The Apollo Applications Program: 1.0 Edition

MORL Refit using Saturn V ELV and Big Gemini 'Space Taxi'

Having completed the Duna flyby mission and returned to high Kerbin orbit, it was time to refuel, restock and reuse the station. Two Saturn V ELV (Saturn V with 4 SRBs on first stage) were launched to the uncrewed MORL and then it was flown back to low orbit. Unsure what this station will be used for currently, but its in orbit with fully refueled tanks and full life support.

With permanent stations in place around Kerbin and plans for a station around the Mun, there is a need to get large crews to and from space. The Big Gemini scaled up the proven technology in the Gemini program to large crews, making it a perfect Space Taxi to and from low orbit. With a 'kicker' stage, can also serve Mun and Minmus excursion.

This update also introduces the Big Gemini Orbiting Research Laboratory (ORL), a single-launch solution for a Kerbin orbiting lab. In this mission, a nearly-full refueler left over from the MORL refit was used to boost the station to Munar orbit instead of around Kerbin. The station currently has 6 crew aboard with 77 days of supplies and will be the first part of a permanent Munar orbiting lab.

Two modified Saturn V's used to refuel and restock the MORL in high Kerbin orbit.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Big Gemini test-launch with a 20 day orbital test then the Saturn V MLV launch with the Big Gemini ORL, deployed around the Mun.

"We chose to go the Mun, not because it is easy, but because it is hard!"

These were the famous words of president John F. Kerman, during a Joint Session of Congress on May 25, 1961, announcing the intent of the US to attempt a Mun landing.

First, look at this:

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/z/zapcmlme.jpg

Just interesting, not important to my mission.

I'm working on this challenge.

Sorry for the scattershot post, I had a couple of ideas for this post, and they all kind of filtered through.

I have a saturn IB in testing right now.

Hehe.. I did a Big Gemini, but a Gemini lander would be awesome! Fun fact: I'm from the same stupid small town that Jim Chamberlin is from (designer of Gemini) and share his birthday, too! :D

Gemini is by far my favourite space craft, that thing is just beyond awesome. And since I updated my Gemini the other week I need a lander now :-D Didn't you start a gemini challenge once? Lots of fun. edit : yes you did!

The first half of KABOOM's MOLAB mission is complete, with a full report and photo album over in my mission report thread. Jeb and Herbus are busily surveying the surface for spots that are flat, scenic, and have good ore deposits. Once a final site is chosen, and the boys return, it will be time to start designing all the bits that will make up the Munar base. As is my custom, here's a photo to entice you. Enjoy.

q6bVFuc.png

Still need to finish the write up for 11 - part 2. When I had a chance to play I was messing around with a potential configuration change for Apollo 12-18 to include KIS constructed ALSEP and LER.

14BCB2362C7C9D8EEB585AEA7F14FBDEA6C35BB4

I'd have preferred a different wheel - but with those I need 4 containers plus the kerbonauts inventory (KIS) and still don't have room for ALSEP.

Edit: - that is not the final configuration for the LEM - it was just a quick and dirty concept test. I still need to do a final reconfiguration and then recheck my TWRs.

Apollo 11's landing report is up. Once I've gotten the report for them back (and the report for Skylab) done I think my point count will be:

- Saturn Five uses 5 engines on the first stage, 5 engines on the second stage, and one engine on the third stage. +20

- Free-Return Trajectory until in Mun's SOI. +10

- Lander stored behind a fairing. +10

- Leave Descent Stage on Mun. +5

- Include ALSEP Science Package on Apollo 11-18 +5 (not yet - 12+ should all have it. 11 did not)

- Include Lunar Rover on Apollo 11-18 +10(not yet - 12+ should all have it. 11 did not)

- Include Lunar Subsatellite on Apollo 11-18.+5

Missions have been so far built with only Stock parts, but in Apollo 12+ I'll be using KIS and Dmagic Science parts and in Skylab there are USI life-support parts. No points for Stock.

- Launch Escape System. +5

- Use fuel cells for power generation only +10

- Use a Life Support mod +26 (Points don't count until I do an extended stay somewhere - a 15+ day mission is where USI life-support is needed) Duna and Eve missions will.

Current points: 65

Apollo XII (next mission) should grant me +15 (ALSEP and ROVER)

Then XIII

Then Skylab and I get to add the badge at ~ 80 points (though I'm not anywhere near done with this challenge or the report).

I'm already working on MOLAB test configurations with my Saturn INT-21 - but that's further ahead than I'm ready for yet.

XpH00sdl.png

Lunar Mapping and Survey System (LM&SS)

Using a variant of the KH-7 Gambit imaging satellite used by the NRO, this is a crewed mission to a Munar polar orbit carrying the LM&SS aboard in place of a standard LM. The purpose is to scan for rich deposits of ore, for use with the Mobile Mining and Landing Platform. The mission needs to be crewed, as the original design for retrieving images from KH-7 Gambit was by manually extracting the film and returning it for developing. The C/SM is a standard Apollo with the sub-satellites removed and replaced with some life support and retractable solar panels.

mticOk1l.png

Munar Shuttle and Mining/Landing Platform

After surveying the surface to find some good ore locations, a re-usable surface/low Munar orbit shuttle was launched on a Saturn INT-21. This was docked to the Big Gemini Munar Laboratory in preparation to land on the Mobile Mining and Landing Platform.

A Saturn V ELV launched the Mobile Mining and Landing platform, which landed autonomously on the surface before being joined by the Munar surface shuttle. Landing and docking to the platform was a bit hairy...

- Saturn Five uses 5 engines on the first stage, 5 engines on the second stage, and one engine on the third

stage. +20

- Free-Return Trajectory until in Mun's SOI. +10

- Lander stored behind a fairing. +10

- Leave Descent Stage on Mun. +5

- Include ALSEP Science Package on Apollo 11-18 +5

- Include Lunar Rover on Apollo 11-18 +10

- Include Lunar Subsatellite on Apollo 11-18.+5

- Launch Escape System. +5

- Use fuel cells for power generation only +10

- Use a Life Support mod +26

- Fly a mission to Minmus using Apollo/Saturn hardware. +30

- Have a fuel processing plant on the Munar base. +20

- AAP "base" mission MOLAB +0

- AAP extension 1: Duna Flyby +20

- AAP extension 2: Skylab +20

- AAP extension 3: Munar Base +20

Step 3: Apollo Applications Program

+30 points, now at 120

Edit: After going back, I found out that the game saved when the base was landed properly, and I was able to jettison the sky crane without any problems. Yay!

Lunar Space Station is up!

Lunar Base is crewed, +20, now at 140

Will continue adding to base

Edited by WH40krules

So the MOLAB and initial Munar Base missions are done, with a bit more description and the lone good photo (don't ask) in my mission report thread. With 40 more points, my total is now 157.

However, we're heading back to the Mun to build a bigger base in a better location that will have mining and refining capability. Stay tuned for more info as the designs get refined.

After thinking it over, I've decided to follow the example of the likes of norcal and ness, and actually do all the narrative stuff over [thread=123638]in a separate mission report thread[/thread], to reduce clutter in this challenge thread. Anyway, I've got my VIII and IX in the bag, and posted the report for VIII. (And it should have been earlier, except a spotty internet connection ate my post when I hit post. I hate spotty internet connections.)

oW7B8BX.png?1

Obligatory mandatory reglementary teaser shot that looks good for HBO

Short version is that I seriously doubt that 1.0.2 aerodynamics is Souposphere 2.0. At least at 40km. At least, that's what my fouled skip-reentry says.

Also, I need to learn to read the freaking instructions, making this a no-score flight.

Z5erBKz.png?1

Anyway, head on over to see the fate of the CSM Cho Chang, y'all, and why Val may never appear in public, ever again. :D

Apollo 12 was a very odd mission - my computer seemed to have trolled the forum for whatever annoying visual bugs it could send me without actually compromising anything so the screen-shot selection will be limited.

Lunar rover construction was odd, more difficult with the lower gravity (things tend to jump unpredictably if there is any clipping on attachment) but I found solutions. My proto-types had solar panels, but I destroyed all the panels before using them after checking of the LRV had them (it did not). ALSEP did have an RTG - like the original one.

I'll be planning some set-pieces to work into the Apollo 12 and 13 reports. (the 12 report has new uniforms - selections from Gregroxmun's ST:TOS pack). Story wise this along with the LRV come from the renewed funding and new directives for the AAP (Space-station, Resource mining, Munar exploration and habitat). My main delay right now is equal parts time and inspiration as to what those set-pieces should be and/or how to implement those ideas.

Apollo 12 was a very odd mission - my computer seemed to have trolled the forum for whatever annoying visual bugs it could send me without actually compromising anything so the screen-shot selection will be limited.

Lunar rover construction was odd, more difficult with the lower gravity (things tend to jump unpredictably if there is any clipping on attachment) but I found solutions. My proto-types had solar panels, but I destroyed all the panels before using them after checking of the LRV had them (it did not). ALSEP did have an RTG - like the original one.

I'll be planning some set-pieces to work into the Apollo 12 and 13 reports. (the 12 report has new uniforms - selections from Gregroxmun's ST:TOS pack). Story wise this along with the LRV come from the renewed funding and new directives for the AAP (Space-station, Resource mining, Munar exploration and habitat). My main delay right now is equal parts time and inspiration as to what those set-pieces should be and/or how to implement those ideas.

Re: Clipping, How odd? If the wheel's support is clipped to the rover frame, would it trigger the oddities you encountered?

Also, (a question which Greg could answer, too) would using the solar panels on the RV count against the fuel cell score for that mission, or for the challenge, at all? I mean, in terms of fuel cell-only scoring, I'd like to believe that at least one mission (or to be more strict about it, at least one Mun landing mission) be fuel cell-only to garner the score. On the other hand, it could be the case that all the missions, at least for Apollo Lunar, should have been fuel cell-only to get the score.

For clipping: This is KIS specific

If the green outline of the wheel is partially clipped into the ground - the wheel spawns flush with the surface and creates force upwardly. On kerbin this is a little bounce. On Mun it sends the whole structure summer-salting. If the wheel part is totally eclipsed it just gets buried under the surface and is then useless.

To counter-act this I use a ground pylon (KIS part) attached to the ground and put the rover base part placed on top. (if you attach it on top the root part will become impossible to remove later). I was able to build the rover without problems so long as I had the mode up high enough that the wheels didn't touch the ground (look ma, no springs!). It was a perfectly serviceable rover - though having landed on a slope made it hard to estimate how far it could go and come back (if back was up-hill). I do plan to change future versions to include an Oscar B and a fuel cell.

I know that when I get to semi - permanent bases and eve/duna missions - solar will be part of the equation.

Edit- update: Also. I did a concept test for my Apollo 13 mission (not the real flight yet because I'm not ready with the set pieces and props and such - just wanted to see if an idea I had would work and look good enough). So here is the Apollo 13 teaser.

ypa0CB7.jpg

Mission Control set piece for use in Apollo 12 and 13 mission reports ("test flight" - the desks need to be shorter by a bit if I ever have people sit down.)

6gf1Ypll.jpg

Edited by loch.ness

For clipping: This is KIS specific

If the green outline of the wheel is partially clipped into the ground - the wheel spawns flush with the surface and creates force upwardly. On kerbin this is a little bounce. On Mun it sends the whole structure summer-salting. If the wheel part is totally eclipsed it just gets buried under the surface and is then useless.

To counter-act this I use a ground pylon (KIS part) attached to the ground and put the rover base part placed on top. (if you attach it on top the root part will become impossible to remove later). I was able to build the rover without problems so long as I had the mode up high enough that the wheels didn't touch the ground (look ma, no springs!). It was a perfectly serviceable rover - though having landed on a slope made it hard to estimate how far it could go and come back (if back was up-hill). I do plan to change future versions to include an Oscar B and a fuel cell.

I know that when I get to semi - permanent bases and eve/duna missions - solar will be part of the equation.

Edit- update: Also. I did a concept test for my Apollo 13 mission (not the real flight yet because I'm not ready with the set pieces and props and such - just wanted to see if an idea I had would work and look good enough). So here is the Apollo 13 teaser.

http://i.imgur.com/ypa0CB7.jpg

Mission Control set piece for use in Apollo 12 and 13 mission reports ("test flight" - the desks need to be shorter by a bit if I ever have people sit down.)

http://i.imgur.com/6gf1Ypll.jpg

Ah, I was thinking clipping in the editor. I've heard of it in the KIS forums (I think), which made me want to avoid surface construction of vehicles as much as possible. Which makes me worried about parts replacement for broken MOLAB-class rovers when it's time for them to deploy. I think I'm gonna need a wheel jack to properly install a medium-sized wheel. (**starts looking into Infernal Robotics parts**)

How did you get your Apollo to fragment like that?

Where did you get those Kerbin textures?

Those are from KSPRC, I don't use the clouds because my laptop can't handle them :huh:

What mod are those IVA's from?

ASET Exploration Rover System, the parts are beautiful but pretty memory intensive. Currently I'm crashing out every half an hour or so (though not while building) which is pretty frustrating but KSP doesn't take that long to load up thanks to 1.0.

I haven't posted anything here for a while because I am pushed for time and want to make my next mission really awesome. I'm going to Duna in a big way. So far I've completed six launches of around 20! I've christened this mission the Ares program:

I4eWPPJ.png

With just 55 days to go until the optimal transfer window to Duna arrives (on which date the crew will depart), the KSC team have been working overtime to get the massive amount of infrastructure for Duna surface operations launched. Old technologies have been revamped to endure the long voyage to Duna and back. A new CSM mkII is rolled out to be launched on the Saturn IB Advanced. This new CSM is smaller, lighter, requiring less fuel due to the limited operations it will perform in LKO. It is also equipped with solar panels for long endurance flights instead of the traditional fuel cells. Most notable of the upgrades, however, is the Saturn V MLV 140, a vast super-heavy launch vehicle made by strapping four 3.75m LFBs to the side of a Saturn V rocket:

UuXJpwU.png

Katuki photographs Sean Kerman inspecting the newly-arrived Saturn V 140 rocket.

The 140 part of the name denotes the configuration. 1 = there is one standard Saturn V core. 4 = there are four liquid-fuel boosters. 0 = there are zero solid-fuel boosters. Future planned configurations include the Saturn V 300 and Saturn V 144.

So far the 140 has flown four times and proven reliable, performing perfectly even when an aerodynamic event destroyed the nose-cone of one of the boosters.

The plan is as follows:

2 x Duna Transfer Vehicle constructed in orbit - completed, named DTV-1 Kennedy and DTV-2 Von Braun - Each vessel required two launches, one for the habitat module (capable of carrying six kerbals) and one Saturn 140 launch carrying a modified S-IVB propulsion stage.

3 x MOLAB Duna launches - 2/3 completed. The MOLAB Duna Rover has a docking port to connect to the base. The Saturn 140 is able to propel them directly to Duna at a suboptimal transfer so they will be ready by the time the crew arrives. The rovers are vital to the mission as the base modules will not all be in one place (to save framerate) so kerbals will need to drive between them.

5 x Ares Base Module launches. Again using Saturn 140s, these will go direct to Duna. Each carries two base modules. These can be driven around and docked together to form a permanent outpost. Modules include: Cupola, Habitat, Life Support, Cargo, Airlock and Rover Dock.

2 x Duna Science Outpost Launches. These two science labs will be landed at strategic locations around Duna. The crew will drive to them to perform science experiments during their stay on the surface.

2 x Ares Crew Landers. These two stage landers are too heavy to go direct, so will require a small S-IVB stage to be docked to them in orbit, giving 4 total launches for them. They will arrive at Duna before the crew do.

2 x Saturn IB Advanced launches take total of 6 crew to orbit, 3 in DTV-1 and 3 in DTV-2. They will depart Kerbin at the same time and arrive at Duna in close succession. Should anything go wrong, one could rendezvous with the other and have enough supplies to support a double crew and return them home.

I have images for the launches I have completed but will not add them until the whole mission is complete.

Progress is slow at the moment because I'm limiting myself to an hour of KSP a day at most with exams coming up, and some of that time is spent working on stuff for the next release of the Endurance mod, so I haven't got much done other than construction this week.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.