to come few and far between now. So I think for the future the popular modders....nay the essential modders should and need early releases of updates so that they can ensure that the game doesn't break their mods, and they have time to update instead of cobbling together fixes themselves. I feel that this would truly benefit Squad and the KSP community.

Although i understand where you are coming from, unless the modders happen to be on the experimentals/QA team, i dont believe they should get any preferential treatment. That + i believe at least some of the mainstream modders are either on one of these teams, or are given some limited access already. i dont thing all modders should get it before population. heck, i can and have done some mods, helped here and there with a few things, but i dont feel any more entitled to the updates then anyone else in the community. Why should i get earlier access just because im capable of modding the game.

that, and if this does ever get implemented, im guessing there will be alot of bogus modders thatll just claim to make mods (or redistribute something as proof they mod), just to get early access to content. Its a bad idea imo.

I think most popular modders have early access already. I think that would open up a can of worms that shouldn't be opened.

Modders or youtubers?

This sounds like a terrible idea, full stop.

Why should everyone else have to wait for a release simply so mods can be updated? Why can't people who use mods exclusively (who are the minority) just wait a few extra days for the mods to be updated (like the way it is now)? There are a lot of mods users for this game, I have no doubt. I use mods too; however, I also have no problem with playing stock (especially for a few days after release).

If you wanted the mods to be updated before you played, it would make no difference anyway. You would either have to wait a few days after the release for the mods to be updated (like you do now), or you would be forcing everyone to wait those few days to play, even if they only wanted to play stock. What you're suggesting is unfair and unnecessary.

Edited by nAssailant

Although i understand where you are coming from, unless the modders happen to be on the experimentals/QA team, i dont believe they should get any preferential treatment. That + i believe at least some of the mainstream modders are either on one of these teams, or are given some limited access already. i dont thing all modders should get it before population. heck, i can and have done some mods, helped here and there with a few things, but i dont feel any more entitled to the updates then anyone else in the community. Why should i get earlier access just because im capable of modding the game.

that, and if this does ever get implemented, im guessing there will be alot of bogus modders thatll just claim to make mods (or redistribute something as proof they mod), just to get early access to content. Its a bad idea imo.

If you have created an essential mod or a ubiquitous mod such as KW,flight engineer, kerbal alarm clock, Nova Punch, ATM, etc. You absolutely have the the right to preferential treatment.

No, because not everyone uses mods. If the update is ready, but not the mods for it, then the people who don't use mods are waiting for nothing. 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 were small patches meant to fix the bugs missed in 1.0 and should take priority over mods because every user could experience them. In fact, mod makers would have to deal with different internal versions like these patches if they were given an early incomplete copy. If they were given a finish product, then again, people are waiting for nothing. Some popular mod makers are part of the experimental and QA process though.

Also, where did 9 out of 10 players come from?

If you have created an essential mod or a ubiquitous mod such as KW,flight engineer, kerbal alarm clock, Nova Punch, ATM, etc. You absolutely have the the right to preferential treatment.

I simply don't agree. Since mods are optional, they're developed and released pro bono, and I paid for the game just like they did, I do not believe they deserve special treatment. Also, "Essential" and "Mod" are words that ought not be used together.

Edited by nAssailant

There's also some of us that have decided we don't want early access as it comes along with the obligation not to discuss upcoming changes, and of course, the responsibility to act as a tester.

I don't think Squad is at all unreceptive to modders having such access.

Well I am humble enough to recognize when I have spoken out of turn and without doing my proper due diligence. Can a moderator please close this thread?

Youtubers and Twitchers are in the media group and get access to early builds but don't have full experimental access (so no direct access or requirement to squash bugs) but hey are still under an NDA and the rollout of preview content is coordinated with Squad.

Modders have a similar group for the same purpose, with access to builds and info but not a part of the exp team. So they can do early work, but that isn't always as easy as it seems since testing can result in big changes happening between builds, and a lot of work going down the drain. So its a balancing act.

Of course modders and media dudes have also always been a part of the experimental teams (and QA) as well, but as Flowerchild says that comes with responsibility to actually be a tester and modding comes after that. Slacking off during tests gets you a frowny face from Ted, and you don't want one of those :P

Guys... there are modders and youtubers (the Media Team) who have access to experimentals. It's not really a question right now.

As I said I clearly spoke out of turn. I posted with haste and I am not a modder so clearly my inexperience on that matter contributed to this confusing thread so again please can a moderator close this thread.

I simply don't agree. Since mods are optional, they're developed and released pro bono, and I paid for the game just like they did, I do not believe they deserve special treatment. Also, "Essential" and "Mod" are words that ought not be used together.

I disagree. Modders bought the game *and* developed something that extends the game further. They went the extra mile. They absolutely deserve a small degree of "special treatment". And let's keep this in perspective, not giving updates to modders as part of the experimentals process will not result in the updates hitting mainstream any quicker, but it would increase the time required to update mods.