[1.0.4][Kopernicus]Alternis Kerbol Reloaded - a revival of the owersome Alternis Kerbol mod.

amarius1

Hey amarius!

The original Alternis was awesome and I wanted it back so much. I saw how easy it is to modify the kerbol system now and fixed/cleaned up/changed your configuration files...

Also, I think that Gilly was not a comet but a catched asteroid in Kerbins SOI. I might be wrong...but it gives new players a good goal for first Kerbin SOI missions... (like the Mun in stock KSP).

Anyway, here are the changes I did to Alternis Kerbol (basicly changing your changes... yo dawg):

• cleaned up config files (proper usage of tabs, spaces and line-breaks, aligned equal signs in consecutive lines, unified content for a better overview)
  • removed unecessary entries in configs (for example if a radius in the file is the same as in the game)
  • changed Bops radius back to normal, density of the planet would be pretty low... (also lower terrain resolution)
  • changed Eves radius back to normal, 8km in radius makes no big difference and will only lower resolution of the terrain
  • changed inclination of Pol to 87.69° to make it a bit more interesting (I know this was not in Alternis...but this is Alternis Kerbol RELOADED, some changes should be okay I guess?)
  • moved Gilly completely: ref. Body: Kerbin / GeeASL: 0.06 / mass: 3.36E+17 (a bit heavier for a bigger SOI (10km) / SMA of 12000km / inclination of 13.37° (:P) - basicly a small outpost around Kerbin
  • added/changed description of Ike, Mun, Gilly, Jool, Tylo

I changed all that mostly for myself but use the new configuration files as you please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92zk3oea83flkyb/AlternisKerbol-BytersEdit.zip?dl=0

You do not have to use it, but you know what to do when you do :P

Thanks again for your work and reviving Alternis Kerbol.

Also, praise our lord GabeN! Steam Summer Sale. Wohoo :D

//EDIT: Just noticed, Gilly with 9km radius does not work. You clip through. I set it back to 13km in my game and will test it now.

//EDIT2: It has nothing to do with the radius - the SoI was simply too small. Increasing the mass to something impossible fixes this... :P (by increasing G)

//EDIT3: Kinda fixed it... 10km radius at 1E+19kg. this results in 0.6*G.

Edited by Byter

@Byter: there were two versions of Gilly in original Alternis. One was a comet and another was orbiting Kerbin. The one around Kerbin was more buggy IIRC. I prefered it as a comet tbh.

@Amarius: any plans to implement the same lightning system Nova used in his version? The one without ambient light in space. I remember it being way smoother and with even more FPS than the stock game.

@Byter: there were two versions of Gilly in original Alternis. One was a comet and another was orbiting Kerbin. The one around Kerbin was more buggy IIRC. I prefered it as a comet tbh.

@Amarius: any plans to implement the same lightning system Nova used in his version? The one without ambient light in space. I remember it being way smoother and with even more FPS than the stock game.

well, you mean the thing Distant Object does with the skybox? I don't think I can, but I can change sun's color and lightning. cheers! Also, you should wit at least two weeks until I finish off with my exams keeping me from coding.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey amarius!

The original Alternis was awesome and I wanted it back so much. I saw how easy it is to modify the kerbol system now and fixed/cleaned up/changed your configuration files...

Also, I think that Gilly was not a comet but a catched asteroid in Kerbins SOI. I might be wrong...but it gives new players a good goal for first Kerbin SOI missions... (like the Mun in stock KSP).

Anyway, here are the changes I did to Alternis Kerbol (basicly changing your changes... yo dawg):

• cleaned up config files (proper usage of tabs, spaces and line-breaks, aligned equal signs in consecutive lines, unified content for a better overview)
  • removed unecessary entries in configs (for example if a radius in the file is the same as in the game)
  • changed Bops radius back to normal, density of the planet would be pretty low... (also lower terrain resolution)
  • changed Eves radius back to normal, 8km in radius makes no big difference and will only lower resolution of the terrain
  • changed inclination of Pol to 87.69° to make it a bit more interesting (I know this was not in Alternis...but this is Alternis Kerbol RELOADED, some changes should be okay I guess?)
  • moved Gilly completely: ref. Body: Kerbin / GeeASL: 0.06 / mass: 3.36E+17 (a bit heavier for a bigger SOI (10km) / SMA of 12000km / inclination of 13.37° (:P) - basicly a small outpost around Kerbin
  • added/changed description of Ike, Mun, Gilly, Jool, Tylo

I changed all that mostly for myself but use the new configuration files as you please.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92zk3oea83flkyb/AlternisKerbol-BytersEdit.zip?dl=0

You do not have to use it, but you know what to do when you do :P

Thanks again for your work and reviving Alternis Kerbol.

Also, praise our lord GabeN! Steam Summer Sale. Wohoo :D

//EDIT: Just noticed, Gilly with 9km radius does not work. You clip through. I set it back to 13km in my game and will test it now.

//EDIT2: It has nothing to do with the radius - the SoI was simply too small. Increasing the mass to something impossible fixes this... :P (by increasing G)

//EDIT3: Kinda fixed it... 10km radius at 1E+19kg. this results in 0.6*G.

Heh, thank you! Just wait, because I have to finish my exams in two weeks and then I'll be super-coder mode. Cheers!

well, you mean the thing Distant Object does with the skybox? I don't think I can, but I can change sun's color and lightning. cheers! Also, you should wit at least two weeks until I finish off with my exams keeping me from coding.

No, no, no. Nova in his Alternis version got rid of ambient light in space. Basically if you were on the dark side of planet it would be pitch black, unlike in stock game where you can see the spacecraft even when there's no light source shining on it.

No, no, no. Nova in his Alternis version got rid of ambient light in space. Basically if you were on the dark side of planet it would be pitch black, unlike in stock game where you can see the spacecraft even when there's no light source shining on it.

heh, wont's be able to do that either... All I do is mess with planets. Can't modify certain core aspects of the game without a plugin.

Wanted to report a bug that unfortunately made me drop this mod (I must apologize). Or maybe it's an incompatibility with the newer versions of ModuleManager? IDK.

Anyways, Gilly's and Ike's orbits are nowhere near as eccentric as they were in the original and Tylo has its stock asl gravity.

• 2 weeks later...

Not compatible with career mode. Hold on a bit, because I'm restarting work on this in about two days. I have a development cycle that consists of very few hours so most of them are used for Kerbol Plus, the next for Astro's and last but not least for Alternis. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I prefer New Horizons myself, but this is good too, especially for anyone who has RAM issues with NH. I may incorporate the Duna into my system though, it looks really great in the pics.

It's a neat thing to have, but really something for another mod I feel.

It's a neat thing to have, but really something for another mod I feel.

PlanetShine mod allows you to customize ambient light, both in space and on the surface. It doesn't need to be added to this mod specifically.

Edited by Cetera
typo

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry people, I don't have enought time for this as I barely have a bit to work on my main mod, Kerbol Plus. Development restarts in one month!

I might take this over for you if you are okay with that. I'm not too far into getting it to work, but it would be a nice project to get me into the planetary modding stuffs.

Do you have any idea why the textures are not working for the PQS space? The mod is essentially worthless if the planets are only changed in scaledspace.

Edited by GregroxMun

I might take this over for you if you are okay with that. I'm not too far into getting it to work, but it would be a nice project to get me into the planetary modding stuffs.

Do you have any idea why the textures are not working for the PQS space? The mod is essentially worthless if the planets are only changed in scaledspace.

Actualy I'd be okay with it, but you only mentain it until I finish my main mod.

I have no Idea why fhe PQS view is different even trough in the configs the textures should also be changed.

Right now releasing a small compatibility update:

Fixed PQS view

Updated to KSP 1.0.4

Added procedural clouds for Jool

Added procedural comet trail for Ike

Made Ike a comet

Gilly now orbits Kerbin

Download: https://github.com/Amarius1/Alternis-Kerbol-Reloaded/releases/download/v.1.5/Alternis.Kerbol.zip

But Gilly never orbited Kerbin. Gilly was a comet. A tinyified Bop orbited Kerbin as a small optional bonus feature.

Additionally, you didn't fix Duna. It's scaledspace heightmap is stock Duna's, Tylo's normal map is incorrect, Duna is the wrong shade in scaledspace and an even wronger shade in PQS. Duna also doesn't line up with its scaledspace version.

You can't just release something half-done. I released my Alternis when I did because it was stable, even if it wasn't completed. But it was playable. No major bugs graphically or playability wise. I'm not going to build a planet and release it when its not finished, I have to make sure that everything about it works first, then release it.

Edited by GregroxMun

But Gilly never orbited Kerbin. Gilly was a comet. A tinyified Bop orbited Kerbin as a small optional bonus feature.

Additionally, you didn't fix Duna. It's scaledspace heightmap is stock Duna's, Tylo's normal map is incorrect, Duna is the wrong shade in scaledspace and an even wronger shade in PQS. Duna also doesn't line up with its scaledspace version.

You can't just release something half-done. I released my Alternis when I did because it was stable, even if it wasn't completed. But it was playable. No major bugs graphically or playability wise. I'm not going to build a planet and release it when its not finished, I have to make sure that everything about it works first, then release it.

Yeah sorry... I suppose the lighting bugs all come from the incorect transparency on the normal maps, as some of those actualy come from the kriginal alternis. Will fix tomorow.

Scaled space height maps don't exist. It is called normal map.

...Is it possible to land on Gilly? I don't even mean "It's really hard", I mean, I'm pretty sure it's literally impossible. It seems like the SoI is smaller than itself, which means you hit the surface before you enter the SoI... which means it doesn't load, you clip into the center, and explode. A little frustrated I spent so much time getting a literal impact trajectory from LKO only to find you can't actually land on it.

http://imgur.com/23oxZ6r

^ Me on an orbit passing through the surface while not in the SoI

Edited by lemondegrasse

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.