"Duna, Ore Bust!" -- a KSP Graphic Novel (COMPLETE)

Bravo! Nice save!

I do suggest, however, that upon return to Kerbin, aerocapture be approached with much caution, avoided altogether if possible. 1.0.4 doesn't like them at all. And perhaps sending up a rocket to retrieve the crew from orbit would be better than trying to land.

Nice piloting!

Way to pull it out. Kudos to Jeb!

Will we see any more before you go?

If not, then...

Damn Darn, I won't get to see any more until I'm back from vacation in mid-July.

Have a great vacation, Kuzzter!

Happy landings!

The care you take in picking facial expressions adds so much to the story.

Thank you! It can be a real challenge sometimes. For example Val is always smiling even when I need her to be furious, like right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought for sure the old hummlebee would lose a wing there, Jeb defies fate again!

Also, is that a Kim Stanley Robinson reference I spy? Well done indeed sir, well done indeed.

Oh my, yes. That altitude really was 6m measured from amidships, so the wingtip had to be within two. If I'd been standing on that hill it would've scalped me.

Never read KSR, so any reference unintentional.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome story, great presentation! Enjoy your vacation, but please promise to continue when you're back.

Thank you! I may get some more in before we go, but in any case yes of course this will continue. I have big plans!

- - - Updated - - -

I do suggest, however, that upon return to Kerbin, aerocapture be approached with much caution, avoided altogether if possible. 1.0.4 doesn't like them at all. And perhaps sending up a rocket to retrieve the crew from orbit would be better than trying to land.

I'm hoping another 'disturbance' fixes things before that comes up. If not, Bill may be editing some config files.

- - - Updated - - -

Will we see any more before you go?

If not, then...

Damn Darn, I won't get to see any more until I'm back from vacation in mid-July.

Have a great vacation, Kuzzter!

Thanks! I think you will see 2-4 more pages before I leave. I thought I would finish the book but 1.0.4 set me back a bit. Stay tuned, and thanks everyone for reading!

I'm hoping another 'disturbance' fixes things before that comes up. If not, Bill may be editing some config files.

I don't even begin to know in the least how the heat system "works" (heavy irony) now that thsy've split it up into core and skin values. It might instead work better just to tweak (as in essentially disable) the heat difficulty value in the saved game file.

In the presistent file, up at the top there's a section called "PARAMETERS". The 5th block down in that is "DIFFICULTY". The last line in that is "ReentryHeatScale", which is a decimal percentage. So 100% = 1.0, 10% = 0.1, etc.

I don't even begin to know in the least how the heat system "works" (heavy irony) now that thsy've split it up into core and skin values.

I certainly don't know the whole score, but I've heard what's killing ships is that there is a certain Reynolds number equivalent at which airflow goes from laminar flow to turbulent, and that once you cross that boundary--well, boom. So, if by the time I return from vacation (hint: it's a place where tout le monde parlent comme Clauselle...) the model has not been fixed, I will try to restore order by upping the turbulent heat transfer threshold beyond practical entry velocities.

I certainly don't know the whole score, but I've heard what's killing ships is that there is a certain Reynolds number equivalent at which airflow goes from laminar flow to turbulent, and that once you cross that boundary--well, boom. So, if by the time I return from vacation (hint: it's a place where tout le monde parlent comme Clauselle...) the model has not been fixed, I will try to restore order by upping the turbulent heat transfer threshold beyond practical entry velocities.

I hold little hope of KSP's aero/heat systems ever being "fixed" short of imposing RSS as stock. Due to the toy size of the game, you can't force it to act like Earth in one place and use the same system everywhere else without having bad things happen. Everybody just needs to accept that KSP is in a different universe so "realism" does NOT equal "just like Earth" and quit trying to make it so.

But anyway, on a more pleasant note, they make some good beer up where you're going. I particularly like "La Fin du Monde" and "Maudite" from Unibroue.

And they survived! Ah, the tailfin! Ah, the rudder! (Really, it ain't a flight simulation game without the rudder :D). Though I wonder: do you plan to recover the Humblebee in Kerbin atmo? (Or will there be a config tweak on the way home by Bill so she lands straight?)

Have fun on vacation! :)

EDIT: Checked the previous posts--yah, if it comes to it, Bill will be tweaking. :)

Edited by B-STRK

I hold little hope of KSP's aero/heat systems ever being "fixed" short of imposing RSS as stock. Due to the toy size of the game, you can't force it to act like Earth in one place and use the same system everywhere else without having bad things happen. Everybody just needs to accept that KSP is in a different universe so "realism" does NOT equal "just like Earth" and quit trying to make it so.

But anyway, on a more pleasant note, they make some good beer up where you're going. I particularly like "La Fin du Monde" and "Maudite" from Unibroue.

Good points on scale--people often forget that. Oh, and I'm not going where they make the beer; I'm going where they make the wine--Rouen, Honfleur, a week in Paris, then finishing up along the Loire.

- - - Updated - - -

And they survived! Ah, the tailfin! Ah, the rudder! (Really, it ain't a flight simulation game without the rudder :D). Though I wonder: do you plan to recover the Humblebee in Kerbin atmo? (Or will there be a config tweak on the way home by Bill so she lands straight?)

EDIT: Checked the previous posts--yah, if it comes to it, Bill will be tweaking. :)

Indeed, I have a whole re-entry and landing sequence in my head that would be ruined with a less interesting pickup. We will be using the rudder, ailerons, elevators, and everything else to get back to KSC!

Two more pages this morning--the 100th and 101st since we began this adventure together :)

J3sq902.png

ANBqMGJ.png

Hibernate and wait for rescue in Solar Orbit? Even for a scientist it's kinda dumb proposition.

She's had a rough couple of pages, I'd cut her some slack :)

- - - Updated - - -

Whelp, We had Duna, we had Ore, and now we almost had Bust. What's next, kuzzter?

Ike, of course, for yet MORE ore! Then the Eve book, which will start appearing in a new thread once Hummlebee is on its way back to Kerbin.

Too much fun. Val is great!

Ike, of course, for yet MORE ore! Then the Eve book, which will start appearing in a new thread once Hummlebee is on its way back to Kerbin.

A perfect natural cliffhanger. We don't get to see if the Hummlebee can make reentry in the new aero until after the Eve mission gets going.

Beautiful!

Happy landings!

I'm going where they make the wine--Rouen, Honfleur, a week in Paris, then finishing up along the Loire.

Bon voyage, et laissez les bons temps rouler ;).

Two more pages this morning--the 100th and 101st since we began this adventure together :)

I love making "massé shots" like that :). Geez, I didn't realize there were so many pages already. You really need to syndicate this in the Sunday papers :)

That's clever! Landing on Ike is easier and I bet Ike holds some yummy resource veins… Also, getting interplanetary from Ike should be easier. Wish you luck with this, and don't crash!

Thanks Zentro! Had time for just a few more pages...

rmQ3NEY.png

hqrbtB8.png

45IIT32.png

...yep, another no-fuel landing. Don't worry, I'm not going to leave you hanging; they're all fine and mining Ike, I just didn't get enough good screenshots yet to do the next page. Hopefully the landing bumps knocked the lift back into the port-side wing!

And with that I bid you all au revoir, I'll be back home on the 15th and updates will likely continue later that week.

Edited by Kuzzter

So what are your plans for Bastille Day? Join the party with the locals or watch the Pluto encounter? :D

We're driving a couple hours to CDG on the 14th and flying out at night; may be able to catch some celebrations en route, and if we're very lucky maybe we'll be able to see fireworks over the city as we depart...I might have liked to stay an extra day and watch the parade but that won't work out unfortunately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.