Modding parts doesn't work for me.

Tex

So I'm having a problem. I'm trying to create an altered part for use on a rover, a wheel with an increased turning radius, but it seems that when I edit the .cfg file none of the modifications work. I can create a new part by copying the folder, I can change the name and description and cost and all that, but none of the values will change at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Are you reloading your part database after you make changes? (Alt+F12 menu)

Hmm, I'll try that and report my findings.

EDIT: Nope, I reloaded everything but it still doesn't work. What's more: when I add a part that I modified to a vessel, when it's right-clicked it shows the proper modded name of the part, but when I actually launch the rover the wheel changes back to its original unmodded state and name, and remains so when reverting to the SPH.

Edited by Maximus97

Moved to addon development, where this sort of thing goes. :)

Thanks a million!

I'm not sure you can just change the value of the turn radius. I have a feeling the game obeys the angle of the collision mesh, which I believe is built into the model.

Hmm... I'm noticing that several of the lines may have something to do with steering impacting the turning radius, so as your rover speeds up, you can't turn as hard. I think that by modifying the base value the wheel should turn much sharper at low speeds, which is what I'm looking for. In addition I believe I made a suggestion thread about it a while ago and a mod author said he had a tweakable for the turning radius, so it might just be possible. That's what I'm trying to figure out anyway.

Are you changing the name in the header of the cfg?

PART
{
name = IAHMS125 <-- make sure this is unique
module = Part

Hmm, I dunno! I'll check it out and report back.

EDIT: Hmm, it looks like it was indeed the same as the regular Ruggedized wheel. Thanks a bunch, and I'll be changing the necessary as soon as I can. Maybe this thing'll be solved once and for all!

Edited by Maximus97

The part has to have a unique name, or ksp will get confused over which version it's supposed to be loading.

To change the steering, alter the steeringCurve values. For each key, the first value is the speed, the second is how many degrees it will steer at that speed. Third and forth values are entry and exit vectors for that key, but that gets a bit technical. Google KSP floatcurves for a detailed explanation.

Hey hey, it's working now! Victory!

Yup, it turned out that the only real problem was the name. All the rest of the values I figured out how to use them (semi)properly so the wheels behaved like I expected them to. Or rather, much more zealously than I intended them to... I think a 90 degree turn is a tad too sharp...

Thanks a million for your answers! TO THE FUTURE! :sticktongue:

EDIT: Gawd that was a weird and nerdy ending line...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.