The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge - 1.0 to 1.3

Still trying to reach Jool with at least 3k dV left, but that's really hard for me to make a good Kerbin Eve Kerbin Kerbin path... next try tonight ^^

(best try = 1350dV used, better than direct path, but more than i expected grrrr)

I found that the corrections for one flyby is best done before the previous flyby.

And that the inclination change needed for the first eve encounter is best done at kerbin AP (after all PE kicks). For me this meant a 5 dV correction at kerbin AP saved me a 50 dV plane change later.

Edited by Nefrums

Thank's for the advices Nefrums :)

On my last try, my first correction after leaving Kerbin SOI was less than 20m/s to adjust Eve Flyby, that's ok for me, not enough courage to re-do a better try...

The problem for me is to find the two good Kerbin flyby's to be on time with the Jool encounter -_-

I don't find how to see in advance how it will be exactly at the last Kerbin flyby, so I have to Alt F5 / F9 a lot, and adjust the node just after Eve Flyby until I find a good timing xD

Time consuming, certainly not the best way to do that, but that's how I do lol ;)

BTW I hope i'll reach Jool tonight ! after about 6hours of flyby testings the last 2 days pffff ^^

Almost 3k dV left at jool. Then the mission should be no problem, if the landers work :wink:

I spent last night perfecting and flying my mk4 ship to jool. Only to find out that one wing has mysteriously disappeared?!? Loading previous saves I see that the wing is still there is LKO but not in any later save, It must have broken during one of the many 0.03 TWR burns... Will have to redo the entire trip from LKO, including all 10 PE kicks.

Arglllll.... horrible... change the pilot, I'm sure he saw the wing by night to avoid a too long trip !

There are still bugs.... when I shut down 4 of the 5 ions motors to do precises micro corrections, one of them, some times, can't be reactivated because "cannot activate while stowed" !!!???

The solution I found was to open the "Service Bay" and then it's ok ... xD

I love KSP............ ;)

Yes. I suspect that one of the quicksaves got corrupted. Never quicksave while under physics time warp!

You have 5 ions? i only have 2 for the interplanetary transfer. 5 min burns give ~100 dv and then the batteries run out and need to be recharged for 2 hours.

Yes 5 ions to have more than 0.1 twr on LKO for the "big" ship, and 3mn max burn for ~170 dv. Long recharge time too !

I'll decouple a stage with 2 ions and a dry big xenon tank after Tylo orbite :)

I'll try to finish the mission asap to be on the 1st Jool low mass place some time because i think you have a new lower mass mission than me lol !!!

Edited by astrobond

WOW less than 20t !!! Excellent !

1.2kdV left, I think I could not do it, but I'm sure you will :)

Here: Laythe landing ok (a bit hard), Tylo landing ok (a lot hard lol), on Vall orbit, lots of Dv left, I think can finish the mission today if I don't make too much mistakes...

What is cool with ions is that you win a lot of dV each time you decouple something !

Yes! I have done the Laythe landing to, and even after refueling the ion scooter from the main xenon tank the dV for the main ship went up to 1.6 k dV. twr about doubled as there is 3 ion engines now when the ion scooter helps to push!

I've plotted a 8 dV burn to get to tylo and a ~120 dV burn to get captured.

I had redesigned the Laythe lander a bit and had not tested it.. It took about 10 attempts to get of the ground without flipping over.. The Landing gear was not on straight :blush:

Tylo landing will be fun, as that lander is not relay tested ether and it has no power, reaction wheels or landing gears.

Edited by Nefrums

Uhuuuu ^^ good luck for Tylo ! I used a lot of F9 with my 3t. Tylo lander.... xD

Manual landings with low fuel landers is hard !!! (hopefully cubics struts helped a lot ^^)

Vall is done on my side, still Bop and Pol to do, not the hardest part ;)

I'll send the album tonight !

Hi sdj64 and all :)

Here is my new try for the "LEVEL 1 SUB-CHALLENGE: LOWEST MASS OPTIMIZATION" of the "ULTIMATE JOOL-5 CHALLENGE Continuation for KSP 1.0!":

The Plan:

Less than 30t. to make the mission... without clipping xD

The Final Ship:

23,925 Kg

198,116 funds

131 parts

The Mission:

KSP 1.04, Full stock, only mods used: KER and Precise Node.

Really hard, i'm really not good at multiples flyby's....

A lot of F5, F9, Alt F5, Alt F9 ^^

Cubics struts are my new friends xD

The results:

-Flags on Laythe, Tylo, Vall, Bop and Pol !

-Valentina safe back on Kerbin, but i had to slow down the ship before aerobreaking... that was hot !

Crew: 1 Kerbal

I would like to Thank Nefrums and all the people who helped me to do this mission !!! (ideas and tips from other challenges)

The Albums:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Javascript is disabled. View full album

Fly safe with Val !

Edited by astrobond
Albums fully commented :)

Very good. I approve your mission.

Your landers where better than mine! I failed the tylo landing :(

Thank's a lot Nefrums :)

I'm really sorry for your Tylo fail... I almost failed too... but i'm sure you will soon beat me on the lowest mass !!! :)

Here is an example of my 3.1t Tylo lander out of fuel before landing xD...... Press F9 and try again ;)

Ozwc6xa.jpg

I tried many many times to land my tylo lander, but it was impossible to balance it on top of the "spark" engine without reaction wheels.

But a Mk5 ship (with improved tylo lander, and other improvements) is already in Laythe orbit :)

I saw that you took your entire ship down to low orbit of the planets. I leave the ship in elliptic orbit on the very edge of SOI. And let the lander go down and back alone. This saves loots of dV for the main ship, but requires the landers to have more as they need to get back to the elliptic orbit. (~600 dV on Laythe, ~1700k dV on Tylo to get to low orbit and back again).

But a Mk5 ship (with improved tylo lander, and other improvements) is already in Laythe orbit :)

I was sure you had a new ship !!!

That's cool, i hope i can soon get a look to your Mk5 ship :)

Next time i'll try elliptic orbits ! But not too soon, i take a little break, really time consuming this challenge lol ;)

Al landings done, only return trip left. 4.5 k dV left.

I made the mistake of trying to make my tylo lander look cool by having a toroidal tank in front of the command chair so the pilot would be looking through it. It turned out that the kerbal was a lot bigger and the helmet ended up clipping the tank. Hope it is still ok as there is no functional reason that the tank is in fort instead of behind the chair.

Al landings done, only return trip left. 4.5 k dV left.

I made the mistake of trying to make my tylo lander look cool by having a toroidal tank in front of the command chair so the pilot would be looking through it. It turned out that the kerbal was a lot bigger and the helmet ended up clipping the tank. Hope it is still ok as there is no functional reason that the tank is in fort instead of behind the chair.

IMO: Don't worry.

Secondly, I discovered today definitely aerobrake at Laythe rather than Jool, I spent 2 hours trying Jool before I realized aerobraking at 9km/s was a bad idea. Aerobraking at Laythe saved me about 2,000 dV (just a guess), and had no issues with exploding at 5km/s. Mothership is now in Laythe Orbit weighing just slightly under 400,000kg.:cool:

Hi sdj64 and all :)

Here is my new try for the "LEVEL 1 SUB-CHALLENGE: LOWEST MASS OPTIMIZATION" of the "ULTIMATE JOOL-5 CHALLENGE Continuation for KSP 1.0!":

The Plan:

Less than 30t. to make the mission... without clipping xD

The Final Ship:

23,925 Kg

198,116 funds

131 parts

The Mission:

KSP 1.04, Full stock, only mods used: KER and Precise Node.

Really hard, i'm really not good at multiples flyby's....

A lot of F5, F9, Alt F5, Alt F9 ^^

Cubics struts are my new friends xD

The results:

-Flags on Laythe, Tylo, Vall, Bop and Pol !

-Valentina safe back on Kerbin, but i had to slow down the ship before aerobreaking... that was hot !

Crew: 1 Kerbal

I would like to Thank Nefrums and all the people who helped me to do this mission !!! (ideas and tips from other challenges)

The Albums:

http://imgur.com/a/0VlCK

http://imgur.com/a/ceZOY

Fly safe with Val !

Very nice, well documented mission. Under 24 tons wow! You are our first Low Mass completion of KSP 1.0!

Sorry I've been away for a while. I'm working on other projects but I have a grand tour without ISRU or refuelling in the planning stages. Should be interesting. I might have to steal some ideas from you guys. Looking forward to seeing Nefrums's mission!

sami, there's no rule against jetpacks. Go ahead!

Very nice, well documented mission. Under 24 tons wow! You are our first Low Mass completion of KSP 1.0!

Sorry I've been away for a while. I'm working on other projects but I have a grand tour without ISRU or refuelling in the planning stages. Should be interesting. I might have to steal some ideas from you guys. Looking forward to seeing Nefrums's mission!

sami, there's no rule against jetpacks. Go ahead!

Thank's a lot sdj64 :)

First until Nefrums' mission ! lol

Still in a hurry to see it also :)

BTW, can I add the TDIcZyO.pngbadge to my signature with a link to this challenge ? ^^

Fly safe with Val !

Edited by astrobond

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.