Are landing legs supposed to sink into the ground?

I landed on Duna and saw that my landing legs sank into then group a bit. Not very much but right above the feet of the landing legs. Is this supposed to happen?

Edited by Dspan_000

Not sure whether it's "supposed" to happen, but yeah, it's pretty common. Been doing that since forever.

It seems to be mainly just cosmetic, at least in my experience; I've never had a problem with any physical consequences such as a craft tipping or whatever.

In my experience, it's a hint that you put too much strain on the gear: either came down too fast or just don't have enough legs to hold the vessel. Sunk legs have a decent chance of being stuck to the ground, giving you some tilt when you lift off.

Putting on enough legs so the sinking won't happen means one heavy-duty leg for every 6-8t of weight (mind the local gravity). Properly holding up a lander on Eve or Tylo requires an insane number of legs. The stickyness usually isn't a problem, the sunk appearance merely cosmetic, so most people don't use "enough" legs and accept that they may sink in: you can get away with something like one leg per 15t or more until they break.

For the newbies among us: "breaking" doesn't mean that they fall off. It only means that their suspension becomes stuck in an mostly-extended state. As a landing gear, they still work as well (or badly) as any rigid structural piece.

If you don't mind the looks, airplane landing gear outperforms legs in every way: holds up near infinite weight, doesn't break, and doesn't stick to the ground.

Edited by Laie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.