Space Shuttle Pack for ksp 1.0.4 dev thread

Mike-NZ

The shuttle included a break parachute to help slow down on landing. Also I would suggest using TAC fuel balance to dump the excess monoprop to help it come in for a landing.

finialy it is back! my dreams come true :)

Have you tested it under FAR and DRE?

HI there are a lot of bugs is this mod, and a lot of patchy things that need to be im proved like: the srbs take to long to attach to there decouplers so it doesn't work you could add a node to the decouplers and the srbs so they can be attached more easy. and its hard to fit some parts for a space station into the cargobay so,could you move the adapter thing under the crew cabbing

one last thing is when you click D to get into orbit you start spinning out of control. plz email me if you have fixed theses minor but game changing issues

thx from Andrew R :D:D:cool:

i don't know why but the shuttle explodes on the launchpad.it's really frustrating that i can't get it work. it seems that Kerbal Joint Reinforcement it's not working for me

Do you have launch clamps? the external tank itself will make the launchpad explode, add launch clamps to the SRBs and the bottom side of the orbiter

Hi andrewsna. Please have a try with the new but not quite yet finished boosters and decoupler pack. There is a booster and clamp that attach straight to attach nodes so its 100% fit everytime. Removing that airlock is easy by clicking on it and remiving it in the VAB. Also for now use the SAS system to make an orbit.

Press d to orbit? Did I miss the memo?

Anyway downloads are on the first page of this forum post

- - - Updated - - -

@jeast thank you for all the time and effort it helps alot.

Cant wait to test it.

did you convert the wings from control to lifttlift surface.

Also with the drogue chute I did use it in 0.9 but it requires realchutes mod style oof physics so the parachute doesnt dissapear before landing or stopping like the stock one

I shal have it in my next update along with something special too. You will all love it trust me. If I can finish it in time. This coming weekend

Edited by Mike-NZ

So who would like built in drogue chutes? Also if I can get feedback on the new wheels. Too much brake power etc. I know they dont line up 100% yet and the nose wheel goes through the door I will patch this soon.

Also changed the srb sounds in the new bioster pack.

also fixed oms engine fx

So who would like built in drogue chutes? Also if I can get feedback on the new wheels. Too much brake power etc. I know they dont line up 100% yet and the nose wheel goes through the door I will patch this soon.

Also changed the srb sounds in the new bioster pack.

also fixed oms engine fx

Drouge chutes are needed, especially since the landing runway is shorter than the real shuttle landing runway by about a mile. The wheel breaks were a supplementary breaking force as with the tail.

With the featherdynamics, it is hard, but I managed to test the wheels, deceleration is way too high, went from 83 to 0 about half a second, nearly flipped the shuttle over, however, the sounds and animation are accurate. I did see a slight gap between the front attachment fitting, however the shuttle works fine, re-entry is still pointless.

I am coming up with cost values of the parts, I am aiming around 250,000 to 435,000 kredits per launch. This will make the stage recovery and landing at the KSC a major requirement/recommendation to not bank-run the career

Jeast is doing am amazing job with the aerodynamics and should be released soon.

Great job with the realism work on it. So would you recomend stage recovery mod to go with this?

Also wowith the brakes can you adjust the brake torque in the wheels settung in game to find a good value and I can make it the default.

Also I have been asked when and how this should be unlocked in the tech tree. There is no point in unlocking it one part at a time is there?

Also I have been asked when and how this should be unlocked in the tech tree. There is no point in unlocking it one part at a time is there?

Hmmm..

I'm curious as well how that would that be handled.

If you're taking the individual parts route what should open first... boosters?

If you have the one piece installed, I would say this is definitely a late game item.

I know that's how I'm using it.

TBH, I uninstalled it and I'm just keeping track of your updates.

I'm no where near ready to use it anyway in my new career.

This masterpiece is something you have to sweat for!

For a realism game you would start with the Apollo and whatnot with the FASA mod to put up sats n things then get the shuttle and build a space station and send rovers to planets. Would be more of a career thing not so much science and unlocking stuff. ...

Well thats how ive been playing so far.

I was thinking it could unlock silarly to the mk3?

But if its worth waiting for then I can have a look see where I can put it

For a realism game you would start with the Apollo and whatnot with the FASA mod to put up sats n things then get the shuttle and build a space station and send rovers to planets. Would be more of a career thing not so much science and unlocking stuff. ...

Well thats how ive been playing so far.

I was thinking it could unlock silarly to the mk3?

But if its worth waiting for then I can have a look see where I can put it

Exactly^^^

This transports pieces then supplies your space station

it's not a level one item.

I'm not in game now... surprisingly now that it doesn't crash ;)

But yeah, around the MK3 period seems right to me anyway

Yeah, Stage recovery is required for recovering the SRBs, major part of the reusablity.

I will find an acceptable braking speed for shuttles wheels, also I found out that animation needs to run through in less than one second, the wheels should start raised, the shuttle would only deploy them once.

Mostly likely, a new tech tree node would have to be placed, I can dabble with Community Tech Tree to find the right node, dump them into aerospace tech (1000 science), or place them in carefully within the aerodynamics tree and have the forum judge it.

Personally I would opt for a new node, but if that fails, option 3 seems like a fair trade, it allows for the "research process" of the shuttle as the shuttle was actually first conspired by NASA just before Apollo 11 was launched.

So happy to see you helping out so much in this mod! atleast you know when it gets released and your flying it around you will know you were part of it. And so will others.

As for the wheels thanks for the heads up im editing now

Mostly likely, a new tech tree node would have to be placed, I can dabble with Community Tech Tree to find the right node, dump them into aerospace tech (1000 science), or place them in carefully within the aerodynamics tree and have the forum judge it.

Personally I would opt for a new node, but if that fails, option 3 seems like a fair trade, it allows for the "research process" of the shuttle as the shuttle was actually first conspired by NASA just before Apollo 11 was launched.

Please GOD no new nodes!

I'm playing through career now with blank nodes.

Some of them I have to actually spend science to unlock and progress forward with nothing gained

Thanks, I really want to make this succeed.

I have gone through about 5 tests of the brakes from 60 to 10 to 8 to 0 to 140, obviously 0 had no effect, but the other than that, the breaks are overpowered, or what I think is happening that is defaulting to max breaking value when the craft loads.

Also, about the wheels deploying in a second, I was wrong, that was actually the fail-safe mechanism to release the landing gear, as per NASA the landing gear deploys in 10 seconds at no less than 300 knots (154.34 m/s) at 250 feet.

EDIT: Clarity

Edited by TheRag
clarity

Werent the landing gears lowered manually and couldnt go back up because there was no chance of a second landing attempt...

In the cfg I lowered rear brakes from 60 to 15 and the front one to 5 but havent tested it

The Shuttle's landing gear could only be lowered once. If you lowered them there is no chance retracting them. I'm pretty sure they were manual so there wouldn't be any glitches and therefore deployments during re-entry or something.

I say it would be a wonderful addon, it would provide an interesting flair.

Provided that I made the entire STS system cost about \/310,400 Kredits, per launch, still thinking about \/435,000 kredits a launch to be a 1:1000 scale of a low-end of a shuttle cost.

Also, editing CFG to match your breaking values, but no luck, however, I did see there is no breaking speed, so in essence the breaks are acting like steel beams.

Edited by TheRag
Addon

@The Rag. What happens at torque value 1? I think it may be in the other friction values or else I can re edit some more values in there.

Give me an hour and I can get to my pc to edit

... it may bite when landing due to catching on a collision mesh or something

I said this before but I will ask again. Once everyone gives their input you will make a proper download right? I am all for choices and all but a proper download with changes implemented would be really nice. Mainly because to understand the patches on the front page you would have to read the entire thread to see what each one means. A download with proper changes and working fixes should be coming next. People should be able to have a optimal experience right out of the box not mix and match downloads on the front page.

I said this before but I will ask again. Once everyone gives their input you will make a proper download right? I am all for choices and all but a proper download with changes implemented would be really nice. Mainly because to understand the patches on the front page you would have to read the entire thread to see what each one means. A download with proper changes and working fixes should be coming next. People should be able to have a optimal experience right out of the box not mix and match downloads on the front page.

I agree

I agree with sp1989. Having a proper download would make downloading the most recent Shuttle a lot easier and it would make sure everyone has the correct and working parts.

Nope, even at 1 it insta-brakes.

Also on the matter of the shuttles IVA, do you know of anyone who could improve it to look more like this http://photo.sf.co.ua/g/41/3.jpg? My blender skills are horrible, however the IVA definitely needs are total overhaul. I could start a very ambitious blender task, though if you have no-one to revamp the IVA. Consider it already supports RPM, maybe I can expand off that.