two moons, one ship

I made it to minimus, then the mun, but a lander leg broke of on the mun because it was my first rocket, and I had forgotten to add RCS... >.< Was my first time to minimus, and the mun [crash] landing was the icing on the cake :P

Good job on the challenge Dalfite. :D

Did it, and the Kerbals even lived to tell the tale.

6fJEL.jpg

Landed at Minmus.

LPPhW.jpg

Takeoff from Minmus

ShB8U.png

Landed at Mun. Note MET, this was during the same mission.

RdeUo.png

Takeoff from Mun.

OKATB.png

Kerbin approach. Again, note MET.

vifBg.png

Home! Total mission time 22 days, 6 hours, 44 minutes and 16 seconds.

Got into a Mun orbit, then went to minmus, then landed, then back to mun, landed, then to kerbin, and finally splashed down.

Aboard the Inter-Lunar I. Bill, Jeb and Bob are ready.

MhLmg.png

Launched into a 100K orbit, then transferred to the Mun.

6GeCQ.png

Left the Munar orbit, and got into a Kerbin orbit,

wE6uG.png

Transfer to minmus

zSbIo.png

Captured

8FnYj.png

Deorbit with enough fuel to land anywhere on the surface.

axA5F.png

oDW1y.png

Landed

8UniV.png

Jettison legs and lift off

bymNc.png

Back in a Kerbin orbit

HfL2l.png

Lower orbit and transfer to mun

xuh1c.png

O859h.png

fZTfi.png

Captured again.

EWBJj.png

Pick a landing site

PaBQd.png

Braking burn

tKhtO.png

Shoulda kept those legs, eh?

oBgWJ.png

Departure

QiQKz.png

Deorbiting

LMZQY.png

In atmo

ygJVX.png

Stage sep and parachute deploy

Xllqm.png

Splashdown

2jyFX.png

20 days later, they\'re finally home.

IGGdW.png

The craft has enough fuel to select a landing site on both Minmus and the Mun. With better fuel management, one might be able to land back at the KSC, too.

NOTE: The craft lacks any form of ASAS. When landing, precision controls are a must. The core/transfer/Mun orbiting/minmus orbiting/ minmus landing/ mun transfer/ mun orbiting/ mun landing/ mun departure stage has an SAS though, near the CoG, to help hold position.

My nephew had challenged me to do this today, wish I had gotten some screenshots, but I honestly didn\'t think I could do it. Here\'s a picture of the ship I did it with.

screenshot2.png

The solar panels and module on the outside obviously aren\'t stock but they serve no actual function, just dead weight to make these engines look like satellites.

First leg had me going straight from Kerbin to Minmus. I shed the three outer engines (satellites) in Minmus orbit, landed then took off. Landed on The Mun, and took off again. That was the end of my two full size tanks. I then collapsed my orbit and made a powered landing back on Kerbin safely with the smaller tank.

I made it to minimus, then the mun, but a lander leg broke of on the mun because it was my first rocket, and I had forgotten to add RCS... >.< Was my first time to minimus, and the mun [crash] landing was the icing on the cake :P

Good job on the challenge Dalfite. :D

RCS is for wimps. Recently I\'ve been doing all my landings on full manual mode without RCS, no ASAS. Mainly because the designs I\'m using don\'t have the payload capacity to carry the ASAS or RCS tanks...

Got into a Mun orbit, then went to minmus, then landed, then back to mun, landed, then to kerbin, and finally splashed down.

Aboard the Inter-Lunar I. Bill, Jeb and Bob are ready.

MhLmg.png

Launched into a 100K orbit, then transferred to the Mun.

6GeCQ.png

Left the Munar orbit, and got into a Kerbin orbit,

wE6uG.png

Transfer to minmus

zSbIo.png

Captured

8FnYj.png

Deorbit with enough fuel to land anywhere on the surface.

axA5F.png

oDW1y.png

Landed

8UniV.png

Jettison legs and lift off

bymNc.png

Back in a Kerbin orbit

HfL2l.png

Lower orbit and transfer to mun

xuh1c.png

O859h.png

fZTfi.png

Captured again.

EWBJj.png

Pick a landing site

PaBQd.png

Braking burn

tKhtO.png

Shoulda kept those legs, eh?

oBgWJ.png

Departure

QiQKz.png

Deorbiting

LMZQY.png

In atmo

ygJVX.png

Stage sep and parachute deploy

Xllqm.png

Splashdown

2jyFX.png

20 days later, they\'re finally home.

IGGdW.png

The craft has enough fuel to select a landing site on both Minmus and the Mun. With better fuel management, one might be able to land back at the KSC, too.

NOTE: The craft lacks any form of ASAS. When landing, precision controls are a must. The core/transfer/Mun orbiting/minmus orbiting/ minmus landing/ mun transfer/ mun orbiting/ mun landing/ mun departure stage has an SAS though, near the CoG, to help hold position.

Hey the description clearly says stock parts. there is a MechJeb autopilot unit strapped to the side of that rocket

Hey the description clearly says stock parts. there is a MechJeb autopilot unit strapped to the side of that rocket

Yeah, there is thx man, the Thobewill10 entry is DQ\'ed, I will still let the solar panels go tho, they do not assist in flight

• 4 weeks later...

Duuude, blast from the past, I forgot about this, I have a secondary challenge too, orbit both moons with the T1G Gourami V

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=14652.msg221387#msg221387

feel free to fiddle with the design using STOCK parts to make it have the power to get to the moons and back (note: back is entirely optional)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.