The Apollo Applications Program: 1.0 Edition

It's great looking at other entries for inspiration and plagiar--I mean design lessons, especially considering that some of the entrants here are already on Mun and Minmus MEM-deployed rovers and I'm having a hard time fitting mine, either as a side drop or in a service bay. Still a design challenge to solve, and probably find hope in others' endeavors. (Am strongly leaning towards just hanging them off the sides of the crew tank though, like Scott Manley did for the Reddit Apollo challenge (pre-1.0).

And ugh, benjee10, your use of Tantares is now making me wanting to drop Tantares on my AAP Challenge game install. **drops down and assumes the fetal position, crying** My RAM, my precious RAM... (Why can't 1.0 be the Unity 5 release we've all been waiting for? :D ) Even at least for the solar panels and RCS tanks, if I'm planning to skip ASTP.

ness, I'd positively agree with Gregrox about the involved storytelling. On that note, I don't know if I'd ever be courageous to try out DangIt ("but I don't want to lose any Kerbal, like ever"), though I could already imagine how it could trigger your Apollo 13 phase at any time (paging Ron Howard :P ). Great storytelling has sometimes arisen from procedural developments, after all. If I want to pursue the same storytelling angle I've started with, I'm gonna have to think up my own approach to it, besides a unique plot, of course.

Also, just curious for design lessons, but I've noticed the offset docking port in some closeups of your Apollo CM, but why the struts from the CM nose to the port? Is there a physics thing I need to be aware of?

All in all, eager to see everyone else's next steps!

ness, I'd positively agree with Gregrox about the involved storytelling. On that note, I don't know if I'd ever be courageous to try out DangIt ("but I don't want to lose any Kerbal, like ever"), though I could already imagine how it could trigger your Apollo 13 phase at any time (paging Ron Howard :P ). Great storytelling has sometimes arisen from procedural developments, after all. If I want to pursue the same storytelling angle I've started with, I'm gonna have to think up my own approach to it, besides a unique plot, of course.

Also, just curious for design lessons, but I've noticed the offset docking port in some closeups of your Apollo CM, but why the struts from the CM nose to the port? Is there a physics thing I need to be aware of?

All in all, eager to see everyone else's next steps!

I've got an octogon truss piece (can't remember what stock calls it) on the Mk 1-2 pod with the parachutes attached to it so that they appear to be inside the pod, but without clipping things (2 drogue and 2 normal). There are also 3 communitrons in there angled so that when deployed (action group 4) they become Apollo's male docking port.

CC443D7C2FA88AA4F8DA8AFF359E61ECD7788D45

So the docking port isn't offset, its on top of another piece and the struts are because I wasn't sure if it would hold together fine without it. It worked well enough that I never went back and removed them.

For my LEM - The decent stage is all built around the decoupler from the Ascent stage - so it stays behind wonderfully when I stage. I did have to use the offset tools for that (so that the tanks would connect at the right spots.

For my SIC stage - the spine of the stage is a line of XL Girder segments. There are no internal tanks besides the visible 4 outside ones. I tell myself this makes up for the bottom (Mk2-3 adaptors) that account for the Saturn V's bulge at the bottom. The downside of this is that the lower stage implodes on separation (I was never able to fix that) but otherwise it flys wonderfully. Most of my ascents don't use SAS behind the first 3000 meters.

On Dang IT! - I like it better than Mechanical Failures (The competitor mod). MF had a 25% + failure rate on decouplers which means that almost every launch was a pain in the neck - on the other hand I never saw a failure other than that when I was using that mod (and it was always a silent failure too). The one thing I dislike with Dang IT! is that it has a Master Alarm sound effect which isn't easy to turn off. If there is a failure during launch (Apollo X had a LEM reaction wheel failure) - you get stuck with the alarm until your in orbit it seems. The failures can usually be fixed without any problem. They ruined my day on Apollo VII because of the way monopropellent flows. One tank leaked when I had my machine on mute and drained all of my CSM's mono-propellent. Apollo VII didn't need to do LEM docking tests though so I counted it as a win.

Apollo VIII was fuel leak happy, but nothing mission critical. It did make Apollo IX feel special since there were no errors throughout the entire flight.

Just finished Apollo X. I decided what I wanted to happen for Apollo X before I flew the mission and it wound up working out perfectly. I'm not sure if Apollo 13 will happen by itself or if I'll need to force it (using the manual failure option on the mod) - but for post 13 missions everything is going to become a lot more organic as I move beyond just recreating steps in the Apollo program and move into AAP elements too. For Apollo X - I'll just say that Bill and Jeb's relationship will never be the same after that mission. Jeb is never going to forget that experience, or who made it happen.

Edited by loch.ness

Starlab I has been launched, marking the beginning of the AAP for KABOOM. Total points earned at this point is 80, plus whatever GregroxMun wants to give me for my picture perfect free return trajectory. We're not finished by a long shot - now we're getting to the interesting part. :-) More information, including a detailed breakdown of the points, can be found in my mission report thread. And as always, here's a photo to give you a sneak peek.

IgqU4gO.png

It just so happens that my current stock career game has just landed a probe on the Mun. Early testing and development for a Kerbaled mission to land on the Mun, and plant a flag has just begun. I would like to use my career mode trip to the Mun as an attempt to complete this challenge. I have read all 11 pages of this thread, and I have no questions. I will report back once I have a few missions under my belt, it might take a while though, I play KSP only a few hours a week.

Regards,

Chris Maillet

Really enjoying every entry on this thread!

This mission uses a variant proposal of the AAP Manned Orbital Research Lab (MORL) as a flyby mission past Mars. The original proposal launched three fully-fueled S-IVB docked in serial arrangement on separate Saturn V launches. These were all attached to a Douglas Manned Orbiting Research Laboratory. The spacecraft supported up to four crew but roomy enough for three for the 942 day flight.

Getting to Duna doesn't require much more ÃŽâ€v than Minmus, so this mission used only three Saturn V launches: MORL, Duna injection stage (enhanved S-IVB), modified Apollo CS/M with three crew and Duna science package (including a surface rover). Got within 119km of Duna and only needed 190m/s burn at Kebol Pe to get back Kerbin. MORL returned to orbit, ready for the next mission (Eve flyby) and crew landed safely.

MORL in Mars flyby configuration

p36.jpg

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edited by Death Engineering

MOLAB RETURN

MVAzLx9.png

3UQcnwV.png

After several days on the surface, Sean and Zelzie drove MOLAB the 7 or so km back to the landing site. They EVA'd back to the LEM and powered it up for liftoff. Mission control were initially anxious that the angle at which the LEM had settled would cause problems on ascent but Sean managed to pilot it straight and a few minutes later they were safely in orbit and rendezvoused with Mirula Kerman in the orbiting CSM.

APHRODITE - EVE FLYBY

Meanwhile, scientists at the KSC are confident that the Skylab mission, despite not being yet over, has provided ample enough evidence that kerbals are indeed able to survive in space for long periods of time. They push for the Eve flyby mission that has long been talked of. Having got the mission approved, engineers and mission planners work overtime to get everything ready for the Eve transfer window in just a few months time. A spare Skylab is modified to be suitable for the mission and a special S-IVB stage is constructed to provide the fuel needed to shift something the size of Skylab all the way out to Eve. It is decided early on that the S-IVB will be discarded around Eve, with the CSM's engines firing to provide the final push back to Kerbin. In order to do this it must have as much fuel as possible, so launching with the conventional Saturn IB and using fuel cells for power will be impossible. Engineers quickly retrofit a CSM in storage with photovoltaic panels and a new Saturn IB rocket is commissioned with an expanded S-IVB stage and four strap-on solid rocket boosters. This will enable the CSM to reach orbit with nearly all its fuel, expending only a little on rendezvous.

Finally, with just weeks to go, the whole system is ready. First to launch is the habitat module as this lacks the attitude control required for docking.

8xcqeOB.png

d9UsdPr.png

Safely in orbit, the second part of the Aphrodite spacecraft is launched.

GEzvBsG.png

Unfortunately more fuel is used in rendezvous than was anticipated, but docking is successful.

fthAOds.png

At last, on the day of the optimum transfer, the first Saturn IB Advanced lifts off with veteran crewmembers Obemy, Kirnand and Franliana. Obemy has flown twice before, once on the very first manned test flight of the CSM, and once in lonely vigil over the Mun on Apollo XI. Kirnand was engineer on Apollo XIV on which he deployed a Lunar Satellite by EVA as well as walking on the surface, and also flew on the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project. Franliana is the least experienced of the three, having flown only once before as CM pilot on the Apollo XIX mission to Minmus. Between them, however, they all have experience of life in deep space and with how to pilot the CSM.

CszuVq0.png

URtdtnI.png

The CSM docks successfully and a short burn puts them on course to intercept Eve. During the course of the transfer, the Skylab mission ends and its crew are returned to Kerbin. As Aphrodite I approaches Eve, two probes are deployed, intended to enter the planet's atmosphere and land. However, due to an engineering oversight the probes lack the torque to overcome their off-axis thrust, resulting in one hitting one of the CSM's solar panels. The probe drop is aborted, much to the scientists' dismay.

Ubiaz7B.png

The crew get just a few hours of observation of Eve before they must start up their engines to put themselves on a trajectory that intercepts Kerbin. The S-IVB stage burns out sooner than expected, meaning that the CSM must make the brunt of the burn. The crew only just make it, using RCS thrusters to fine tune their trajectory after the fuel runs out. Several months later, they return to Kerbin, streaking across the polar skies at above 4km/s. The CM detaches and orients itself with heat shield first, while the rest of the spacecraft burns up rapidly. The crew splashdown safely.

pzqybQC.png

After their long trip, Obemy, Kirnand and Franliana report feelings of exhaustion and some disappointment at the lack of stuff to do and the brevity of their encounter with Eve. It is decided that the next major mission will be a large-scale visit to Duna, intended to carry six kerbals and begin construction of a semi-permanent outpost on the red planet. Scientists and engineers once again begin the scramble to design, build and test the massive abundance of technology required for this unprecedented mission...

- AAP Eve flyby +20

Total = 230

Built my Skylab - will launch it after Apollo 11 (mission in progress right now.

I tweaked my Saturn V very slightly (got clean stage 1 seperation - but loose a good amount of Delta V, will be going back to the older configuration for all future launches unless trying to get stage separation pictures (apollo 11 & 13).

Had to finish up for tonight with Apollo 11 on its way to Mun. But I made this happen with no mid-course corrections:

e3Lto2Sl.jpg

I technically hadn't circularized yet (was in an 80x64 orbit, saw TMI shortly ahead of me and set up my manuver).

Mun Periapsis is 34km - perfect height to circularize and hunt for a landing zone.

Thanks Coga19000ï¼ Your comments earlier in the thread gave me the info I needed to even try for this.

Edited by loch.ness

That's it. I need to get to VIII. As soon as I can. These figure-8's are haunting me. :P

Everyone's design solutions have been interesting and inspirational so far, especially with rover stowage and post-Apollo. Of course, I feel my challenge now is to find unique or at least notably different ways of solving the same challenges, while sticking to the Apollo aesthetic and performance parameters.

Anyway, Greg, since the Mk 2 cans can only fit 2, would you be forgiving if either the -13 mission challenge leaves a pilot in the pod, or only carries two crew to fit the parameters? (Or should the MEM have been designed for 3 for this contingency?) Still debating whether to do a -13 or not. :)

That's it. I need to get to VIII. As soon as I can. These figure-8's are haunting me. :P

Everyone's design solutions have been interesting and inspirational so far, especially with rover stowage and post-Apollo. Of course, I feel my challenge now is to find unique or at least notably different ways of solving the same challenges, while sticking to the Apollo aesthetic and performance parameters.

Anyway, Greg, since the Mk 2 cans can only fit 2, would you be forgiving if either the -13 mission challenge leaves a pilot in the pod, or only carries two crew to fit the parameters? (Or should the MEM have been designed for 3 for this contingency?) Still debating whether to do a -13 or not. :)

You can fit the third in the CSM. But I would think it to be rather neat if you stuffed the third in a rover seat or something :P.

Sorry if I don't respond to your stuff, by the way. Just make sure you have your points count visible so I can add you to the leaderboard.

Edited by GregroxMun

The SunShooter Program

An Apollo Program analogue by B-STRK

CHAPTER I: I've got a kabin fever (and the only prescription is MOAR KOWBELL)

DCRjwjq.png

Inspecting the Luna Munar Excursion Module (MEM)

Bob Kerman (scientist) and James P. Kerman (Project EVANNA craft design director), attending

TtoRD7N.png

Bill Kerman observes Rodsy Kerman familiarize himself with the Luna MEM.

Bill Kerman SHOULD be in isolation, prepping for VII.

Bill Kerman is SO GONNA GET IT COME PAYDAY

GET YOUR ASS INTO ISOLATION AND A SPACE SUIT BILL

Bob: I don't like it.

James: What?

Bob: That.

James: The Luna? ;.; Shh, you'll hurt her feelings.

Bob: I'm just going to ignore that you're treating the MEM like you want to make out with it and jump into what I'm trying to say. She's too small.

James: She'll get the job done.

Bob: Without stowage for a rover.

James: :huh: Not this again. Look, we all agreed that we're not thinking about rovers until SunShooter XV. XIV, XIII, maybe. But certainly not X to XII. We had to get a lander ready with all the right parameters that the bosses are looking for, and Luna's what we've got if you want to land on the Mun by X.

Bob: And how do the bosses expect me to scout out for Ore if I can't get more than a stone's throw away from the landing site? The surface sampler's not exactly a hand-carry.

James: Okay, two things. One, baby steps. We worry about landing on the Mun first, before anything else. Anyway, we need a successful landing to set the parameters for Evolved Luna and NARGL. Two, the the rover we've got is still too big.

Bob: RED Rover, too big? :mad: Are you kidding me? She's already smaller than previous prototypes!

6m0xTF5.png

RED Rover, RED Rover, send Whatshernameagain right over!

(In response to the implied insult, Crisoldin Kerman promptly decked Rodsy up the nose)

James: Not small enough. Not to mention, there's no convenient way to load her into a manned lander. Gods, we asked if EVANNA could handle the rover design, but nooo, the Powers-That-Be tossed it off to KRISTEN instead.

Bob: They are in charge of surface exploitation, after all, it makes sense. They've even been working on rovers--

James: MOLAB. MOLAB isn't a rover, it's a monstrosity. Kraken knows how the ALY engineers plan to get that thing down in one piece. They've been so obsessed with Phase II they've forgotten that their systems for Phase I need to interface with ours.

Bob: Fine. In two hours, I'm going to go face Christina and say we can't get Ore samples until SunShooter XIII at the earliest--and even then you're not making any promises--because the subprojects aren't playing nice with each other.

James: Okay. Damn it. My turn to play nice. Tell Project KRISTEN to toss off their munar buggy blueprints our direction, and I'll see if we can find a way to shrink it. It still won't be ready in time for X, but at least we can tweak the new MEM so that you're sure to have your joyride by XIII.

Bob: Got it. And I'll be sure to update them about how you called one of their pet designs a monstrosity.

James: :rolleyes: This is why the subprojects don't play nice with one another.

Bob: Hey, you're the one who called it a monstrosity. Don't be so judgmental.

The (relative) success of SunShooter IV cleared the way for KSP to approve manned flights with the Celestia CSM. That didn't include flights post-LKO, and the Sparkle V was simply too powerful for the job of LKO delivery. Enter the Sparkle IB, a lower-cost platform development from the Sparkle V, using the same SIVB booster with a Rockomax-SpaceY first stage.

Kds7Tep.png

Enter, too, the intrepid crew of the SunShooter VII - Engineer Bill Kerman, Scientist-Copilot Hudgar Kerman, and Pilot Samene Kerman - who are to take (and endure) three days in the Celestia CSM Herman Hermininny Hermononucleosis Hermione Granger in LKO to prove the CSM systems, to prove themselves as astronauts, to prove the viability of the SunShooter program to land a Kerbal on the Mun before the decade is out...

Or to prove that Kongress was crazy to fund this circus. How will it turn out? Let's go look, shall we?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

AFTER ACTION REPORT:

Christina Kerman, Project Director: "Ugh. Another almost-perfect landing, ruined by unforeseen design considerations. Either we start treating heat shields as crumple zones as well, or we order more parachutes."

Random engineer: "Well, those heat shields do make good crumple zones."

Christina: "Order the damn parachutes."

Just adding this to keep track when it comes time to tally the scores.

New scores in this chapter are: Life support (now that it counts--but does Snacks count?), and... that's it.

+26 for Snacks! Since SunShooter VII's a fuel cell-only flight the whole 3 days (the panels on the BonBon don't count, right?), this would make the fuel cell scoring from the last time finally legit. And I think I added up wrong in the Prologue (whoops!).

To recap the scores, this would be:

Prologue:

Saturn V 5+5+1 = 20

LES = 5

Chapter 1:

Fuel Cell = 10

Life Support = 26

Total to date = 61 points. Potentially reducible if the judgement is that Snacks! is too generous by life support standards.

Next time: VIII and figure-8s.

Also, we eat munar regolith.

Greg - no problem re: responses. Still not done with Apollo Program, anyway, let alone AAP and Super Manley. I may just need some judgment calls on the scoring, to see if I hit the conditions right. :)

"We chose to go the Mun, not because it is easy, but because it is hard!"

These were the famous words of president John F. Kerman, during a Joint Session of Congress on May 25, 1961, announcing the intent of the US to attempt a Mun landing.

First, look at this:

zapcmlme.jpg

Just interesting, not important to my mission.

I'm working on this challenge.

Best of Luck MailletC! If you need any help I'm sure myself and the others in the thread would be happy to oblige.

Currently flying Apollo XI home after a very successful landing and return. (I technically launched Skylab already but it won't come up in the mission reports until after XIII - I just wanted to test my configurations and it flew so well that I saved the pictures and left it up there).

I just wanted to report I have opened a thread on the Mission Reports section of the forum to document my attempt at this challenge.

Wish me luck, I think I'll need it.

Dude, with stock, an existing career, and doing calculations on your own, you are taking this challenge hard core.

(Great design on the fuel struts at the bottom of the rocket, too! Lends a certain authenticity to the aesthetic.)

May luck and rep be with you! :) I hope to see the architecture you create with the parts you can unlock. (My own career (on hold for this challenge for now) is more of a function over form thing, especially without fairings unlocked yet.)

Once I get Imgur to be cooperative I'll start writing up Apollo XI's report. I plan to wait to after Apollo XIII in the report thread for this part ... but I skipped ahead in my game-play because I was suffering from Skylab envy:

3C9550FA44683C90A5D2463CDB289760585764B1

Edited by loch.ness
picture fixed.

Once I get Imgur to be cooperative I'll start writing up Apollo XI's report. I plan to wait to after Apollo XIII in the report thread for this part ... but I skipped ahead in my game-play because I was suffering from Skylab envy:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/29617455092278850/3C9550FA44683C90A5D2463CDB289760585764B1/

Wet Workshop model-analogue, if I may ask? Noting that you've not ditched the engine bell here. :)

Also, I may have to alter my Skylab a bit: except for using NFSolar, I kinda went with what you've got (except I ditch the SIVB, going with the Dry here). Hard to avoid when deliberately restricting the number of mods I plug in. :D

Wet workshop analog and I forgot to add a way to decouple the Science bay + hitchiker from the IVB stage (and I couldn't get any decent way to ditch the engine to work). - also there is still a good amount of fuel in that tank, so I might need to think about re-doing that mission when its time.

I have another standard and a jr docking port up there too (for another Apollo or a Gemini mission). I'm mostly happy with my ATM. I stole the solar panel layout from Norcal (was going to use 1x6s till I saw how that one looked). I had to manually fly the ATM into position after rendezvous with a CSM launched from a Saturn IB. There is 1 mod part on the station - a 2.5m USI life-support tank (3 years worth of supplies for a crew of 3). everything fit into a 3m faring - though it did get very tall).

MOLAB RETURN

http://i.imgur.com/MVAzLx9.png

http://i.imgur.com/3UQcnwV.png

After several days on the surface, Sean and Zelzie drove MOLAB the 7 or so km back to the landing site. They EVA'd back to the LEM and powered it up for liftoff. Mission control were initially anxious that the angle at which the LEM had settled would cause problems on ascent but Sean managed to pilot it straight and a few minutes later they were safely in orbit and rendezvoused with Mirula Kerman in the orbiting CSM.

APHRODITE - EVE FLYBY

Meanwhile, scientists at the KSC are confident that the Skylab mission, despite not being yet over, has provided ample enough evidence that kerbals are indeed able to survive in space for long periods of time. They push for the Eve flyby mission that has long been talked of. Having got the mission approved, engineers and mission planners work overtime to get everything ready for the Eve transfer window in just a few months time. A spare Skylab is modified to be suitable for the mission and a special S-IVB stage is constructed to provide the fuel needed to shift something the size of Skylab all the way out to Eve. It is decided early on that the S-IVB will be discarded around Eve, with the CSM's engines firing to provide the final push back to Kerbin. In order to do this it must have as much fuel as possible, so launching with the conventional Saturn IB and using fuel cells for power will be impossible. Engineers quickly retrofit a CSM in storage with photovoltaic panels and a new Saturn IB rocket is commissioned with an expanded S-IVB stage and four strap-on solid rocket boosters. This will enable the CSM to reach orbit with nearly all its fuel, expending only a little on rendezvous.

Finally, with just weeks to go, the whole system is ready. First to launch is the habitat module as this lacks the attitude control required for docking.

http://i.imgur.com/8xcqeOB.png

http://i.imgur.com/d9UsdPr.png

Safely in orbit, the second part of the Aphrodite spacecraft is launched.

http://i.imgur.com/GEzvBsG.png

Unfortunately more fuel is used in rendezvous than was anticipated, but docking is successful.

http://i.imgur.com/fthAOds.png

At last, on the day of the optimum transfer, the first Saturn IB Advanced lifts off with veteran crewmembers Obemy, Kirnand and Franliana. Obemy has flown twice before, once on the very first manned test flight of the CSM, and once in lonely vigil over the Mun on Apollo XI. Kirnand was engineer on Apollo XIV on which he deployed a Lunar Satellite by EVA as well as walking on the surface, and also flew on the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project. Franliana is the least experienced of the three, having flown only once before as CM pilot on the Apollo XIX mission to Minmus. Between them, however, they all have experience of life in deep space and with how to pilot the CSM.

http://i.imgur.com/CszuVq0.png

http://i.imgur.com/URtdtnI.png

The CSM docks successfully and a short burn puts them on course to intercept Eve. During the course of the transfer, the Skylab mission ends and its crew are returned to Kerbin. As Aphrodite I approaches Eve, two probes are deployed, intended to enter the planet's atmosphere and land. However, due to an engineering oversight the probes lack the torque to overcome their off-axis thrust, resulting in one hitting one of the CSM's solar panels. The probe drop is aborted, much to the scientists' dismay.

http://i.imgur.com/Ubiaz7B.png

The crew get just a few hours of observation of Eve before they must start up their engines to put themselves on a trajectory that intercepts Kerbin. The S-IVB stage burns out sooner than expected, meaning that the CSM must make the brunt of the burn. The crew only just make it, using RCS thrusters to fine tune their trajectory after the fuel runs out. Several months later, they return to Kerbin, streaking across the polar skies at above 4km/s. The CM detaches and orients itself with heat shield first, while the rest of the spacecraft burns up rapidly. The crew splashdown safely.

http://i.imgur.com/pzqybQC.png

After their long trip, Obemy, Kirnand and Franliana report feelings of exhaustion and some disappointment at the lack of stuff to do and the brevity of their encounter with Eve. It is decided that the next major mission will be a large-scale visit to Duna, intended to carry six kerbals and begin construction of a semi-permanent outpost on the red planet. Scientists and engineers once again begin the scramble to design, build and test the massive abundance of technology required for this unprecedented mission...

- AAP Eve flyby +20

Total = 230

Where did you get those Kerbin textures?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.