Kerbin Drag behavior, going from over 3K speed to hanging high up at 60m/s?

Miravlix

Situation: Return orbit from Mun. 30ishK Insertion.

Vehicle: Simple 2 seat lander. No wings, no drag items, no airbrakes. Just a fuel can with 4 thugs with a 2 seat lander on top.

I hit 70K and my 3k+ m/s speed is right away dropping, I never hit the heat, because the vehicle is below 1K before I hit 40K.

To make it even weirder, speed keeps bleeding off, until I'm down to 60m/s.

At 20ishK 60m/s is a really really slow trip down to the surface, but strangely popping a chute and the craft speeds up to 200m/s or so.

Even better Trajectories actually predicts that my craft is going to bleed of speed that fast and land right on target.

Multiple times, two Mun Lander missions in a row right now. It's not most of the time it occurs, but that might be because in all my gaming so far, I really hate Mun lander missions, but in this career game, I'm putting a lot of effort into Mun science farming missions.

Trajectories red line, seems to follow a more scientific model, but it put's the actually "You WIll Hit Here" marker, right where the full stop landing ends up.

2 Lander Can (With four side chutes and a big one on top, four solar arrays and some batteries)

Cargo Bay, With scientific stuff.

Fuel Can and four thugs with landing gear attached to the thugs.

Some ladders.

All stock. Only non stock parts I have installed is USI Colonization stuff, but I haven't really gotten around to using it much.

The rest is just display mod like KER or quality of life mods. I try to avoid anything that modify stock game behavior, Antenna Range is the most radical mod I have installed at the moment.'

No heat shield, why would I waste time on that in a stock game, even at 120% heat, it's not needed for Kerbin.

I just built a ship based on your description and it re-entered normally. It kept accelerating to about 50km, then started slowing down. At about 38km it got reentry flames and at 27km the 2 of the 4 batteries exploded (no bigs). At about 16km the flames abated and I was going less than 1000m/s so I hit the chutes and landed normally.

I don't think I can help you wihtout an actual picture or craft file. No amount of describing will allow me to exactly replicate your craft

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.