Planes Showcase: SHOW OF YOUR SPACE/ATMOSPHERIC PLANES!

Should we do mod craft or stock craft (mainly)?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should we do mod craft or stock craft (mainly)?

• Mod!
    • Stock!

Since building atmosphere-only planes is basically all I do these days, I'm really glad we got a showcase so I could show some of them off! I've been working on a small fleet of recreational aircraft, and I've hit on some really neat designs.

jyKt3ye.png,

First up, the Samosa. It's a flying wing-type aircraft b̶l̶a̶t̶a̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶l̶e̶n inspired by another forum-goer. It was just about the first plane I built in 1.0, when I was still getting a hang of the new aerodynamics, and it shows. It flies okay, but it's nothing spectacular. She turns wide and slow, takeoff and landing can be a bit janky, and just barely makes it over the sound barrier. Fun for cruising around mountains at low altitudes.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Next up, an original craft: the Vindaloo. It's a hypersonic jet which can turn and stop on a dime. My favorite thing to do with this one is blow past the KSC at mach 3. When you're cruising around the plains and mountains of Kerbin, it can sometimes be hard to judge just how fast you're going. Buzzing the tower at 3 times the speed of sound can give you a little perspective. She can cruise around 800 m/s in the upper atmosphere before things start melting, and when you're up there you can go for miles and miles. It's pretty good for continent hopping, and has great maneuverability for dodging those pesky mountains.

Up next, an old favorite design of mine: the Curry. This is a design that I've been using since .26, updated for the new aerodynamics, and prettyfied with the translation tool. It's surprisingly maneuverable for its size, pulling 10g loops around the space center. It's also got some serious range capabilities. I have an album somewhere of me flying this thing around the giant river on the opposite side of the planet.

Next up, the Lassi. I'm mostly including this one because I'm amazed that it can fly at all. I drew a lot of inspiration from Spike Spiegel's Swordfish, but I had to take a lot of liberties with the design. The wings on the Swordfish are waaay too far forward, making any faithful designs impossible to fly. The Lassi's wings are in a more logical spot, and it handles okay, cruising around mach 1. Takeoffs are pretty hairy, because the wheel physics in this game are pretty nonsensical. Unforunately, with those big fins on the ends of the wings, yawing can send you into a flat spin, from which it is almost impossible to recover from. The Lassi is pretty, but essentially useless.

Finally, my latest achievement, the Korma. This thing is a work of art. It uses the same fuselage as the Lassi, and it's strong, fast, and one of the most maneuverable planes I've ever flown. It's turning radius is around 200 meters at full throttle. It can still turn hard even at high mach levels. I didn't manage to get a picture, but the Korma survived a 20g turn in the upper atmosphere, dropping from 500 to 60 in a fraction of a second. I haven't finished testing all of its capabilities yet, since I only finished designing it this morning, but I'm sure it will go far.

I've discovered that either lifting bodies are far more powerful or that you don't need as much lift in 1.0.2, as I was surprised to see how well this thing flew:

52QDiCy.png

P.S.: The best thing about the new thumbnails might be that they ensure you'll always have at least one picture of every ship you've made ^^

• 6 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 7:33 AM, ZLM said:

Yop !

I got some stock plane , there are pure FUN plane ( no techs at all )

With a average of 70 Parts & 15 Tons .

Good for flight training ;)

Stock%20Fighter%27.jpg?psid=1

May I ask, why are they all Dassault aircraft?

58 minutes ago, trooperMNG said:

Awesome! Will you release the .craft file on kerbalx?

It's still a bit fiddely, but yes once I've worked a few kink out.

30 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

What mod parts are those on the shuttle? They kinda look stock but nicer.

Cormorant Aeronology is the only mod (although it also has and is designed for MechJeb).  It adds a shuttle nose and belly to the stock mk3 parts in new parts that snap onto the mk3 parts.  The rest is stock, and due to my inability to reenter close enough to glide to KSC, it is based on Buran/Energia.

Edited by tg626

eeCZyrT.pngIntroducing the Eagle and its bigger cousin the Dart. These planes are the first planes i've made from scratch since i've been playing ksp. Both were made for 1 reason only to set my personal world record of fastest airspeed under 25km which is held by the Eagle (Dart untested) at 2,634ms. Only mod used for them is opt plane parts for the cockpits wings and engines.

Edited by Davii
Change of image link

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.