STOL Vab Landing Challenge

I thought of this while screwing around with an A-10 I made and discovering it wouldn't stall until just under 20 m/s.

I then did the logical thing and tried to land it on the VAB Helipad.

The rules:

>No cheats.

>The aircraft must have a Kerbal piloting it.

>No retrograde engines, A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S. or parachutes may be on the craft. Control surface deflection being used in place of airbrakes is allowed.

>Engines pushing up for lift, or down for traction are not allowed. This challenge about lift-to-weight, not thrust-to-weight.

>Mods are allowed, but any parts that defy gravity, or are lighter than air, are not. You may use these only if the vehicle that actually lands doesn't have means of taking off, and they must be decoupled when the craft goes to land.

>Guns follow the same rules as engines.

Scoring:

>M*(P-L)=T

>M = Takeoff mass. This is the mass of the craft at launch. Heavier crafts net more points

>P = Part count at launch. This includes the part count of any craft that helps get the landing vehicle into the air.

>L = Parts lost. This includes the part count of any craft that helps get the landing vehicle into the air.

>T = Total score. Double this if the craft landed without engines attached.

Leaderboard:

1. 12617 - Serassa (Counting tonnage, not kg)

2. 2214 - Blue Canary

Edited by BoomShroom
Clarity involving propulsion rules, leaderboard

(this is my first forum post, so sorry about the inevitable screw ups)

So, I tried this with a heavily modified version of my UC-1 light stol cargo plane:

sERijal.jpg

RATO takeoff, this version of the plane has detachable main engines for double points, and extra internal fuel and drop tanks for more weight for points.

5Kt8ZHq.jpg

Messed up the approach several times and had to go around, not sure if this was the good one or not

N6KDZIz.jpg

Came in high and fast but stopped just before the edge, didn't explode, even a little bit :)

So, 2*13.5*(86-4)=2214 points by my (probably dodgy) maths. No idea how that will compare to other peoples, but I'm just happy I didn't squish Jeb into the VAB.

Edited by BlueCanary
Messed up image code, forgot *2 points for detachable engines

Ok, define vertically aligned. Because I can take off horizontally and land vertically.

I think that means that engines may not be slightly rotated to provide some lift. Therefore, horizontal and vertical thrust can be produced from one engine. angle engine 45 by 45. I believe that is what he means by that.

Again, I can take off horizontally, land vertically then flip myself horizontal again all with 'horizontally' mounted engines. Horizontal is all relative. He needs to specify a bit more.

It says STOL not VTOL. Not that it matters anyway.

Take off mass = 40,000 kg * ( 310 parts - 0 parts lost ) = 12,400,000 points

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Serassa

Again, I can take off horizontally, land vertically then flip myself horizontal again all with 'horizontally' mounted engines. Horizontal is all relative. He needs to specify a bit more.

8499f86f3860f8794a55b2d13b95fd00.jpg

This is the Pogo VTOL aircraft (I think, there was another craft with the same function around the same time). Any aircraft like it are not allowed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.