The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

cheeseit congratulations on completing the K-Prize mission and earning the highly regarded Advanced Pilot Precision Award by achieving orbit and landing the Small SSTO on the KSC runway. Welcome to the roll of honour aka guest list.

Landge congratulations on achieving the objective of your mission to place a satellite in orbit around Minmus, in the process completing the K-Prize mission and gaining the prestigious Kosmokerbal and Utilitarial Commendations as well as an Advanced Pilot Precision Award for bringing SSTO VindiGator Mk 0.23.5 safely back to land at the KSC runway. Welcome back to the guest list aka roll of honour

DrMoo the K-Prize committee extends its deepest sympathies to the family of Camlin Kerman and all survivors of the ill fated Minmus mission which saw Camlin's rocket bike lose control over Minmus' unforgiving surface and crash with a full tank of fuel due the loss of electrical power to the capsule reaction wheels. Though it cast a long shadow over the proceedings, the accident did not disqualify the mission which continued to successfully achieve the highly prestigious Astrokerbal and Utilitarial Distinctions for delivering a payload to the surface of Minmus and an Advanced Pilot Precision Award for returning, albeit missing a crew member, with Condor EX-VIII Experimental SSTO. RIP Camlin we will not forget you. Welcome to the K-Prize guest list and roll of honour (at last) and let me know if you would like your gatecrasher entry removed as is your right now you have completed the mission successfully, should you wish it.

I don't think that I want to remove that yet for I have (an admittedly shaky) idea on how to conform to the rules using a craft intended for vertical take-off, and I want to remove myself from the gatecrashers list when I have made such a craft. Thank you for your condolences with Camlin Kerman, may he rest in the icy Minmus soil. I can't believe I forgot to put an RTG in that bike...

Here is my entry to be part for the glorious K-prize. Phendrana 6-D, a modified version of a stock parts SSTO I posted in the showcase thread, piloted by Kenster Kerman. Now capable of lifting loads into orbit.

Stats:

- 124.76 ton (no cargo).

- 453 parts (no cargo).

- 11 RAPIERS, 2 LV-N.

Able to haul a 36 ton orange tank to LKO (72x92).

I had about 1000 units of oxidizer left, but only 56 units of fuel, so it can still be optimized, as the initial climb was excruciatingly slow (maxed out pitch + rcs).

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Remkeau

Back again with the "Donut" this time. It weighs in at 30.13 tonnes and is designed it to carry up a FL-T200 sized module up into orbit around either of Kerbins moons. In this case I dropped off a small satellite around the Mun for science or communications or something.But more importantly it can bring a tub of snacks to a space station. The take off went very smooth but I can't seem to get action groups to work any more so I had to cut all power to engines while I killed the outer 2 turbo jets to rely entirely on the RAPIERS. This made the ascent pretty inefficient because I dropped from 1500 m/s to 1300 in the time it took to do that. Once I ran out of air it went easily to LKO and then to the Mun and circularized the orbit. I dropped off the mini satellite

The real problems came at landing. For some reason the landing gear decided to splay out like crazy no matter how slowly I touched down. I was touching down with less than a meter a second of vertical velocity and the landing gear kept flexing in and out and this would cause the craft to veer left or right on landing. The weird thing is that I tried landing it with the payload with full fuel and it didn't splay out at all. :(

On the second try they both flexed out so I could control the landing. I put on the brakes pretty hard to stop and then it decided to do a wheelie :P.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by cheeseit

Rastapopolous, mechjeb is perfectly within the rules as it does not alter the lift or thrust of the craft.

Remkeau, thankyou for your mission report and congratulations on getting the enormous Phendrana 6-D into orbit with payload which has taken the maximalist record holder top spot at 150.76t combined liftoff weight, if I have done my sums correctly. Also for completing the K-Prize mission while depositing a 36t orange fuel tank in orbit you have earned the universally admired Utilitarial Commendation and for landing safely at KSC runway an Advanced Pilot Precision Award. Welcome to the K-Prize guest list aka roll of honour.

cheeseit thankyou for your mission report on the flight of the Donut and congratulations on building on your previous success. The flight to Münar orbit earned the prestigious Kosmokerbal Commendation as well as an universally admired Utilitarial Commendation for dropping a satellite into Münar orbit. Returning safely to KSC earned an Advanced Pilot Precision Award despite the hiccups with Donut's center of mass. Welcome back to the K-Prize party guest list aka the roll of honour.

Hi! I'd like to re-participate for one of those Expeditionary Utilitarial Distinctions.

My new plane has delivered a 24 ton cargo (I don't make payloads intentionally heavy...) to Laythe.

It surpasses the Astroliner-V by looking smoother :) and my new video is a lot less messy.

Astroliner VII "Andromeda":

Downloadsky The plane and other vehicles used in the mission.

Do u guys even use FAR?
Rules

1. The craft may not lose any parts in flight, no decoupling allowed.

2. The craft must lift off horizontally, reach orbit (PE > 70,000m) and land intact ready for 'refuelling'.

3. All fuel tanks, wings (lift generators) and engine parts must be stock, for fairness.

FAR'ed parts aren't stock, so I'd guess no :)

Tortoise, what sal_vager said.

Hi Overfloater, thanks for your video report of a successful mission to Laythe with the advanced looking Andromeda. Liked the vehicles btw and the space truck was a nice touch :). You have indeed earned an Expeditionary Utilitarial Distinction which includes an Expeditionary Astrokerbal Distinction as well as an Advanced Pilot Precision Award for getting back to KSC runway in one piece. Welcome back to the roll of honour and the K-Prize party for which you now have 6 tickets!

PS I have set out a clear definition of a planet for purposes of the K-Prize as I was confusing myself over Laythe.

Planets are defined as the central body in their own SOI within Kerbols SOI or gravity exceeding 0.75 of Kerbins.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the link TechniCali, awesome craft and challenge thread with some nice looking ships in it, good luck with it. I have given you a gatecrashers link because I believe the mission craft used modded air intakes. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have also given Sputnik's Revenge a gatecrasher link until the various mysteries surrounding the flight are solved! (eg How did it lift off, did it land safely?)

Ok... So It's been a while since I've entered this challenge. I also thought I'd do something more interesting and challenging.

Presenting the Ve Gemini.

Transport two Kerbals to low Kerbin Orbit in complete pressurised luxury while using less than a standard tank of fuel.

Efficiency, luxury, remote control and self destruct capable... oh, ignore that last point. Just don't hit the stage button too much.

Anywho. Here's the video of the first Mk1 Test flight.

And here is the craft file for those who want it (limited time only).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2swnc2e5e21f77d/V%20Gemini.craft

Part count = 38

Total mass = 5.89t

Crew = 2

Edited by hebdomad

Hi! I'd like to re-participate for one of those Expeditionary Utilitarial Distinctions.

My new plane has delivered a 24 ton cargo (I don't make payloads intentionally heavy...) to Laythe.

It surpasses the Astroliner-V by looking smoother :) and my new video is a lot less messy.

Astroliner VII "Andromeda":

http://youtu.be/jRU6EnSoMLs

Downloadsky The plane and other vehicles used in the mission.

This is impressive! Good looking, behaves well and extremly capable. Good joob keeping part count down to!

10/10 in my book!

Hahaha so great to see you here!! :-]

I'd like to point out though, that this plane is an over-engineered piece of poo. My newer one is better at every aspect:

OtMyqdF.jpg

Has no useless parts, no funky shaking or any weird behavior... smoothest flight ever, and puts 20+ ton payloads on Laythe & 40t payloads on Duna. This one, is perfect - there's nothing to improve!

also... I don't suppose I can find your wonderful videos somwhere again...? :^3

Edited by Overfloater

Hi All. Passing the time waiting for the KSP 0.24 update by entering a few challenges.

So a stock spaceplane sounds like fun because I usually play with a ton of mods.

Clean install, no mods. Keep it simple, low part count.

Just an up to LKO and back to KSP runabout design built especially for Jeb.

Much easier nowadays with the Rapier engines compared to the loads of air intakes required back in KSP v0.19.

I also did not fly a terribly efficient ascent.

However, getting away from all the mods for a bit....It was fun! Thanks for setting a cool challenge.