[PART] WIP Release - Phoenix Cargo/Resupply System - KIS,MJ integration - SpaceX Dragon Capsule

-ctn-

Oh, how frustrating.

I loaded up KSP again to test it out again - I made a copy and changed the particle effect to the white RCS smoke, to see what it looks like - and neither of my Pod parts were displaying the exhaust like it just was!

I deleted the copy and looked through the original's CFG file - I didn't change anything, it's the same CFG as it was above when I took that screenshot. But now it doesn't display particle FX.

Why would it revert back to no FX?

Hmm, a copy you say? that sounds like you have two parts with the same "name=whatever" in their respective configs; KSP will load them both but it will act weirdly (loading config settings from the wrong config, etc..) So thats the place to start

You didn't accidentally revert to an older exported .mu file from Unity, with the wrong hierarchy? Reversion bugs like that are always sneaky.

If your latest export and the correct config doesn't work, repost a screenshot from Unity and the config and we can look at it again.

I don't think so, but I will go through the whole exporting - installing process tonight after work and see how that goes. If it worked that one time, it's GOT to be able to work again.

Taking a break from doing coding, I found myself modeling the solar panels on the Dragon.

While this is fun, I have absolutely no idea how to animate them or get the animation into Unity. This should be a challenge.

Are there any modders out there who might be able to give me advice or help me out with the animation?

solar%20panel%20preview.jpg

Man looks great hope someone can help you fast :) kerbals need a ride to the station.

As this is based on the SpaceX Dragon, it is a probe core / unmanned only. Although I may make the manned Dragon v2, it won't be with this particular release.

...unless you can squeeze Kerbals into KIS containers....

Taking a break from doing coding, I found myself modeling the solar panels on the Dragon.

While this is fun, I have absolutely no idea how to animate them or get the animation into Unity. This should be a challenge.

Are there any modders out there who might be able to give me advice or help me out with the animation?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/MoviesColin/solar%20panel%20preview.jpg

Beautiful solar panels!

Will the Dragon have an aerodynamic shroud and solar panel covers?

@-ctn-:

This here is a very good thread with many modding information:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94638-Mod-Development-Links-Compilation-START-HERE

Here's a tutorial on how to export animations from Blender into Unity (Note: You can just copy the .blend File into your unity project, you mustn't use .fbx):

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/27450?p=346176&viewfull=1#post346176

And here, setting up suntracking Solar panels in Unity:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/38408

I've read those over quite a few times, but I guess it's going to take some tinkering to get them right. I've never animated anything before.

It looks like my orientation is a little off... I thought the Z+ side was the side tracking the sun? These do track, but the wrong side tracks the sun.

Also, they "float" and don't remain anchored... Any help? How do I create suntracking faces in Unity for multiple panels like this? I have each "panel top" a separate object... Is that right? Or do I only need each whole panel to be a separate object and make sure it's facing Z+?

screenshot15_1.png

Also, I want the solar panel shroud (or cover) to jettison upon deployment, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Also, the engine exhaust still fails to show up, even after re-exporting from Unity and reinstalling the part into the directory.

solarunity.png

Well, I got discouraged about the solar panels and engines not working, so I did some texture work instead this morning. Just some rivets and extra details, dragon-style hatches and stuff. If I can get the solar panel's shrouds to jettison when deployed, then I won't put the logo on the trunk. If I can't, then it will go back.

newpreview.jpg

Edited by -ctn-

Well, I'm getting closer. I hope to have the solar panels rotating correctly by the end of the night. For the engines, I ended up making a separate part (kind of an unorthodox engine) and it seems to work well enough. I really wanted the engines to be "included" in the probe pod... Maybe I'll keep fiddling with it. At least this can work as a backup.

screenshot17.png

Well, after trying to play with the positions of the transforms in Unity and adding a new heat shield part....

screenshot20.png

I've been trying to figure this out for an hour now. Literally I did nothing different. I tried MBM, DDS. I re-exported from Unity. Uninstalled the mod. Reinstalled.

The textures for the Capsule and the new heat shield simply don't load.

I checked that I was using KSP/Diffuse shaders in Unity, checked that I was using the most recent exported .MU and .MBM files.

But, I did get the solar panels to track sunlight.

First thing to try, exit the VAb to the space center, hit alt+f12 to open debug and go to the Database tab, hit reload; this will reload all assets (models, textures, config files)

Then go back in and see if the pod loaded correctly; if it did then you're running into a KSP bug, I'm not sure if anyone ever figured out why certain parts got the no-tex bug.

Next, a new screenshot of the part in Unity with the object holding the part tools script, and a fresh copy of your config for debugging.

Can also zip up the part and link it and I can see if it loads here.

I will try that tonight.

I did reload assets more than once, also exited KSP and reloaded the game a few times to no avail.

Now that I think of it, I think Unity might have auto-updated (to 4.6.1 iirc) this morning, which might explain why the heat shield and capsule (newly exported from Unity today) are not loading in KSP despite doing everything as I normally do.

Which version of Unity do you use for modding KSP? Is there a "best" version?

Part tools is actually designed for 4.2.2 (which is pretty old by this point) and you don't really benefit from newer ones strictly for part-making; it is in fact harder to use because of the changes to Unity's animation package.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.