Rockets or Planes?

JackDugan

Do you prefer planes or rockets?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer planes or rockets?

• Planes
    • Rockets

Because a lot have people have become angry at the new aerodynamics and the new system doesn't affect rockets as much as planes, I'm curious as to which people prefer. I personally use rockets simply because I enjoy going interplanetary and have little skill with planes.

Rockets. There's something special about a superheavy lifter firing up on the pad (especially with the new smoke effects) and dropping off hundreds of tons of spent boosters and stages on it's way to orbit.

That, and rockets are simpler, easier and faster for getting stuff to orbit than spaceplanes. Right now rocket launches are cheap enough compared to the availability of funds that there's not much incentive for spaceplanes unless you enjoy the challenge.

Planes do have their place when exploring Kerbin, but the lower speed and limited warp options mean these missions take much more real time and I end up constantly having to make small corrections when flying my aircraft which gets quite tedious. Can't just warp to the next burn:)

Edited by Lord Aurelius

SSTO spaceplanes will still have a purpose, they're just not the "do it all" beasts they were in Beta. I think that's a good thing. To semi-reflect reality, interplanetary travel is still going to require big old rockets. And I like that.

I want to design both, and have a reason to design both. I figure spaceplanes will still be a fun and efficient way to deliver small payloads to LKO. And who knows, after some long engineering, I'm sure some large, beastly spaceplanes will accomplish much more than LKO deliveries. It's just not going to be as simple as Turbojet+nuke+wings+100intakes.

You need to make an option for both.

I was going to, but I realized too many people would choose both. If you like both, just say it. If you like one or the other better, vote. Edited by JackDugan

I was going to, but realized too many people would say both. I am just wondering which is more popular, not if people like both the same.

A third option wouldn't have prevented you from figuring out that. But is ok, you need a biased poll for get the results you want.

One more for both. They both have their place in the game. Granted, these days I have very little time for gaming and exploring the new KSP is happening in small steps so I haven't got down to planes yet but as soon as I have figured out this new rocket business, I will have a look at the planes. Even if I can't build a super light SSTO, I assume planes will be the bird of choice for low altitude contracts, as well as landing at hard to reach-by-rocket places on Kerbin.

Hmm, a poll isn't a poll when the choices don't cater for all options available.

Actually I like both and no I didn't find the 'new' atmosphere more difficult for either, I'd almost say on the contrary.

Greets,

Jan

I prefer to use planes. They are cheaper and more fun to design and test. However the 1.02 drag increases have made them very impractical, not one of my 0.90 or FAR designs can even reack 15k into the sky. Back to slapping on boosters and hoping I get the gravity turn right.

the three major things i even do in ksp is make SSTOs (and some of them cant quite SSTo so i guess planes), capital ships, and land vehicles. The only reason i even touch rockets is to launch said capital ships into orbit, and thats usually done with massively overkill rockets as i pretty much design one rocket type, and use it to launch 90% of everything i have, since i never really enjoyed making classical rockets, not gonna spend time on engineering perfect rockets to launch my stuff when a 500t lifter is capable of lifting 100t too :)

So im pretty much a plane flyer, and ofc i do alot of combat, so rarely do said planes last very long.

All rockets, all the time. I hate the spaceplanes, but it isn't Squad's fault. I hate every single flight simulator or flying game I've ever played. I have 500+ hours in a Piper Cherokee 140, and no sim model has ever flown like a real plane, IMO, so I just don't bother anymore.

Really, so much of flying a light plane is based in the sense of touch, I doubt I could be satisfied without, at the very least, a full force-feedback flight yoke and chair. Even in real planes, I used to get annoyed by "features" like electric flaps that take the pilot's sense of touch out of the equation. I'd get all sorts of data from the feel of the airflow as I pulled that big manual flap handle.

Once, I got a bug stuck in my pitot tube during landing. When I took off the next day, my first indication something was wrong was when the feel of the runway in my butt said I was going faster than the airspeed indicator claimed. [edit: yes, I checked the pitot during preflight, but the bug went in too deep to see. Took an air compressor to clean it out, and there was almost an inch of bug remains stuffed in there.]

Pilots of airliners and fighters may not have this fetish, but I have the soul of a bush pilot. :)

Edited by Beowolf

I've been a longtime fan of rockets because they're much easier to design and use, but in recent months I've gotten more invested in plane design.

Alas, I have yet to construct a cargo SSTO, so I voted rockets solely because they're my only way into space at this time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.