[PRIVATE TESTING][1.0.2]Project ROCK: Rebirth of Civilization Kerbal[v0.05 28/05]

MatterBeam

I'm currently spending a lot of time writing up contracts.

In the meantime, riddle me this:

I want players to build bases around the necessary mining operations that handle this project's preferred life support system (USI Life Support). However, the USI Kolonisation Modules are pretty complex, don't fit very well with the ROCK theme and cost a lot in terms of development to fit them in. Look at the Machinery mechanic, the various resources (Polymers, Exotic Minerals...) and their unwieldy size... I'd have to move parts I had intended for high-end use (Large cargo bays, huge rockets ect.) much earlier in the tree to allow the player to lift these Kolonization modules to other worlds.

-Should I try to find a way to 'slim down' the USI Kolonisation pack into the parts that fit well with the ROCK theme and require the least rebalancing? Might be the easiest option, but could end up being completely non-functional.

-Repurpose 'left-over' parts to as custom ROCK colonization modules. These includes a Greenhouse part, a Life support ISRU and a recycler, and nothing else. Simple to accomplish, easy to balance but might leave the players wanting 'more'. I mean those complicated, laggy inflatable greenhouses are still damn pretty after all.

Tell me what you think so that I can mull over it. If it helps to get conversation going, I can set up a poll.

I suggested few days ago to have more inflatable parts. Probably with the upgrade of KSP to Unity 5 we will have it. Inflatables will be great for Kolonozation. Try to think something like OKS. Btw, there is another WIP mod about modular bases, less complex than MKS but equally suggesting.

I suggested few days ago to have more inflatable parts. Probably with the upgrade of KSP to Unity 5 we will have it. Inflatables will be great for Kolonozation. Try to think something like OKS. Btw, there is another WIP mod about modular bases, less complex than MKS but equally suggesting.

Are you mentioning the 'space camping' parts pack from the Multi-Modular Colonization Modules (MCM)?

Personally, I cannot make inflatable modules. Also, without the need for living space to increase the productivity of extra-planetary launchpads, the inflatable habitats would be simply aesthetic.

Currently, I'm thinking of creating a simple 'stock-alike' loop for ISRU, involving one drill that mines for Ore, one ISRU converter that converts Ore into Liquidfuel and Oxidizer, one ISRU converter that converts Ore into Organics and one Greenhouse module that converts Organics into Supplies. The Kerbals produce mulch, this can be converted into organics by the second ISRU.

So, parts list:

-Drill (stock)(extracts Ore)

-ISRU Converter (stock)(converts Ore into LF/Ox/Mono)

-Ore Holding tank (custom)(carries Ore)

and

-ISRU Converter (custom)(converts Ore or Mulch into Organics)(uses same model as stock ISRU converter, maybe recoloured)

-Greenhouse (custom)(converts Organics or Mulch into Supplies)*(uses PPD-10 Hitchhiker model, recoloured)

-Life Support tank (carries Mulch or Organics)(Uses Ore Holding tank model, recoloured)

*=It has 90% efficiency when converting from Organics into Supplies. Using Mulch instead has lower efficiency (about 50%) so that it gives the player the option to prolong their interplanetary missions with the addition of a Greenhouse and nothing else (saving weight) or by adding an ISRU Converter (heavy) that converts Mulch into organics first. On short missions, a crew cabin and Supplies are enough. For longer missions, where the weight of supplies becomes significant, the Greenhouse can recycle Mulch for 50% extra mission duration. For even longer missions (space stations in orbit, ect), the addition of an ISRU Converter can nearly double mission duration.

Advantages: No new models, small textures, simple to understand (add Greenhouse, Converter, no complicated resource loops) and easy to implement. 100% control over their balance. Project-ROCK feeling maintained, no pressure on me to move heavy rockets into early branches...

Disadvantages: Some people like the MKS a lot. Some people like complicated resource loops or TAC Life Support. I also have to balance the USI Life Support's consumption rates so that for reasonable mission durations, adding a Greenhouse module is a good choice. Currently, 3 kerbals and a 2.5m Supplies tank lasts long enough to do the Kerbin-Jool transfer twice and then some.

One solution I have thought of is creating a Module Manager patch that changes the techtree based on whether the player decides to use ROCK colonization or MKS modules.

Right now, I have an 'Offworld' branch the gives the player quick and cheap access to colonization modules necessary for setting up a mining base. With ROCK colonization, the player can create short-term colonies where kerbals can reside for a few years before returning back home. The upgrade allows for permanent stations. What I can do is create a Module Manager patch that, if it detects MKS, can hide my parts and assign MKS modules to the correct nodes.

No, I means this one: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/122484-WIP-1-0-2-Pathfinder-Move-in-Find-the-right-spot-Move-on

I didn't suggest you to make inflatables, just something that probably will happen in the future.

The patch for MKS it's a good idea. Personally I don't use MKS, every base it's too much similar and it's very complex too. I like the short term bases idea.

No, I means this one: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/122484-WIP-1-0-2-Pathfinder-Move-in-Find-the-right-spot-Move-on

I didn't suggest you to make inflatables, just something that probably will happen in the future.

The patch for MKS it's a good idea. Personally I don't use MKS, every base it's too much similar and it's very complex too. I like the short term bases idea.

I guess, once I'm done with the 'core' ROCK game, I'm going to be spending a lot of time creating compatibility files with other mods.

Beautiful tree! How much Science is needed for a complete unlock?

Thank you!

I think it's about... 4725? Much less than stock. However, it's balanced for ROCK: normalized science return from other planets, step-by-step science rewards from storyline missions, reduced ability to spam fuel-expensive interplanetary missions and biome hoppers and the absence of randomly-generated contracts.

In about 15 minutes of gameplay, you can start building heavy SSTOs, in about an hour, you can launch 2.5m rockets carrying offworld mining colonies. The tech tree really isn't 'restrictive'.

A few updates:

-Getting storyline missions to work is actually pretty hard due to the way the contracts are built: they're supposed to be randomly generated missions, taken from a pool of possible configurations. Forcing them to appear rigidly one after the other is something that requires a bit more research.

-To compensate for the above, I've decided on trimming the stock contracts to fit into the general theme and Rock setting, and let them be randomly generated as normal.

-Finished a round of testing, time for rebalancing, hence the 0.04 version.

-Also, I cleaned up the opening post a bit: Removed MKS as a dependency, shuffled around the WIPs and so on.

I've been silently following this, as it's incredibly close to something I was actually planning myself. That is, except my idea had more of a star-system theme aimed at escaping the solar system and repopulating on a new planet around another star. Good to see you've had the patience to see it through so far, hopefully the work continues :wink:

I've been silently following this, as it's incredibly close to something I was actually planning myself. That is, except my idea had more of a star-system theme aimed at escaping the solar system and repopulating on a new planet around another star. Good to see you've had the patience to see it through so far, hopefully the work continues :wink:

I've found that the best ideas are never really original. If it wasn't me, it would have been somebody else. The project grew out of a desire to create a resource management strategy game out of the stock KSP, then I built a setting around it.

I see you're the creator of New Horizons. I really liked it when I tried it, but found it too small to my liking (I usually play RSS career) to enjoy it to the maximum. Good luck with it, though, it's one of the more refreshing system mods (most others just resize the stock system to various scales).

i know how you feel about the size...been helping bug fix a couple rescale mods, and now I'm in a hurry now to get rescale configs ready, it just feels so much nicer in a large-scale system :D

but yeah hopefully this keeps going well for you dude, as it's sounding better and better as time goes on!

i know how you feel about the size...been helping bug fix a couple rescale mods, and now I'm in a hurry now to get rescale configs ready, it just feels so much nicer in a large-scale system :D

but yeah hopefully this keeps going well for you dude, as it's sounding better and better as time goes on!

Thanks for the support!

Update:

Finished setting up the custom missions.

Tweaked the first tech tree node to cost zero science.

Managed to get the custom resource costs to work by directly supplying my own version of the Resources_Generic file, while keeping a ResourcesGenericOriginal.cfg if the player wishes to uninstall.

Modified the USILIfeSupport resource cost and density. The original balance was too easy.

We're safely past 50% of the project!

Next up!:

-Rock Colonisation modules.

-Popup menus.

Oh, custom popup texts didn't take long.

Major props to simon56modder and the mod posted here.

I should be done with the Rock Colonization parts in a few hours, so I think it's time to ask for Testers.

You can PM me for testing, since I cannot widely distribute the mod dependencies until I obtain their licenses and permissions.

Edited by TruthQuark

Wow this is really awesome! Its time to get really efficient. Will the solid fuel be expensive too? Because I dont think boosters can be refueled, and refining it is also impossible.. Also, good luck with the rest of the project

This looks pretty neat.

Never mind.

As soon as I get a reasonable balance ready, it'll go into Public Testing, with a dev build available for download.

UPDATE:

-Rebalanced the cost of all resources to make recovering Ore from the Mun a worthwhile endeavor.

-Currently trying to integrate a simplified, slimmed down version of Extraplanetary Launchpads into ROCK.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.