[1.6.1] Chaka Monkey 161

YANFRET

Dear Chief Program Director Yanfret of Chaka Exploration Systems,

We, your most restorative and hypoallergenic customers, at Voidryder's Aerospace, are overjoyed to hear that you have regained your enthusiasm and zeal for continuing your labors to produce outstanding launch vehicles and spacecraft. Our Director of Kerman Resources and Facilities Maintenances, Sigourney Kerweaver prides herself on a 100% success rate with her patients. To that end, if she were to schedule another session with you she would no longer have a 100% success rate. An unacceptable situation which would lead to her suffering depression and immediately being reassigned to a convalescent position on our SRB test firing range.

As a result of careful consideration, she has pronounced you cured! Congratulations!

In Good Mental Health,

The Grand Designer

Voidryder's Aerospace

Post Script: Pleases send CMES remittance for psychiatric re-education session. Also external phone number for Kerman Resources and Facilities Maintenances is now unlisted.

Edited by Voidryder

LoL

Hey starting at the dotted line, silly time is over so that people don't have to pilfer through our jokes to find answered to their questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've checked it myself again, here's the exterior & interior views:

http://i58.tinypic.com/10iawdc.png

http://i62.tinypic.com/in9udk.jpg

I may also have found a little problem with the CHAKA/NOS Altair Explorer pod. It doesn't seem to have a crew hatch that's clickable to allow transfers without EVA.

But still, this is a great mod and I love it!

Thanks! Action Tickets are open on both issues. :D

Now that's role playing for ya lol. Yanfret It was awhile back I inquired about the very large reaction wheels in the fuel tanks. I can't quite remember what you said, but I think it was something along the lines of it being for testing. Now I've really yet to sink my teeth into your mod so I've not actually tried much of the parts. But when scrolling through I see the fuels tanks have some 50-100 units of reaction wheel torque. What's the purpose of this?

I plan on.. if possible... Making a module manager .cfg that removes any and all reaction wheels from my game, including this mod. I personally find them way too convenient. So when it comes to CMES will removing those large reaction wheels harm anything other then maneuverability?

Yeah great question.

Since we last talked about that something else came up related to 1.0.2...

The Bobcat core stage for SLS and MLS no longer has working gimbal, as of 1.0.2 it is reversed and there is no way to fix it. Until our next generation core stage model comes online, the only way to fly the part is with gimbal disabled, and huge sums of reaction wheel force to compensate.

Another reason we are still using reaction force on a number of parts relates to KSP gameplay vs how real space missions are flown.

When you have giant big heavy things that need point a certain way, the RCS force affects orbital trajectory. In real life they sit down and do the math and plan out every single RCS firing according to a plan.

This is not fun or convenient in KSP. To make it easier on the user, the option of using SAS force to orient a vehicle while transferring to another planet is available, because many Chaka parts have substantial SAS power.

Right on Yanfret thanks for the explanation. Maybe I'll rethink my anti reaction wheel approach for CMES lol. Yeah I noticed unbalanced rcs will wreak havoc on your trajectory. Unbalanced SAS will do that too I find. Not saying your stuff is unbalanced, but I imagine it could be given a user's creativity. For instance if someone tried to make that mars ship posted a few pages back.

I can't imagine what the large SAS will do on such a craft if the SAS wasn't aranged accordingly.

Yeah, one place we run into trouble in particular is the Duna landers and Monkey Transfer Vehicle. The Duna landers all have high power RCS ports at their top area to give the user the most possible control on entry. If a heatshield tumbles back due to a particular entry angle and rate, and the craft were to become unstable, we want the user to have the best chance of getting to the ground safely. Those high power RCS ports are small, low geometry and have zero texture mass ( single dark grey pixel )... so they are somewhat hard to find in space, and requiring the user to disable and then re enable them individually to do a balanced RCS guided transfer orbit would be a mess. So SAS steps in and makes the process more Kerbal.

On the Transfer Vehicle, those giant drop tanks need the high power RCS ports to maneuver for assembly docking, and are pretty handy for certain maneuvers, but having to rely on them alone to guide the transfer orbit adds all those trajectory variances, so it's nice to be able to shut them all off and still orient the ship.

In previous versions of KSP all that was more of a struggle, but in the newer versions the SAS is pretty smart so it does a fair job of balancing things as we have it set up now.

AKA the Giant Wet Spaghetti Noodle Ship. Works great for going in straight lines. Warning: Warranty void if any attempt at turning is made. Turning may increase structural stress that can lead to unplanned disassembly.

Nope! with the gentle (and boring) acceleration of ion engines that won't happen, only the violence and rudeness of chemical or nuclear propulsion do that :D

Magnificent vehicle!!

I've been having a bug and it's happening with every launch abort tower (including this one). They will not activate while attached to a capsule, can anyone help me out?

Honestly we should have created an action group that separates the capsule and activates the solids, but we did not. I'm creating an action ticket on this item :)

Heat Shield Separation Motor Flight Test

6jQZx0.jpg

In the name of product safety, Low Density Hypersonic Decelerators will now separate with the assistance of three solid motors.

Even with action groups the launch abort does not work

Voidryder came up with these instructions which will be included in the product documentation:

I set to Abort Key

LES - Toggle Engine

SM Fairing (both) - Decouple

Orion Backshell - Decouple

I set to Alpha 10 key

LES - Decouple

I set to Alpha Key 9

Parachutes - Deploy

News!

After many test flights, we have an Orion parachute system for you that actually works every time! Also it's pretty smooth.

Tyuttc.jpg

eRxOQA.jpg

ZX4KeN.jpg

X2eBVJ.jpg

EVfh1D.jpg

jhEEWy.jpg

nAooLC.jpg

I know a single parachute is kindof simple, but we're gonna keep it simple so that you are not compelled to go Real Chute. ( Be our guest if you want more chute action )

It actually took about 5 days of testing to get this right, so we're quite pleased with the result.

More News!

Duna Return to Orbit is completley revised. It might look the same outside, but under the hood it's much improved. Now it features a version of ALCOR that has monopropellant for RTO circularization, the decoupler is enlarged so it doesnt snag on the lander when returning to orbit, it has four new micro sep motors on the heatshield to prevent that from blowing back and smacking the lander.

E768IB.jpg

sdG7zU.jpg

IAJnPV.jpg

PHW80s.jpg

OO4Akb.jpg

0u0qCi.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

Them instructions don't look like how Voidryder would have worked them you must have monkey edited them :wink: and AAARRRHHHH hate that engine in last pic :)

EDIT- Wasn't there some talk about dry hoses on car tops lol 15-114.jpg

EDIT- NASA Trailer Park 3880843642_a24a97fd94.jpg

Edited by Mecripp2

Dear Jocular Flight Director MeCripp,

We, your most stentorian supporters from inexpensive chairing, at Voidryder's Aerospace did much slapping of knees at your missive. Please note that you are correct, Abort commands were written by Personal Secretary while I was on important call with Remote Docking Operator. More detailed instructions are being formulated now as you and I communicate through electronic wordage means.

With Tears Rolling Down Cheeks,

The Grand Designer

Voidryder's Aerospace

Post Script: Have two position openings at Voidryder's Aerospace for immediate hire - Personal Secretary and Remote Docking Operator.

Hi Yanfret, I have a little question: is your beautiful mod compatible with FAR? Everytime I try to fly something it appears to be dragless. Without CHAKA's parts everything works fine. It's this a know issue or a my problem?

will you be adding Drangon Spacecraft to the mod that would be so COOOLL:)

Not in this pack.

Hi Yanfret, I have a little question: is your beautiful mod compatible with FAR? Everytime I try to fly something it appears to be dragless. Without CHAKA's parts everything works fine. It's this a know issue or a my problem?

We decided to focus on the stock aero model. In the past we had a set of MM scripts to enable FAR compatibility however those scripts would need to be heavily updated for the new version. So not at this time.

Voidryder came up with these instructions which will be included in the product documentation:

I set to Abort Key

LES - Toggle Engine

SM Fairing (both) - Decouple

Orion Backshell - Decouple

I set to Alpha 10 key

LES - Decouple

I set to Alpha Key 9

Parachutes - Deploy

News!

After many test flights, we have an Orion parachute system for you that actually works every time! Also it's pretty smooth.

I know a single parachute is kindof simple, but we're gonna keep it simple so that you are not compelled to go Real Chute. ( Be our guest if you want more chute action )

It actually took about 5 days of testing to get this right, so we're quite pleased with the result.

More News!

Duna Return to Orbit is completley revised. It might look the same outside, but under the hood it's much improved. Now it features a version of ALCOR that has monopropellant for RTO circularization, the decoupler is enlarged so it doesnt snag on the lander when returning to orbit, it has four new micro sep motors on the heatshield to prevent that from blowing back and smacking the lander.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to it. This mod is going to make a great addition to my colony preparations

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.