The K Prize - 100% reusable spaceplane to orbit and back

So.....assuming FAR is allowed here....i made a plane that easily got to orbit. I had extra fuel so i decided to try for a munar transfer. but i ran out of fuel (left a little for deobit) so im coming back in to the atmosphere and i fire up my jet engines and realise im getting kicked back up to 20,000 ish. so i decided to have another run. i went up to about 30,000 meters, and then angled my plane down, while still accelerating. this let me build up extreme speed while in the atmosphere. i ended up going about 3,600 m/s !!! i got my munar transfer off of jet engines. i then flew past the mun and came back for a landing on the huge continent. I will replicate this mission later so i can take screenshots of everything and hopefully go a lot farther. but does this sound like a k-prize worthy plane so far?

OK i just found these old pictures. one of my first SSTO. Kerbin station is at 100km equatorial orbit. it's an air hog and there are turbojets nested with rocket engines inside the T800 fuel tanks. i did not use the clipping cheat but i dunno if that disqualifies this plane :(

EDIT: please hold on i can't figure out albums from imgur yet.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

B. Docking is permitted providing no fuel is transferred (net per fuel type) into the K-Prize craft (it can be transferred out). Crew transfers are permitted.

Just read the rules again..... oops

Edited by Cerberus738
learning to post album

Hi all.

This is my first submission to a spaceplane challenge as I'm new to the spaceplane making industry. Let me present to you the Reinbacker, all stock. It is capable of reaching a stable LKO and land back at KSC, but it is somewhat difficult to fly. Much to my disappointment, I can't find out what's wrong with my design. Could someone please help me improve it ?

Fly safe.

Sensi.

my uncut entry. the plane is called: "ThunderCougarFalconBird" it is an all air breathing [no rockets, no oxidizer] VTOL SSTO but i took off horizontally like the challenge requires. i obtained a stable orbit [PE>70k] using engine, blazing across the sky at mach-7+. i used the ARMED version because its heavier [heaviest version between "ARMED" and "NOT-ARMED", only fair i use the heaviest version for tests, trials, demos and ratings.]. the video is UNCUT, with easy listening music added cuz the time. i even got obnoxiously lucky and an elusive eclipse happened. i orbit once, and land on runway. first attempt cuz im 1337, and my plane is the best in-atmo SSTO youve ever seen. wait till you all see the "leonopteryx".

ALL MY PLANES ARE STOCK PARTS, no clipping exploits either.

the "ThunderCougarFalconBird" in its K-Prize challenge entry.

Here's my entry (No kudos, sadly, just an SSTO)

d8cKbnG.png

Here she is. The Dawn's Flower. The name comes from the Champaign Bottle plugin, as I couldn't think of a good name.

Bj8FXPG.png

On the runway. The DF has the ability to fly both manned and unmanned. Here, Jeb is flying. On the left is a custom window, providing all the info I need to fly.

rVuWULh.png

At around 100 m/s, I pull back and prepare for take off.

JzeUfcA.png

And we're flying!

Lf5mMDz.png

Flying some more.

naCaivl.png

Still flying.

R2r9MtD.png

More flying. We're still running on air breather mode, here. In fact, she can maintain air breathing for quite a while...

t8erCWy.png

And now we're burning oxidiser. Time to hit orbit!

yTwA3aS.png

Apoapsis is now well over 70, time to coast and circularise.

wmEibue.png

...Or not. Not works too. But, hey, the periapsis is over 70! So we've hit orbit.

everqcA.png

Either way, it's time to head back to Kerbin.

iLc8hVm.png

Day side? Check. Periapsis in negative numbers? Check. Let's head down then!

MgKQUF3.png

Here we are, coming over land.

wpUCWFv.png

Reentry flames are starting to show.

xQxopRu.png

Reentry is in full swing!

F8TfXtM.png

Yeah, we're going to hit land.

pxjFDP6.png

And now begins the painfully slow landing.

RPQBEyn.png

wmKzagh.png

FZyGu48.png

4IcWxLi.png

Almost there...

ZHst3c6.png

Almost there!

qKsxkQg.png

AND LANDED!

aPzcaea.png

Who needs parachutes anyway?

Flight of the Pelican Mk II. LV-909 nested with Turbojets. Atomic engine in the center also nested. Airhog.

Flight went really well until I lost control on descent over the mountains. managed to recover and come back around to land on the runway

Edited by Cerberus738

In other news due to my video card giving out, cooling fan finally gave out. I've been forced to put my older Radeon card back in and lag city has returned. I recently found out it may also be from the Hot-rockets mod. But for now my kerbal space adventures are on hold till i get an up to date video card.

That's never good to hear! hope you get it sorted...

Been trying to do the 'Maching Machine' challenge recently, both mannaed and un-manned vehicles, which don't qualify for this challenge (as it's purely fuel/air mix only, no oxidizer allowed)... My "Madness 1" might qualify... if I can be bothered to get it all the way into space!

Space Cowboy dang that thing looks huge!

In other news, i may have found a way to keep playing KSP, reduce rendering all the way to fastest. At that setting I've found that i've been able to work some magic and get back into playing once more.

Guest Space Cowboy

Please try it out. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/mutant-heros-large-scale-personnel-transport-stockssto22-x2-x/ I don't know it's weight but I think it might possibly be a contender for heaviest. Also - I am planning to use UbioZur's Weld-It on it soon. It's more of a construction tool than a mod. users of the compiled part can be on a vanilla install. It doesn't work on 0.23 yet. Framerates go up astronomically and welded parts have zero flex and 100% strength (to each other).

Thankyou for your patience :) I have been suffering with a heavy cold recently so K-Prize updating was postponed. Thanks to everyone for their mission reports, I have added the following to the roll of honour guest list. Congratulations and welcome (back in some cases) to the K-Prize.

bsalis Advanced Pilot Precision Award with Excalibur (VTOL capable). Hi again, effective and looks a bit like a sword.

Sensi Pilot Proficiency Medal with Reinbacker. Not sure if its meant to fly backwards?

RebelFreedom Advanced Pilot Precision Award with ThunderCougarFalconBird. Mercifully does not have a badger stuck to it but still looks a bit dangerous.

Sgt. Cookie with Dawns Flower. Dainty like a mayfly.

Cerberus738 Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1stClass with Pelican Mk II. A large expanse of space age lift surfaces helps when transporting that many Kerbals.

Endersmens, FAR changes lift characteristics. Good luck with the mission, which can be linked as a gatecrasher if you want to use FAR.

Cmdr. Arn1e and Space Cowboy thanks for your screenies, good luck with your missions, will be interested to hear how they go.

dont forget, the ThunderCougarFalconBird is VTOL capable! and ARMED! [oh my..] D: wit 12 missiles. [MERICA] so it is an ARMED VTOL SSTO.

as this short demo portrays.

http://youtu.be/xsOFJPeQZUc

and thanks :) i liked this "Advanced Pilot Precision Award with ThunderCougarFalconBird. Mercifully does not have a badger stuck to it but still looks a bit dangerous."

"boolybooly", is your name a programming reference of this song? i will always picture this song as your theme song.

http://youtu.be/KZJiGu6Gz8E

dont forget, the ThunderCougarFalconBird is VTOL capable! and ARMED! [oh my..] D: wit 12 missiles. [MERICA] so it is an ARMED VTOL SSTO.

as this short demo portrays.

http://youtu.be/xsOFJPeQZUc

and thanks :) i liked this "Advanced Pilot Precision Award with ThunderCougarFalconBird. Mercifully does not have a badger stuck to it but still looks a bit dangerous."

"boolybooly", is your name a programming reference of this song? i will always picture this song as your theme song.

http://youtu.be/KZJiGu6Gz8E

Yup, correct, the name boolybooly was a reference to both that song and computer logic :) I like that the song is bouncy and cheerful like early Ska / 2tone, fusion of black and white, world peace etc. Its supposed to imply that emotion and logic can work together constructively, in harmony. Like Dr Spock finding his human side!

I can add a VTOL link for your demo video no problem. To explain my comment for other readers, I understood that franklinators are often made with badgers. Weaponising is not officially recognised as a K-Prize objective in deference to Harvester's preference that Kerbal space not be weaponised but its hard to ignore the pyrotechnic potential of the little solid rocket boosters I do concede.

Sensi Pilot Proficiency Medal with Reinbacker. Not sure if its meant to fly backwards?

[TIC MODE ON]

DOH ! So THAT was the problem with my design ! Thank you very much for your help, boolybooly. Next time I build a spaceplane, I'll keep the pointy end forward.

[TIC MODE OFF]

:D

booly booly, i have the "Leonopteryx"[meaning "king of the sky"] video up.. this bird--> http://www.hdwallpapers.in/walls/great_leonopteryx_attack-HD.jpg ....i hate vegas pro and doing editing as well.. but whatevers. this is my mission to land on laythe with no refuels ;D it achieves a speed of mach 34.7ish in space, eventually.. and my three kerbals take the traditional swim! i have a habit of EVAing when i shouldnt though.. as youd have seen in my last entry. wonder if they all survived O_O if i only get one entry, i want it to be the ThunderCougarFalconBird still though :P

Behold, the Leonopteryx

http://youtu.be/Qe1haa1sJ1U

Getting the "Leonopteryx" to Laythe as a SSTO is an achievement in its own right RebelFreedom and it can become a K-Prize mission (with its own listing beneath your name) if it gets back to Kerbin safely, otherwise your post linking it can be linked as a gatecrasher entry if you would prefer.

aaaaaaahhhhh i missed the "to kerbin orbit and BACK" part :P id need a refuel to return, and im not allowed to send a refuel truck. **** XD well, i could prolly land on duna or eve and return fine.. idk. yeah, make it gatecrasher for now, i forgot to plan the trip home D: ill figure something out eventually.. lolz those kerbals will realize it soon, and then panic.. :/

Due to the recent failure of all current K-Drive SSTOs, the Engineering Department has pulled up some new designs to continue working with. One of those is this, the KSV Phoenix.

It's designed for LKO at any inclination and for docking at LKO stations. When refueled, it has return from Munar/Minmus range and possibly one-way interplanetary.

Please note that the ascent wasn't very efficient. Also, this entry was rushed, so if I made a mistake, feel free to alert the bouncers :)

This should qualify for: Advanced Pilot Precision Award

EDIT: I have redesigned the craft in the meantime with somewhat better flight characteristics. So, a question:

Does the Kosmokerbal acheivement count for just entering another body's SOI or must said craft achieve orbit? The redesigned craft can do a Munar Free Return Trajectory / Low Munar Flyby no problem, but an orbit is much more difficult, probably requiring AIRHOGZ and milking every last m/s of speed outta the jets.

Edited by FCISuperGuy

Hi FCISuperGuy welcome to the K-Prize challenge, thanks for you mission report on the flight of the compact looking KSV Phoenix. Congratulations on your Advanced Pilot Precision Award for docking in orbit and returning to land safely on Kerbin, which has earned you a place on the guest list for the K-Prize party. To answer your question, yes a free return counts, just visiting another SOI qualifies for the Kosmokerbal Commendation.

Thanks for your screenies TeeGee, interesting range of craft making use of the adapters to increase air intake. Did any of these complete the K-Prize mission?