Crescent Bay Biome On Laythe Confirmed

Lime

Hi i just found some evidence for the crescent bay biome on laythe.

If you look at the ore.cfg file you can find this.

BIOME_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = Ore

ResourceType = 0

PlanetName = Laythe

BiomeName = Crescent Bay

Distribution

{

PresenceChance = 0

MinAbundance = 0

MaxAbundance = 0

Variance = 0

Dispersal = 0

}

}

This is proof of the legendary crescent bay biome.

Edited by Lime

Distribution

{

PresenceChance = 0

MinAbundance = 0

MaxAbundance = 0

Variance = 0

Dispersal = 0

}

}

There's the problem. It says it doesn't exist in the game anymore, too bad though...

Have you even looked in the ore.cfg file. The Sagen Sea biome has the same stats.

Yeah, all that means is that there is zero ore in the oceans of any planet: Eve, Kerbin, or Laythe. Also no ore in the sun or Jool at all.

Everyone in the ksp history has said that.

I can honestly say I have never said that or anything else about any putative Crescent Bay biome. It's the first time I've even heard it mentioned, as far as I know.

OK, I give up. I can't find Crescent Bay in this version of KSP, either.

I know it was there in Custom Biomes, before that got made stock a few versions back, so apparently it was lost in translation.

This sounds like the culprit to me.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone actually found this biome? I'm about to do a survey of Laythe and want to know roughly where I should be looking, biome borders maybe?

Any info would be appreciated..

These days, Laythe only has 4 biomes: Pole, Sagan Sea, Shore, and Dunes.

I've noticed that in 1.x, most planets seem to have fewer biomes than they did in 0.9. Duna, for instance, now only has 4: Poles, highlands, midlands, and lowlands. IIRC, even after Custom Biomes became stock, several of Duna's large craters and basins had their own names.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the new Ore resource system. Because this is based on biomes, and because concentrations are randomized each game, it's easier on the players to have fewer, more generic and wide-spread biomes than to have lots of small, local biomes. That way, you're not screwed by having the only good patch of ore stuck in some small, high-latitude crater, but can set up your mines anywhere within the vast expanse of a planet-wide biome.

I've noticed that in 1.x, most planets seem to have fewer biomes than they did in 0.9. Duna, for instance, now only has 4: Poles, highlands, midlands, and lowlands. IIRC, even after Custom Biomes became stock, several of Duna's large craters and basins had their own names.

No, there were no changes to biomes in 1.x, Custom Biomes never became stock, and Duna has always had that limited set of biomes (which I understand was more of a placeholder, but for various reasons wasn't updated in 1.0).

The "hidden" biomes are just those for which there is a definition in a planet's internal list of biomes but that doesn't actually have anywhere on the biome map marked for it. Places where you can find these biomes are at the borders between two other biomes, where the colors on the biome map blend together.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.