[1.6.1] Chaka Monkey 161

YANFRET

[quote name='lynwoodm']From what I understand from the devs, and I could be wrong, there won't be much to do for the 1.1 update than to make the mods to operate on a 64 bit os. The actual transfer of collision models, thermodynamics and all those things were done with the 1.0.5 patch. I only gathered bits and pieces of info on the gap between these two updates and as I stated before, there maybe more to it than just releasing it for 1.0.5 and having to go back and doing it again with 1.1. But, I also look at it like this: It's your mod, you can do what you want with it. If you feel comfortable waiting and working on 1.1, by all means, wait for the next update. If you feel you can roll a few systems out that's compatible with 1.0.5, that would be great, too. I for one would love to put this mod back into action again, but I also understand that making mods compatible and re doing all your work is a pain. As I stated before, I'm no expert mod maker, I just mod it till it crashes. In any case, do what you feel is right for you. If too many people complain about you not working on your mod and it's dead, you can always ignore them, but I am happy to hear that you are interested in our thoughts on this.[/QUOTE]

The biggest change for 1.1 will be with the shader. Unity 5 uses a PBR shader, which allows for significantly greater control over textures. Currently, KSP is using a flat diffuse shader, which means that things like reflective surfaces (metal, glass, gloss plastics, ceramics) either have to left dull or have the reflection faked in the texture. The PBR shader allows for real time reflections with a great degree of control. Which means, you'll be able to tell the difference between chrome and brushed stainless steel by nothing more than the reflective properties. In other words, it'll be much more realistic.

So as far as the parts go, there should be no change. As far as the textures go, the changes can be and probably will be significant.

Here is an example someone made to demonstrate the difference potential.
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/b8fzpHm.jpg[/IMG] Edited by noonespecial

YANFRET said:

This is intentional. There are many situations where we require different sizes and shapes of the same model/texture combo. Rather than using a new part, we will save your memory overhead by re sizing and re using an existing model. Also, the complex craft and mission requirements of chaka dictate multiple versions of similar products.

We apologize for not taking the time to name the cfg files to reflect the part names in game, perhaps that is a great Sunday afternoon project to be undertaken before our next update.

Speaking of updates, we have decided to saturate one of our primary vendors with requests that relate to the true next generation of Chaka, the edition intended for KSP 1.1, rather than focus those resources on 1.0.5 compatibility this week. Really, we could push out a version that works with 1.0.5, but perhaps it's best that we focus on moving things to the next level with exciting new products for 1.1.

If you disagree and you're dying for an ASAP 1.0.5 release, please give us feedback so we can consider the options.

Also, on the point of reusing parts: i noticed that you create multiple types of tanks by copying the model into a new folder and changing just the texture. It is possible to use multiple textures for a model in the same folder by using the MODEL{} instead of the mesh = <mymodel.mu> functionality.

model = <Path/To/Model>
scale = <Size, Of, Model>
texture = <Path/To/Template/Texture, Path/To/New/Texture>

TAC Life Support uses this method to reuse a single container model for multiple parts by changing the texture. Check here for an example.

Edited by Phineas Freak

Yanfret: NP, it's just that I had tons of crashes (the orion tanks cluster and the altair lander pod would cause huge fps drops) with the current version and decided to take out the other parts I don't use and found that almost all the cfg files were copies of something. I'll hold off until 1.1, can't wait for KSP to get their act together and move to the 21st century ;)

[quote name='Phineas Freak']Also, on the point of reusing parts: i noticed that you create multiple types of tanks by copying the model into a new folder and changing just the texture. It is possible to use multiple textures for a model in the same folder by using the MODEL{} instead of the mesh = <mymodel.mu> functionality.

[CODE]
MODEL
{
model = <Path/To/Model>
scale = <Size, Of, Model>
texture = <Path/To/Template/Texture, Path/To/New/Texture>
}
[/CODE]

TAC Life Support uses this method to reuse a single container model for multiple parts by changing the texture. Check [URL="https://github.com/taraniselsu/TacLifeSupport/blob/master/GameData/ThunderAerospace/TacLifeSupportRecyclers/AirFilter.cfg"]here[/URL] for an example.[/QUOTE]

It's kind of a workflow thing, easier to keep up with and track this way. If it were a static system that never changed then yea

[quote name='Jimbodiah']Yanfret: NP, it's just that I had tons of crashes (the orion tanks cluster and the altair lander pod would cause huge fps drops) with the current version and decided to take out the other parts I don't use and found that almost all the cfg files were copies of something. I'll hold off until 1.1, can't wait for KSP to get their act together and move to the 21st century ;)[/QUOTE]

Use of Chaka 1.0.4B in 1.0.5 is not supported and will result in fire, death, voiding of warranty, and possible attack by tentacle creature.

You mean be adding

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleSurfaceFX
		thrustProviderModuleIndex = 0
		fxMax = 1
		maxDistance = 100
		falloff = 2
		thrustTransformName = thrustTransform              
	}

you just have to add it to the engine CFG but it can't be on the same part that has command on it or is there something new, I missed ?

1.0.5 Status Update

Testing resumes of Duna systems in final prep for the 1.0.5 rollout. Special thanks again to NoOneSpecial, MeCripp, Blackheart612 and Kartoffelkuchen for manufacturer support, updating collider models and beating things with sticks.

Presently all models are working in 1.0.5 and all that is left is to flight test and validate each craft file for unforeseen issues.

QiFNDY.jpg
4D7bj9.jpg
dsMnzA.jpg

In other news, I just spent two hours un-ducking various craft files so that they work in 1.0.5, and so far all the EMLV systems are now 1.0.5 flight rated, included the aggressive "Orion Plus" system with the bonus hab module stashed above the ICPS.

17 hours ago, YANFRET said:

In other news, I just spent two hours un-ducking various craft files so that they work in 1.0.5, and so far all the EMLV systems are now 1.0.5 flight rated, included the aggressive "Orion Plus" system with the bonus hab module stashed above the ICPS.

Hey does that mean the Orion fairings are working again? For some reason the will explode when they are jettisoned.

1 minute ago, V8jester said:

Hey does that mean the Orion fairings are working again? For some reason the will explode when they are jettisoned.

Yes, they'll be working again. They needed updated colliders, cause 1.0.5 forced us to use convex colliders only, the Orion Fairing colliders were concave. ;)

13 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

Yes, they'll be working again. They needed updated colliders, cause 1.0.5 forced us to use convex colliders only, the Orion Fairing colliders were concave. ;)

Oh, Gotcha. I was wondering if that was the case. Because they acted as though they were clipped through the rest of the Orion spacecraft. So when jettisoned they were ripping the ship apart. Thanks man :)

2 hours ago, V8jester said:

Oh, Gotcha. I was wondering if that was the case. Because they acted as though they were clipped through the rest of the Orion spacecraft. So when jettisoned they were ripping the ship apart. Thanks man :)

: ) 

Very working:

eRRGBT.jpg

14 hours ago, V8jester said:

The suspense is killing me

:)

All I can say is, when you notice the licenses and images being updated on the first page (which they are being), it's a safe bet we're close. :P

Edited by YANFRET

3 hours ago, YANFRET said:

All I can say is, when you notice the licenses and images being updated on the first page (which they are being), it's a safe bet we're close. :P

Oh I know you guys are hard at work :) Take your time. Chaka is always well worth the wait.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.