The Apollo Applications Program: 1.0 Edition

That was a neat link, B-STRK.. don't think I've come across it before.

GregroxMun.. how close do you want to see "Das Marsprojekt" implemented to earn this?:

Land and return from Duna, using Apollo-Saturn hardware. +65 (which references
)

Rules for my challenge "Das Dunaprojekt" or Duna von Braun Style" left a few details to the imagination, but most of the von Braun concepts are part of the challenge. I'd like to try it from another approach.

Since Duna is the next obvious step (have already done Ike landing with Apollo for this challenge), thinking of cooking up something with similar planning to Das Marsprojekt but more of a convoy of ships instead of a monolithic mission assembled in LKO.

http://i.imgur.com/Dq5JeaVl.png

By "Das Marsprojekt" do you mean the 1970 STS Mars Proposals involving two reusable NERVA craft, or the 1948 proposal involving an entire fleet of winged landing craft and interplanetary transfer craft? Because the 1948 version is the only one to ever have that name.

Thank you B-STRK that was a very interesting article.

I just wanted to report I have completed my first Surveyor mission completely by accident.

Work has begun on the design and testing of my Saturn Five analog.

Also, Mission PM-1 (My Apollo 1 analog) is now ready to launch. I have decided to simulate the Apollo Program as if the fire on Apollo 1 never happened, so I've got a total of 20 flights scheduled. More information is posted in my Mission Report thread.

Don't forget to check out 'The Big Picture' posted in the O.P. I'll be constantly updating that thing as time goes on.

I also owe thanks to GregroxMun, the pursuit of this challenge has led to the most enjoyable career mode game I've had yet.

By "Das Marsprojekt" do you mean the 1970 STS Mars Proposals involving two reusable NERVA craft, or the 1948 proposal involving an entire fleet of winged landing craft and interplanetary transfer craft? Because the 1948 version is the only one to ever have that name.

Good point. I'm referring to the 1970's plan proposed here . I confused myself. :confused:

This one's a double-update.

iZrSSW6.png?1

First, an interlude chapter to allow for the launch of a SunShooter X, and a sneak peek at an old MOLAB design... and a new SunShooter pressurized rover [thread=113778]intended for greater things[/thread].

mqXzj0M.png?1

And second, the Big One-One, Part One.

(Score calculations held off until after Part Two.)

First flight completed. I've done a few Apollo replicas before but nothing this carefully designed.

Spring Tide 1 = Saturn 1B

Spring Tide M = Saturn 5 (Historically inaccurate paint job edition)

I have a bit more narrative here on my mission reports thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/124342-Aqua-Space-Program-%28current-challenge-Apollo-Applications%29?p=1996151#post1996151

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Goals accomplished so far:

- Saturn Five uses 5 engines on the first stage, 5 engines on the second stage, and one engine on the third stage. +20

- Lander stored behind a fairing. +10

- Stock. +20 (Use only stock parts)

- Launch Escape System. +5

- Use fuel cells for power generation only +10

Total: 65

3Oys5Jd.png

Kerbollo 11 complete

Scoring so far for Apollo program

- Saturn Five uses 5 engines on the first stage, 5 engines on the second stage, and one engine on the third stage. +20

- Free-Return Trajectory until in Mun's SOI. +10

- Leave Descent Stage on Mun. +5

- Use fuel cells for power generation only +10

Total 80

LLW8onD.png?1

Part II of 11, from munwalk to splashdown.

Also featuring an advanced KSC landed/splashed down capsule recovery team deployment atmospheric aircraft... [thread=124077]that technically isn't Apollo hardware[/thread].

Please tell me this doesn't disqualify my entry? It doesn't go anywhere near space, let alone the Mun, I swear.

Saturn V uses 5 + 5 + 1 = 20

(starting Shooter 4)

Free-return trajectory until Mun SOI = 10

(confirmed Shooter 11)

Lander stored behind a fairing = 10

(since Luna was the Luna that landed, Alehna being practice, I'd say it scores here)

Leave descent stage on the Mun = 5

(which happens here)

Launch escape system = 5

(Orion-style MRS boost protective cover)

Use fuel cells for power generation only = 10

(True with Shooter 11. 4 flew a boilerplate Luna with solar panels. 8 and 10 did not deploy the solar panels on their associated docked craft

as long as they remained docked, running on fuel cells only. 9 "accidentally" used the boilerplate Luna for the Alehna. Hopefully the score sticks? There may be solar panels in the future.)

Use a life support mod = 26

(IF SNACKS! COUNTS AS A LIFE SUPPORT MOD. On the one hand, currently Snacks! doesn't impose any appreciable penalty in sandbox mode, not even USI-LS's disabling of the crew. On the other hand, I am "simulating" the USI-LS effects with Snacks!, in that I treat a deprived craft as disabled, until a resupply can dock in. Kerbals who run out on EVA have to drop what they're doing and return to craft. This is controversial, I'll bet--Greg, it's your call. I'll drop the points if you say so.)

Total points as of Apollo 11 = 86 if Snacks! is legit, 60 if ruled otherwise

Nice work Rhomphaia. I just finished my 13 report as well. I'm almost caught up to my imgur backlog now (Skylab launch and Skylab A are up next) and then I'll be onto new missions. MOLAB is looking promising along with my MLV 5-4SB launch vehicle.

I'll be progressing further out of Stock from this point as I move into MKS and OKS construction. Skylab (and its Munar counterpart - eventually) will follow original designs, but an OKS "Harbor" station and more - once I figure out how MKS works. Mun and Minmus bases and mining operations will serve as training for a full-scale Duna colony mission later on.

It's been a long day, but Kerbollo 13 is up

With Jeb hanging from a ladder, best I could do was 4x Physics warp. I did put him back into the CM briefly as I crossed into Mun SOI, but the rest of the time and for all burns he was outside.

Hanging from the ladder... 4x physics warp.

Why didn't I think of this in my career save when I needed to do a Low Mun Orbit rescue mission without a spare seat? I AM A [BLEEEEEEP!] IDIOT! (**repeated headdesk**)

In the 1.0.2 career I had prior to deciding to join this challenge, I had an LMO rescue, but for some reason I couldn't use a two-cockpit craft to do so, so I had my standard orbiter fitted with a service bay I could tuck the rescuee in. Timewarping home from the Mun, though, I found that the rescuee would clip through the bay--the entire craft, in fact--and end up outside, necessitating another trip in the bay. I tried having her hang off the Mk1's ladder, but I couldn't time warp (obviously). But I hadn't thought about physics warp. So I spent the entire trip back to Kerbin alternating between timewarping and keeping the rescuee close, and obviously that used up her MMU RCS, so she had to swap with the rescuer... and I also had to maneuver the rescuee back into the service bay practically in atmo (60-50km alt), since there was no gas to circularize and leave her in orbit for another craft to pick up.

It's a miracle I managed to recover everyone alive at transmunar reentry speeds.

As the system requires I need to spread rep before I can rep again, may this post be a virtual rep for you, by teaching me a TIL-worthy lesson. :D

Why didn't I think of this in my career save when I needed to do a Low Mun Orbit rescue mission without a spare seat? I AM A [BLEEEEEEP!] IDIOT! (**repeated headdesk**)

In the 1.0.2 career I had prior to deciding to join this challenge, I had an LMO rescue, but for some reason I couldn't use a two-cockpit craft to do so, so I had my standard orbiter fitted with a service bay I could tuck the rescuee in. Timewarping home from the Mun, though, I found that the rescuee would clip through the bay--the entire craft, in fact--and end up outside, necessitating another trip in the bay. I tried having her hang off the Mk1's ladder, but I couldn't time warp (obviously). But I hadn't thought about physics warp. So I spent the entire trip back to Kerbin alternating between timewarping and keeping the rescuee close, and obviously that used up her MMU RCS, so she had to swap with the rescuer... and I also had to maneuver the rescuee back into the service bay practically in atmo (60-50km alt), since there was no gas to circularize and leave her in orbit for another craft to pick up.

It's a miracle I managed to recover everyone alive at transmunar reentry speeds.

As the system requires I need to spread rep before I can rep again, may this post be a virtual rep for you, by teaching me a TIL-worthy lesson. :D

Inside the service bay would be better with physics warp. It seemed that no matter how stable Jeb was on that ladder while I was watching, as soon as I turned away from the monitor He would lose his grip. Not to mention getting thrown off as I left Mun SOI.

The whole mission took over 5 hours real time. I could probably just have let Jeb drift a while and time warped . The MMU has 600m/s or so and I didn't even use half.

My MOLAB proto-type does work, but it needs some serious refining to be useful. :)http://i.imgur.com/dxdRAqil.jpg

I see ascent engines on the lander can there. Redockable aerial scout or reusable ascent stage?

(I was looking for a way to add munar flyers to the LRPR and the Elcano derivative, recon and cliff-scaling stuff, but dang, a whole can takes the cake :D)

The original plan (scrapped because I forgot antennas on the lab part and can't remote pilot it with Antenna range mod) was to land the lab, then land the Ascent stage on top (or better leave it full).

Trying to land with it on threw the weight balance off so much that I needed the Ascent stage engines (and even then couldn't go above 40% throttle). I was really surprised it got down at all.

I needed to KIS the wheels from their original design (because the plan to hook them under the lab via docking ports failed to consider the tiny problem that the wheels would then have been blacking the landing engines). It half looks like a someone tried to make a space-dog themed craft, and it bounces like an excited puppy when it tries to drive. Definatly calling it part of project ROVER.

It is very unstable in its current iteration. I'm thinking of trying again with a pressurized Hab (the lab) and then outside seats for the drivers (constellation style). for MOLAB 2. I'm undecided on whether or not I'll try to fly that acent stage (MOLAB Command module) out as an emergency abort. There might be enough fuel after landing and the original plan was to use that later on to bring 2 full Apollo teams to the Mun (2 land in MOLAB, 4 in the 2 LEMs - offically renamed MALs) 2 return in the MOLAB escape system, 2 in each MAL ascent stage.

XIV is the test mission for MOLAB and has had some odd things happen. End verdict - I like how dopey and silly it looks and how it drives on Mun like an excited puppy about to fall over on itself - but I'm unimpressed with it for a useful addition to the program.

A few new missions for my Apollo program. The testing of the Spring Tide M, first Mun orbit, and first landing... and some big setbacks.

Read all about it here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/124342-Aqua-Space-Program-%28current-challenge-Apollo-Applications%29?p=2000800&viewfull=1#post2000800

piZLCnC.png

Goals accomplished so far:

- Use fuel cells for power generation only +10 (on the LM and CSM. Science package and rover have some solar panels, is that okay?)

- Include ALSEP Science Package on Apollo 11-18 +5

- Include Lunar Rover on Apollo 11-18 +10

Total: 85

VVoVT45m.png

AAP/MORL landing on Ike

Using a revised MORL configuration, this multi-launch mission to Ike's surface not only tested long-term interplanetary travel and safe return, it was a dress rehearsal for the next mission to explore multiple sites on Duna. The LM is the design used for late Mun landings supporting extended stays, but carried no rover to save weight.

Also to save weight, the LM remained moored to the CSM in its launch position until landing, with the ascent stage returning to dock to that structure after the landing. When it was time to leave Ike, the ascent stage and rear docking structure were jettisoned together. All orbital maneuvers in Duna SOI were propulsive; no aero braking.

After a very short stay in Duna SOI, a long burn pushed the craft back to Kerbin in a fast-return trajectory. As the CM re-entered, the heat shield actually burned up - however no other damage was sustained. Settings are at 120%, so.. I dunno. No kerbals lost, but probably shoulda been.

WTlFtjYm.png

Destruction of the mining platform (no kerbals lost..)

Unfortunately, a hard-landing near the Munar arch damaged the landing platform. As the shuttle approached the pad, its thrust developed a destructive wobble causing a complete loss of the landing platform. Landing on fumes after an emergency abort, the shuttle had no way to refuel. An un-crewed Saturn V launch landed a remotely controlled LM near the shuttle and rescued the crew.

Early attempt at launching the Duna ascent system

xoFFCnbm.png

Refueling the Duna ascent system. This vessel carries no crew until just before landing. It also carries two shuttles used to ferry between the Duna ascent system and the main crew laboratory when in Duna orbit.

JjYtMyel.png

Duna Ascent System

jCQGz9Gm.png

Duna surface exploration craft docked to the habitation module.

kNwcD7um.png

rMQlhmP.png

Kerbollo 15 is up

The inclusion of a Rover (+10pts) and a Lunar Subsatellite (+5pts) on this mission Brings my Apollo Program Score to 95Pts

The plan from here: Since Apollo 17 was the first flight of a professional scientist, I will be using a Scientist as Kerbollo 17s MM pilot and flying the MM without SAS. (will be using a symmetrical vesion of the EMM to make it possible)

Kerbollo 18 will be rolled onto the lauchpad with an LLES in place of the rover for a rescue mission if needed.

Should the Crew of Kerbollo 17 be beyond rescue, the Kerbollo program will be cancelled and Kerbollo 18 will be converted fo Skylab, with the remaining Ninurta 1Bs used to crew it and launch the ASTP.

Should Kerbollo 17 survive (needing rescue or not) Kerbollo 18 will fly as the final Ninurta V and a new family of Ninurta MLV rockets will be commissioned for the Kerbollo Applications Program.

The Surveyor Armada was launched:

I know it was supposed to be the Apollo 1(7) analog, but I wanted to get Fuel Cells before launching the Project Mun missions.

Next time I post, hopefully I'll be able to put a score on the board. I'll be launching sometime this week.

I'm up to Skylab now, which means I can create a sig and add the badge in. I'll still be working on the challenge for more and more stuff because it is very fun.

Point totals (I think) so far:

ALP completed, I will continue into the AAP.

Saturn IB - Check

Saturn V - Check

Saturn INT-21 - Check

MLV 5 -4SB in future report

Apollo 4 - Check

Apollo 7 - Check

Apollo 8 - Check

Apollo 9 - Check

Apollo 11 - Check

Apollo 12 - Check

Apollo 13 - No problem.

AAP:

Skylab -

MOLAB - in future mission

Munar Base - in future missions (MOLAB attemp 1 might be substituted here

More - planned by later down the planning line

Goals

- Include ALSEP Science Package on Apollo 11-18 +5 (apollo 12 )

- Include Lunar Rover on Apollo 11-18 +10 (apollo 12 )

- Include Lunar Subsatellite on Apollo 11-18.+5 (Apollo 11)

Up through Apollo 11 the program was stock only but post 11 it relies on KIS and USI LS parts (MKS and OKS later on).

- Use fuel cells for power generation only +10 (ALSEP on Apollo 12 has an NTG like the real ones. It was stored via KIS and so never connected to the ship's power supply. Skylab uses solar (like the real one)

- Use a Life Support mod +26

Points so far: 106 (USI Life-support actually mattered to my Apollo XIV crew and Skylab has LS parts now. I'll need to re-work my Apollo CSM a bit after an interesting issue with XIV).

Edit: After re-designing my MOLAB to actually be functional I've decided to treat the old MOLAB as a simulation - I'll still work it into my report but it won't be the official Apollo XIV mission. My new MOLAB I'm pretty happy with so far. Tests on Kerbin give it okay stability and function and I've worked in my own personal touches that I won't spoil till I've got that report up.

MLV5- 4SRV with MOLAB mk II ready for launch

QT19CKsl.jpg

MOLAB with upper stage still attached on way to Mun. one of the batteries has shorted out - but that will be a quick fix on site as there is plenty of redundancy.

N28RBUDl.jpg

Edited by loch.ness

First AAP mission: Skylab deployment

aJJQmha.png?2

You know, if you think of the Skylab as a creature, you know, like a fine horse, then the workshop wing solar panels are much like wings, right? Then the ATM on what would be the "head", the Docking Adapter, could be like a horn--THANKS M.A. LARSON (click to go to Mission Reports post)

I did ask Greg some posts back if I could go for an AAP immediately after 11, even if I had plans for 12 onwards. And yes, there will still be at least a 12. Maybe an after-12. And certainly a Minmus. COMPLETE DISCLOSURE: from the first time I got Kerbal Space Program one year ago, back in 0.23.5, I've never been to Minmus. Or, for that matter, anywhere else but the Mun. I did get an intercept with an asteroid once. That's it, though. I just puttered around contentedly in cismunar space, only dreaming​ of going beyond the Mun.

Who knew all it took was GregroxMun resurrecting this challenge to kick my ass into gear? Thanks, Greg! :D PS: saw the scoreboard. Thanks again! :)

- snip -

Edit: After re-designing my MOLAB to actually be functional I've decided to treat the old MOLAB as a simulation - I'll still work it into my report but it won't be the official Apollo XIV mission. My new MOLAB I'm pretty happy with so far. Tests on Kerbin give it okay stability and function and I've worked in my own personal touches that I won't spoil till I've got that report up.

MLV5- 4SRV with MOLAB mk II ready for launch

http://i.imgur.com/QT19CKsl.jpg

MOLAB with upper stage still attached on way to Mun. one of the batteries has shorted out - but that will be a quick fix on site as there is plenty of redundancy.

http://i.imgur.com/N28RBUDl.jpg

Good to see your MOLAB on the way. :) What's the framework for the wheels? (And where did you get that straight-sided cargo bay on the front end?)

Edited by B-STRK

Well Kerbollo 17 has been flown, The landing video is up, but the return video will need some editing down, will probably make it into a blooper reel.

Everyone made it home safe eventually though the CSM did have to help with the docking.

Once I get that up, I'll have to design a patch for Kerbollo 18, and once that flies it is on to the ASTP, Skylab still needs some work.

Edited by Rhomphaia

A bunch more missions have been flown and I have now accomplished the requirements of the challenge!

Details are in my mission reports thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/124342-Aqua-Space-Program-%28current-challenge-Apollo-Applications%29?p=2005654&viewfull=1#post2005654

photo album:

Goals accomplished:

- Include ALSEP Science Package on Apollo 11-18 +5

- Include Lunar Rover on Apollo 11-18 +10

- Include Lunar Landing Escape System (And test it in a quicksave-simulation) on Apollo 11-18 +7 <-- this was included with my MOLAB

AAP challenges:

Skylab, Molab +40

Total Score: 132

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.