Fiction Accumulation Syndrome

NovaSilisko

FrankenRama update: The splint on the spine has worked excellently, just not prettily. It's probably sturdier now than it was when it was manufactured, although it's kind of stiff because of it. Still. It's a book again. Corrugated cardboard with the corrugations aligned perpendicularly to the spine, and then the whole thing was saturated with glue before it was allowed to dry. It's completely solid.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/tS05p8W.jpg[/img]

For the next step, I need three things:

1. A ribbon (for a ribbon bookmark, can't not have a ribbon bookmark when making a book)
2. Colored paper to later affix to the cover
3. Cardstock to affix the colored paper to the splint

Possibly four things, if I include some sort of patch to cover the ugly ends of the splint... After that I need to get some faux leather or something with which I can wrap the cover boards with. Edited by NovaSilisko

Umm well... I used to read a lot and my wife well... an easy 500 + and... ummm still growing...

On a side note a friend once asked if I ever re-read a book and I said yes all the time and they asked why.
My answer was do you ever watch the same movie/ tv episode more then once ? Edited by Korizan

FrankenRama as it currently exists. It's a bit funky and lumpy due to uneven glue drying but that will all be hidden once the cover's on. The old backing boards are going to be too short due to the added width of the book thanks to the splint, so I need to get some new chipboard for it...

[img]http://i.imgur.com/2SgIqNi.png[/img]

[quote name='NovaSilisko']Oh, I dunno about that. Sometimes I reorganize the whole shelf for fun. Doesn't necessarily mean I have to be tidy about it... :P[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure OCD is when it starts to be a problem...

Also, it usually involves repeated activities and having to complete things when you start them. I have to finish sentences when I start reading them, and I also wash my hands repeatedly, open and close doors repeatedly... but it's mostly mild.

[quote name='Bill Phil']having to complete things when you start them[/QUOTE]

Well, that's not a problem for me at least...

There are lots of little things though, but I won't go into them here.

Anyway, I think I'm also going to be rebuilding a copy of The Andromeda Strain, just a pocketbook sized paperback which fell apart. I'll make it a miniature hardback while I'm at it. Need to get the old glue off first, though.

[quote name='Bill Phil']Rebuilding books seems pretty cool....[/QUOTE]

It's actually a lot easier than I thought it would be (I have damned myself with these words). Youtube's littered with video tutorials on how to do it in various ways. It's just a matter of some clean, careful cutting, and lots of glue. I enjoy it quite a bit.

[quote name='NovaSilisko']It's actually a lot easier than I thought it would be (I have damned myself with these words). Youtube's littered with video tutorials on how to do it in various ways. It's just a matter of some clean, careful cutting, and lots of glue. I enjoy it quite a bit.[/QUOTE]

My ex-wife used to volunteer at the library. She said repairing books was the most fun she had there. :)

Bookifying is something I've been wanting to do for a while. I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

I have some printed out magazines I would like to bundle in book-form.
Though because of the way those are printed, it would have to be the glueing method.

[quote name='T-Bouw']Bookifying is something I've been wanting to do for a while. I haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

I have some printed out magazines I would like to bundle in book-form.
Though because of the way those are printed, it would have to be the glueing method.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised at just how strong simple glue ends up being. It helps strength a lot also if you carve notches into the spine edge of the pages for glue to seep into and generally rough up that end.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/XpfNZjs.jpg[/img]

Need to sand off the green edging and put some sort of TOP SECRET or EYES ONLY stamp on the front, and maybe see if I can add a piece of packing twine for a bookmark, but the main work is done. Decided to do The Andromeda Strain first because 1. I had the materials to do this idea and 2. I didn't want to screw up Rama forever

Hmmmm... not seeing my favorite author mentioned. Have to change this.... bwaahahaha

My greatest score at a used book sale.... a library used and old book sale, ironically enough... was a set of all three Arkham House hardback books of H.P. Lovecraft's works. I was floored, and almost broke out giggling I was so happy!!!

He's more horror than Sci-fi, but arguably the best author of the 20th century. Both Steven King and Clive Barker tribute Lovecraft as the grand master. Most everyone that's read Lovecraft will tell you the same, he's the best.

If you ever see anything by Lovecraft, do not think twice, buy it on the spot.
Cthulhu demands it!!!! hehehe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.