Looking for a friend to talk about space with and who enjoys doing so

JoshuaMinchew

I'm a youth who loves space. Looking for anybody preferably in my age range, but I don't care. Don't care if you're male, female , both or even if you're a cow! Talk with me about space! I just don't have many friends as interested in space as I am. My dream is to have a privately owned company that goes into space mining asteroids, sending probes to planets, and hosting space tourism . Contact me by email first and if I'm sure you're not a total creep we can message other ways of communication!

[email protected] or reply to this thread if you are interested in chatting about space!

Edited by Vanamonde

Just a friendly advice, don't leave your email around is clear text. It's a good way to attract a huge amount of spam.

To me, the most amazing part about the space is the scale. The Earth is big, really big, absolutely humongous, but compared to the Solar system, it's just a speck of dust. And the Solar system is an even smaller speck of dust compared to our galaxy, while the galaxy is hardly even there compared to the size of the observable Universe, and we know nothing about the rest.

When I was a kid, I contemplated making some sort of a scale model of the Solar system, but concluded that in order to have the Earth and Moon big enough to be visible, my house wouldn't be big enough to contain the model. In fact my entire city wouldn't be big enough. I had to abandon the project.

Hi from UTC+1!

One of the things that I suppose got me interested was a program that was installed on my first computer. The program was basically a 2d black and white univerese viewer but I was absolutely fascinated by the scale and size of things that was inside that black and white screen. Now I'm fascinated by how space exploration has driven technology to become smaller, faster and stronger.

Eastern Standard Time, reporting in!

Space, huh? What about it?

The incredible beauty? The terrible dangers? The fact that it can be both of these at the same time?

I originally got interested in space when I saw models of the Saturn V and Space Shuttle, and with the amazing pictures telescopes saw in the night sky. I was obsessed with black holes, too, and bought any and every space book I came across with any mention of them, hoping to find out just a little bit more. Silly me didn't realize that there wasn't much more to them that we knew about. :)

Then I saw a Space Shuttle launch. It was many years ago, now. I think it was Discovery, maybe Atlantis. That was so, so cool. Space was one of the biggest interests in my life. I saw at least one more, a night launch. Brilliant clouds of bright smoke fading to black as they got farther from the pad, the terrain across the bay lighting up like a miniature sun was rising... the utter silence. It stretched for many seconds before the sound reached me, a great rumbling, roaring, crackling sound, like a wildfire.

I'd learned as much as I could, I realized, around the seventh or sixth grade. I lost a lot of my interest in space then, instead focusing on aviation. Microsoft Flight Simulator X was just about as obsessive as KSP is now.

In my freshman year at high school, my friend decided to show me KSP. I made an ill-fitted aircraft, which almost flew, before the class had ended. I was hooked. Soon after, I downloaded the demo, (demo version 0.18.1 or so) and spent a month or so trying to get to the Mun. Then more time trying to land, and yet more getting back. I wanted to try rendezvous next, and got two ships within 2,000 meters of each other. No docking ports, though. I bought the full game.

And then space changed for good. I knew what Delta-V was. I found Hohmann transfers, and ballistic trajectories, and phase angles. Isp, TWR, gravity turns, aerobraking, slingshots, free return trajectories... it was amazing.

And that is my space story. :)

I'm a youth who loves space. Looking for anybody preferably in my age range, but I don't care. Don't care if you're male, female , both or even if you're a cow! Talk with me about space! I just don't have many friends as interested in space as I am. My dream is to have a privately owned company that goes into space mining asteroids, sending probes to planets, and hosting space tourism . Contact me by email first and if I'm sure you're not a total creep we can message other ways of communication!

email redacted or reply to this thread if you are interested in chatting about space!

That's where it began with me. I remember being glued to the evening news when the STS Enterprise went through all the glide tests in the 1970s, I remember watching the night sky as Skylab reentered the Earth's atmosphere over Hawaii (Dad was stationed at Schofield Barracks). Moving every two or three years, depending on my Dad's orders, I learned to take the larger boxes and turn them into complex "cardboard" spacecraft. With a box of crayons, tape, a ruler, and scissors, I could turn any box I could climb into into a shuttle, a Colonial Viper, or just a command module/LEM. I would imagine what it would be like to land on those far away planets, to explore them as did Kirk and Spock, and to write about them in a notebook.

Over the years, I have marveled at the night sky and everything I can see with the various telescopes I have owned over the years. When I look out at the moons and rings of Saturn, the polar ice cap of Mars, I cannot help but to wonder when mankind will set out on the ultimate voyage of discovery and wish that I could join them. I fully believe Issac Asimov was right when he said:

Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.

Since those days of childhood, I have gone through many telescopes, nearly 10 years of Astronomy magazine, and few editions of Popular Science that caught my eye. I play this game because I love space. I still watch sci-fi (not sci-fi horror) because I want to see what others envision with space. I even watch those bad documentaries on BBC about manned missions to Mars, Venus, and even the asteroid belt for the same reasons.

---

ON A SIDE NOTE: To echo what others have said, it is really a bad idea to throw your personal contact information on-line, even in this forum. I have met some great people here and then I have met some not-so-great-people. This forum allows you to send personal messages to other members, so I would invite you to have people contact you that way rather than giving out your personal email address. :)

Edited by adsii1970

Hmm.... I'm not exactly sure when I first got interested in space. I definitely love all types of learning, and history and science are my favorite subjects to study. I think that I first got seriously interested when I was 13, and found some amazing documentaries and started reading anything and everything I could about space and stuff like that. Now anyone at my high school can tell you I'm the space nerd :sticktongue:

Sound really corny perhaps, but I had my interest for space reinvigorated by KSP.

Watched a video of someone playing, played the demo, then bought the game.

KSP has given me a big appreciation about the hardships of going to and working in space.

Then I started collecting movies, bought a telescope...

That got the GF interested as well, ha!

I'm also glad that there's a resurgence of space-related games lately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.