recover prototype V8ZG from orbit or kerbin HELP !!!

hi guys so i have the contracts in career mode

it want me to take the V8ZG (its a solid fuel booster small one) from the orbit of kerbin and take it back to kerbin so i made a rocket and head to it but the problem is how im going to take it to kerbin safely :huh:

any other solutions or any mod that can help me to do this ?

Kerbal Attachment System: it allows you to place struts on EVA.

Whatever you do, you're going to need some way of creating a rigid attachment between the salvaged part and whatever you're using to bring it down. Just loose in a cargo bay won't do; the second you engage time warp, it'll float straight out through the walls (because craft "on rails" in timewarp don't have collision effects).

A note on the cargo bay: The cargo bay will NOT contain a part that isn't in some way attached to your vessel, so when you time warp they will separate. To use the cargo bay you must still use something to secure the part, e.g. the claw.

If you lack the tech for the CLAW, you can always try to create a custom catcher out of Girders. I don't is aerodynamic properties, though, and you'll have to be careful with your time war. But it may be worth it if you are close to the deadline.

I once recovered a big rocket from orbit, had to design a new vessel, called it the Tortuga shield :). See picture below.

the backshields are for balancing, i think they can be replaced by air brakes although, like this, is more robust.

Note. The Tortuga shield consists of 2 vessels, one in front with a claw and a shield and one in back, for stabilization, with a claw and a cluster of shields. The back part of it attaches to one end of the cargo to be recovered, while the front part attaches to the other. The back part holds the engine for reentry burn and the parachutes.

?view=att&th=14d57e15db7ad600&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_14d57e039004fbfa&zw&atsh=1

During reentry, with big rocket attached and back shields stabilizing

?view=att&th=14d57e15db7ad600&attid=0.2&disp=emb&realattid=ii_14d57e10f7998924&zw&atsh=1

Only issue with this design... You must take care in making good alignment when attaching the claws.

Just brought a 'prototype' (stupid fuel tank) from Minmus. Used a heatshield but it was 1.25m whereas that thing was 2.5m. Tried very hard to catch it exact center with the klaw. Done several aerobraking passes (starting with Pe = 50 km) diving deeper with each pass. Finally I decided not to drop the engine with the remaining fuel but burn it retrograde on the final pass. Worked surprisingly well (considering the 1.0.2 reentry heating is laughable). When the fuel burnt out I dropped the engine and exposed the heat shield (apparently there was no need for it whatsoever). The only bad thing that happened is that I landed on the mountain slope and broke the 'prototype'. Luckily F9 helped and I decided to splashdown instead. Contract complete.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.