The Dragster Challenge!

HD intro vid! :D

The Dragster Challenge [HD] - Kerbal Space Program

1 - Start on the runway.

2 - Accelerate down the runway.

3 - Go as fast as you can.

4 - Stop safely at the other end of the runway.

5 - Stay on the ground, don\'t leave the runway, don\'t explode, don\'t crash, don\'t drop parts from your dragster unless it is by design.

6 - Your maximum speed is your score.

Also - no using RCS as propellent. No using SAS, ASAS, or any form of autopilot type mod. This is manual control only! All other mods are fine.

Post evidence of your Epic Awesomeness (EA) or Glorious Failures (GF)!

I managed 203.6 :) It\'s easily beatable, but it\'s harder to stop the faster you go!

*Rankings so far*

Svga777 [RUS] - 429.3 m/s

dogon11 - 349 m/s

0muffins0 - 296 m/s

Maizah - 264.7 m/s

Cykyrios - 223.6 m/s

TerranCmdr - 210 m/s

Bluejayek - 180 m/s

Challenge Accepted!

well, it will be later tonight... this comp cant handle KSP... >_>

also, pro-tip. use a reverse tricycle. with 2 wheels out in front of the dragster and 1 in the back, it\'ll steer easier and stopping wont send you flipping end over end when you try to stop. (use B to break with retractable landing gear)

I\'ll report later on what i\'ve achieved.

After a few runs with death by parachute opening (ripping the ship apart), I managed to keep the crew alive with a top speed of 215.3 m/s, though I always end with the nose of the ship on the ground :D

I also managed to go up to 219 m/s but left the ground momentarily while braking...

Btw, I love the Vocaloid musics in the background of your video. What\'s the one at 2:30?

After a few runs with death by parachute opening (ripping the ship apart), I managed to keep the crew alive with a top speed of 215.3 m/s, though I always end with the nose of the ship on the ground :D

I also managed to go up to 219 m/s but left the ground momentarily while braking...

My gawd! You survived the barrel roll! :o

Btw, I love the Vocaloid musics in the background of your video. What\'s the one at 2:30?

I shall find out for you brb.

It\'s ???? by Miku and GUMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMXuEyFufGM

MP3 below (click the 'MP3 ???' button)

If anyone is wondering, it\'s non-commercial vocaloid music which is freely distributed, so no copyright worries.

http://nicosound.anyap.info/sound/sm17448250

If anyone is wondering, it\'s non-commercial vocaloid music which is freely distributed, so no copyright worries.

I managed 180m/s. I am trying using reverse mounted ramjets to slow down. Trouble so far is that I cant click deactivate fuel flow fast enough.

I took the same principle. If you put the reverse engines in a new stage and have the deactivate ready you can cut the time down.

I managed 180m/s. I am trying using reverse mounted ramjets to slow down. Trouble so far is that I cant click deactivate fuel flow fast enough.

I\'ve just used stack decouplers to do that. Retros fire in the same stage as the decouplers (thankyou for that idea!), and decouplers plus dumped engines stay pinned to the dragster because of the deceleration (which prevents them from hitting the ground, exploding and destroying the dragster). I reached 272.5 that way.

Uploading the video now 8)

so far, my most successful design has been.... 4 parts.

yeah... 4 parts.... that\'s it. a pod, a fuel tank, a motor, and a parachute. that\'s it.

i did reach 264.7m/s though! :D

at speed (a moment after killing the engine with X)

kejm89.png

chute deployed

6h2umb.png

stopped, and how much room i had to spare.

23vdkp3.png

the motor is from the nova punch pack i think... i also have the C7 packs, but clearly i didnt use em.

Very Kerbal. All my tries so far have exploded ;P

Best one got to about 250, i killed the engines and slammed the brakes, it flew bounced up to 71 meters and almost fell into the sea after several more bounces. (Covered it in wheels)

I can\'t top 142 m/s

My best thing so far is mixing spikes with normal liquids in a three engine set up.

is this a stock parts challenge?

Not a stock challenge. If you want to use a modded rocket that develops 10,000 units of thrust then good luck!

liquid engine 2 will self terminate if you set the thrust to 1500, and accelerate to full. try keeping it under that if you do decide to modify it. (i cant even keep it attached to the ship while in orbit around the sun at 20% when i set it to 2500 thrust >_>)

296 m/s

8)

HD vid below

http://youtu.be/Uh57Lipu_Vk?hd=1

Wow was that a learning experience.

I used mechanical decouplers to instantly drop the main engines when I wanted to stop (so the retros had a chance to work), and I had lander legs beneath to catch the dropped engines before they could hit the ground and explode, destroying my dragster. The downward pointing engines plus the big tail make the dragster drive like it\'s on rails and I could throttle 100% from the start. No skidding whatsoever.

This probably the fastest my dragster can go. If I want to go faster I\'ll have to build a bigger dragster that can mount bigger engines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.