SLS might get a new name and take funding from Earth science programs

New name for Space Launch System gets backing of lawmakers

A push to give NASA’s Space Launch System a new name is garnering support from lawmakers, who have written into legislation provisions that would order NASA to rename the heavy-lift rocket through a competition among schoolchildren.

If passed into law, the bill would set policy for NASA and includes budget guidelines that would shuffle funding from the agency’s Earth science programs into other areas, primarily the Space Launch System, Orion crew capsule and robotic exploration of the solar system.

So I get that the name is uninspiring, but so was the STS. The worst thing is that it's going to take funding from Earth science programs.

It's quite obvious why they are taking away funding from the Earth science programs, that means the SLS needs to be named accordingly.

I'm opting for CO2.

Edited by Albert VDS

Ares IV. The Ares was supposedly cancelled with the constellation program, but the MPCV was brought back, then given back its name Orion. Ares should get its name back as well.

But it's clear why its taking funding from the Earth Science programs. Ted Cruz, antiscience senator, is in control of NASA funding. Of course he doesn't like the political implications of the climate science program, so he's putting it to "better" efforts.

I feel really selfish right now, but I am almost happy that the deep space programs are being given funding. That's what NASA always was to me. Of course, I know that isn't the "right" thing to do.

Edited by GregroxMun

This is a continuation of what the political overseers of NASA have been doing for decades.

The main result of Bush Jr's blatantly vaporware Mars plan was to eviscerate NASAs climate monitoring program. There's a reasonable argument to be made that this was the primary purpose of that announcement (as well as an attempt at luring gullible libertarian spacegeeks into voting for them).

That's probably about as far as I can go on this without getting overly political, however. Suffice it to say that I do not think that these were wise or sensible decisions.

Let's hope that checks and balances prevent the gutting of earth science programs.

Congress has occasionally funded certain favored DoD programs above what DoD asked for.

More enlightened folks might review the budget request, and ask pointed questions.

Otherwise, CO2 sounds appropriate... Climate Observer 2.

"I don't know what happened to the first one, but if Earth Science budgets are gutted, Observing will be all we can afford."

Err... wasn't it called Ares V already? Should have stuck with that name, people seemed to like it. :P

Rune. It's been an unkillable zombie with insatiable appetite for pork for some time now, after all.

Ares V was constellation...

the SLS is more or less the same rocket as the Ares V, except ares V would have used 5 Denta IV engines in the core instead of SSMEs.

I like bringing back Ares V as the name for SLS. Or we could call it the Delay I, since its schedule is nothing but delays, delays, delays, and... Whops! looks like SpaceX beat us to Mars.

Given the people pushing for it, MPLS. 'Merican Patriotic Launch System, decked out in red white and blue, with a bald eagle fairing to boot. I really wish the dimwits who keep trying to cut Earth science would realize that it is much, much more important than whether or not we get 'Merican boots on Mars.

Given the people pushing for it, MPLS. 'Merican Patriotic Launch System, decked out in red white and blue, with a bald eagle fairing to boot. I really wish the dimwits who keep trying to cut Earth science would realize that it is much, much more important than whether or not we get 'Merican boots on Mars.

You have no idea how much I just laughed.

OT: MBDHTBSDS - Manned But Doesnt Have To Be Space Delivery System

How about SSETWSSEASSBBWDWTFUSAACTRDTKOCA - Space Shuttle External Tank With Space Shuttle Engines And Space Shuttle Boosters Because We Didn't Want To Fire United Space Alliance And Close The Revolving-Door That Keeps Our Careers Alive? Yeah, that's a bit long, I'm with Cydonian Monk, let's just go with Pork Launch System instead.

The Flying Pig?

Flying_Pig.jpg

I couldn't find a pic of delicious pork belly with wings.

- - - Updated - - -

wait, what about Spicey Lunch Sandwich?

This works, as SPAM is SPiced hAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Pork Launch System.

Because who doesn't want to see PIGS! IN! SPAAAACE! Also: It's a far more honest name.

Agreed.

Source on that?

I pretty sure there's no funding for a booster competition, so there definitively wont be any F1-B boosters (sad face), but ATK seem to be working away on their more powerful composite solids. That's what they were testing here.

Besides, they only have enough old steel cases for 5 sets of boosters if I remember right, so they are going to get new ones pretty soon(ish). It would be ....ty if they went went back to producing the shuttle derived steel boosters, because they are really to weak for the core stage.

As for the name... I dunno... It's basically the Ares 5, except with 4 main engines and Ares is a pretty neat name... Ares 4?

Edited by maccollo

Sad to see the cuts for earth science. As for SLS they can call it whatever they want it's way too early to introduce it even in 2018. Unless they are willing to boost the SLS program's budget seriously to develop additional modules and whatnot for Orion's lunar orbital (and whatever else) missions until Mars.

Wow I expected this thread to turn into politics and bashing System, but I didn't expect that it would bee every single comment! As an enthusiast of human spaceflight, Space Launch System is an impressive rocket, and I hope it flies for a long time! After all, why waste all the developement that went into Space Shuttle?

For the name, I would love for it to bee something entirely separate from classical mythology. I vote for Shuttle II!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.