Stock SRB XL edition

grimkriz

Hi peoples I love this game and just finished my last piece of coursework at uni so I made something I have wanted since I first played this game.

Basically it is two solid SRBs duct taped together for longer boosting time. Below is the top secret prototype blueprints

xlsolidbooster%20promo.jpg?dl=1

here it is (extract the xlsolidbooster folder to the \'parts\' folder in KSP) https://www.dropbox.com/s/vksop7w3uqdll9q/xlsolidBooster.rar

UPDATE: Now works with version 15 of KSP!!

note: If anyone wants the old version (pre version 15) for whatever reason let me know and I\'ll make it available :)

In the cfg I simply doubled the fuel and weights so it *should* be balanced with other stock parts. any problems or errors in balancing let me know in this thread.

Credit for the model+textures goes to the KSP guys, I only added duct tape

I only changed these parameters to x2 what the stock SRB had. After testing it does last double a standard SRB :)

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 3.6

// --- solid booster parameters ---

dryMass = 0.72

internalFuel = 200

• 2 weeks later...

Here\'s an idea: Struts that look like duckt tape or tie-wraps!

But i don\'t think it will be easy to edit those

I wanted to make duct tape struts at one point, but me trying to learn Blender was like trying to teach calculus to a toddler. They would be pretty cool to have though ;)

hmmm ductape struts & decouplers... I could totally make that for 1.4/demo (I\'m still unsure about the new 1.5 file structure and formats).

I agree Blender is troublesome. I\'m using Maya 2012 to actually make the model then exporting it to Blender just to export it to KSP.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah I wanted Kerbal type things but it seems people want to push in the more realistic \'Orbiter\' direction. So here I am ::)

Is anybody getting lag when dragging the \'xlsolidbooster\' part from the menu in their V.A.B?

it seems to have no issue after it is placed in the viewport which is weird...

Doesn\'t lengthening a solid rocket just increase the thrust? You would need to widen the engine to extend the thrust time.

I\'m no rocket scientist, but I think widening the engine would increase the burn rate, while increasing the size would give more fuel, resulting in a longer burn time. Of course when it comes down to it, it just depends on what\'s in the part.cfg.

I\'m no rocket scientist, but I think widening the engine would increase the burn rate, while increasing the size would give more fuel, resulting in a longer burn time. Of course when it comes down to it, it just depends on what\'s in the part.cfg.

Actually, it\'s VERY complicated. ATK didn\'t just strap a 5th segment onto an existing Shuttle SRB. They also had to redesign the throat and nozzle, IIRC.

Rule of thumb: Longer booster, higher thrust. Wider booster, longer thrust. Just make sure that this Jeb-approved booster also overheats VERY fast ;)

Doesn\'t lengthening a solid rocket just increase the thrust? You would need to widen the engine to extend the thrust time.

Depends on what you do to the shape of the propellant.

This has got a little off topic but my opinion/design idea was 'just add more fuel to the stock SRB'. With that in mind if I were to make a higher thrust SRB I would make the nozzle bigger.

Regardless of realworld science a game will look how players think things \'should\' look. If it makes sense on first glance it is effective game design.

Back on topic: I assume there are no current issues with the version 15 download?

Also does anyone fancy posting a screenshot of their creations using the XL SRB? I\'m curious to see how different players use it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.