Space Shuttle Pack for ksp 1.0.4 dev thread

Mike-NZ

I contacted each of you via PM informing the other of the work being done on this mod.

as I said on his shuttle thread... it makes no sense for 2 talented people working separately on the same mod.

We're a gaming/modding community.

Communities work together for a common cause.

He has mentioned some points that confuse me regarding Unity implementation and if you'd be willing to take on that challenge.

(huh?...whaaa?)

So again, instead of having two talented people either working on the same project separately

or worse....

giving up because the other is doing it

would be a nightmare to the community

His model of the shuttle looks like the one in this mod but he seems to be focusing on that

making it better, faster, stronger

maybe you guys can do something like, idunno, u work on the boosters/tanks he does the shuttle and then you both tweak each others?

(adding the Canadarm for instance)

I'm retired now, but I ran 2 companies once upon a time.

Last thing you wanna do is alienate creative/talented thinkers

TEAMWORK DAMMIT!

....backs away from the podium

I agree it would be devastating to have two threads and models. Teamwork is essential!

Yes. but until we agree to do so I will continue my work.

My next thing to do on this is a 1 piece body option. Just add wheels and engines. Low part count and extra stable.

Any votes for it? Of course ill keep the multiple part version too...

But the thing with that is you wont have the individual parts to get right click menus from. Instead it will be merged toghether

Yes. but until we agree to do so I will continue my work.

My next thing to do on this is a 1 piece body option. Just add wheels and engines. Low part count and extra stable.

Any votes for it? Of course ill keep the multiple part version too...

But the thing with that is you wont have the individual parts to get right click menus from. Instead it will be merged toghether

Excellent choice!

as for the one piece model, I'm all for it, cutting down on the parts count.

I saw no other use for a shuttle upper cone besides, well attaching it to the shuttle lower half

what parts would you need to have right click options for?

Lights on/off and bay doors open/close would be all one would need on a shuttle, am I wrong?

I guess you could have 2 separate folders being they're split anyway giving people the option for pieces or completed.

Unless of course the code get complicated for whichever the user installs.

I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable folks

Edit: if you really want me to get crazy with the suggestions...

If you made it compatible with RPM and clear windows like the Tesla recon rover in the BobCat Ind. mod, I wouldn't care if the damn thing was all pink

:kiss:

Edited by iDisOrder

Thanks for your continued support. Right click for things like toggle for certian parts ie reaction control in tail, science and checking fuel level in tail etc will be all together on one menu.

One folder each will work. I will have the one piece unit use textures from the normal install so it will be a tiny file size in comparison.

I was ready myself to wrap the shuttle in hi res new textures once the basics were done. But I can leave that as an optional addon when I get to it. also canadarm will be ready very soon but will mean the required infernal robotics plugin.

But first and hopefully when I get home ill upload the new landing gear. And have it built into the one piece also if it can

- - - Updated - - -

Yup I can get onto those things too. I need a few days off work lol

Ok I will try to fix the reentry issues (problably offsetting the CoM and CoL a bit). I can also create the cockpit model with RPM. This is going to take a while but I would be happy to do it.

Thew cockpit alread uses rpm. What dont you guys like about the cockpit?

Well its freakin ugly. The hud is unreadable and way off, so unusable. I don't know if you fly IVA but when you do you sure must agree that even the stock pits look way, way better.

About the spin. I am onto something. The Center of lift of the craft file is of to the left. This is why you need a lot of roll and yaw input during launch (or SAS does). The reason for this is the origing of the left control surface is off. You can see this in the config, it needs different node coordinates. I am working on fixing this right now. There also seems to be the same problem with the tail piece. Im going to take a look at this next.

@Jest. thanks HEAPS. your officially part of the DEV team!

although it wont be applied to this exciting new work I have been doing:

one piece shuttle coming together complete with functioning and built in landing gear:

v0IrtM3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

also with the cords, notice one has nodes all at zero and the other to specific numbers... But it depends how it is setup when it was modeled. if it was off centre in the editor it has a different starting point for default node. I will check this and correct if you cant get it to go

Fixed that already. The model origing is off indeed so they offsetted the placement node. I countered this with the CoM and CoL offset.

The shuttle still rolls and yaws during launch so it seems the launch vehicle has some drag that makes it rotate.

@jeast. would you say that because the tank is heavy and wings lift, the tank wants to roll under and the wings lift the orbiter around and above the tank.

you could set the COM closer to the orbiter. but the direction of thrust may pitch it around....

or put a big amount of reaction wheel power in the tank

- - - Updated - - -

Update: cargobay doors now open one at a time...

No I dont think so. When launching you have to use minor roll and yaw to keep the shuttle going straight. You can see it in the down left corner when SAS is engaged. Not a real problem as long as you use SAS but without it or when flying with a joystick the launch itself is pretty hard.

Im still working on the configs to get the reentry right. I think it has to do with the mass/drag relation. Probably that of the wings. Ill keep you posted. Maybe we have to end up increasing the reaction wheel torque.

I really wish I had more time this week and I did say I will have upupdates for the last 2 days but I havent Got to it. However I completed the landing gear and the one piece body is done. just needs some attach nodes. This thing will be perfectly symmetrical and strong and better than before hopefully. And it will be much easier to tune and technically fly.

And so after that im starting the transparent cockpit windows for those who want it.

Not sure why this happens but my shuttle seems to lose control during ascent. The ascent goes normally until about 8000 meters. Around that time, the highly annoying and sometimes destructive bug occurs where the launch clamps you used (stock or FASA) are spawned and released behind you. When this occurs with the Shuttle, the camera seems to detach itself from the Shuttle and the Shuttle begins to roll and yaw out of control slowly. The problem gets progressively worse each time the launch clamps are spawn, to the point where the Shuttle spins itself out of control and with no possibility for recovery. I'm not sure why this happens and if this happens to anyone else. I use the stock aerodynamics. Sorry if I couldn't explain what is happening very well.

Dnaha, First off welcome to the forums. The launch clamp bug is a stock bug that only the KSP Devs can fix. The best thing you can do is make sure your clamps are as low on the ship as possible. Also don't use the FASA clamps

Thanks for the welcome.:D I tried launching the Shuttle even without clamps and the problem still occurred, as if I still had clamps on my vessel. Do you think the problem could be something else? I really want to be able to use the Shuttle its one of my favorite mods for KSP.

It seems it is a problem with FASA according to some people. Remove them from your shuttle in the VAB. Then save, exit, and remove the FASA folder from gamedata in your ksp directory. See if that fixes it. If not then try rebuild your ship instead of loading it in the VAB. Also this has happened in a clean install but ive only experienced it with fasa clamps

- - - Updated - - -

@jeast. The mass drag issue could be part of it. I think I did raise it a lol in the rear to keep the front facing forward. or else its the wings trying to gwt above COM or the thrust pitches it a bit and it pivots on a diagonal angale.

I have the wheel release today and im hoping also for the one piece orbiter too. And if time then an aero update and external tank textures and the new functional booster seperator.

Is Squad aware of the launch clamp bug?

If they are, what they need to address first is this damn 32 bit 4GB memory cap first.

I'm loading more than I'm playing:

7O3a2gu.jpg

I will not give up my mods dammit!!!

:D