[1.6.1] Chaka Monkey 161

YANFRET

Really!? I'm honestly surprised to hear you say that. We used special super powerful RCS ports just for MTV docking, and actually I thought it was pretty easy to dock considering the mass of the pieces. It's quite a heavy thing after all, and even a soyuz capsule takes hours to dock in real life.

I suppose if you are looking for an even faster MTV docking experience, feel free to turn up the power on CMES/Pod/Control_RCS_Blocks/Port_R1 - copy.cfg ... otherwise known as "High Power R1 Linear RCS Port (x2)". You should be able to go up to thruster power 20 before it becomes a problem for anything else. Those pieces are rather well balanced for RCS.

In fact the 75% scale of the pack was chosen in part to place a real world VAB limit on the size of Chaka rockets.

Hi YANFRET

Checking back on the RCS matter. Just the other night i tried altering the cfg as you suggested, and the result was great. I dont remember the exact values now but i can tell i got em right on the first try and docking with Mechjeb autopilot went buttery smooth in a matter of less than 3 minutes. I tried docking the MTV B and C vehicles in a 165 km orbit and it was great. As soon as im on my pc I'll write the values i used.

Cheers

Orion Parachute Safety Resolution Team

Suggested procedure D

Action item #436-76725A

-Test flight to certify

ITt6uN.jpg

vFIC2N.jpg

ejzSLu.jpg

CkLv5M.jpg

dt3BbC.jpg

01ZjmV.jpg

xP0OUl.jpg

Modified stock parachute attaches to new interior Orion node for easy install and high safety rating.

Edited by YANFRET

Update: 1.0.2 D

- Increased DDS texture resolution

- High Safety Orion Parachute options

- Fixed Duna Return to Orbit lander clipping issue

- Fixed Duna Return to Orbit RCS fuel issue

- Duna heat shield separator motors

- Deep Space Habitat craft

- Updated Habitat Pack IVA textures

- Changed IVA for medium sized habitats

- Increased "High Power RCS" to 20

- Fixed missing or invalid career mode tags for parts

- Fixed missing IVA on crew tunnel

- Improved fairing shapes for Duna Lander MLS vehicles

- Meet Chaka Special Feature included

See page 1 for download

4Ijw4F.jpg

rmqkJF.jpg

dUMxpR.jpg

vDepcB.jpg

iegy6r.jpg

Edited by YANFRET

Dear Productive and Innovative Chaka Monkey Exploration Systems Chief Designer and Engineers,

We, your most ebullient customers, at Voidryder's Aerospace once again congratulate you and Monkey for successful modifications and updating of launch vehicles and crewed spacecraft. Our flight crews are most excited no longer having to EVA to manually kick away heat shields. We will now be able reduce necessary mission crew by one for cost savings!

We can also return to including parachutes on crewed craft for safe landings. This will help immensely with our Kerbalnaut recruiting drive.

Sincerely,

The Grand Designer

Voidryder's Aerospace

I haven't played KSP in a goodly while due to other distractions, but as always, Yanfret's thread subscription draws me back to the forum and his pretty pictures draw me back to the game. Expect another CMES download from me soon!

Did you guys ever have plans for an actual Orion IVA? As much as I love all these parts, it bugs me to no end that the orion just uses the Alcor IVA, which doesn't mesh well with it imo.

Lots of great parts in this mods. Honestly I don't use them all. I really like the Orion capsule, but my OCD just can't get past the fairing being off center. Any chance of getting that minor, non-critical issue addressed in the future?

Did you guys ever have plans for an actual Orion IVA? As much as I love all these parts' date=' it bugs me to no end that the orion just uses the Alcor IVA, which doesn't mesh well with it imo.[/quote']

Yes absolutely. From a game play standpoint we like ALCOR for it's functionality, but you're right, we agree and it is top priority.

Lots of great parts in this mods. Honestly I don't use them all. I really like the Orion capsule, but my OCD just can't get past the fairing being off center. Any chance of getting that minor, non-critical issue addressed in the future?

Sometimes the parts collection is confusing because our primary goal is to present the craft, and the parts are included or not based on their utility for that purpose, but anyway.

How do you mean off center?

How do you mean off center?

When a part is attached to the base of the capsule the automated fairing that is generated is not located in the center of the viewing ports (a.k.a. windows) The small clamp looking part of the fairing is off center by an estimated 5deg. It has no affect at all on the performance of the vessel. This is purely a cosmetic issue.

When a part is attached to the base of the capsule the automated fairing that is generated is not located in the center of the viewing ports (a.k.a. windows) The small clamp looking part of the fairing is off center by an estimated 5deg. It has no affect at all on the performance of the vessel. This is purely a cosmetic issue.

[[OOC]] Are you referring to the Umbilical from the Service Module to the Command Module? It appears in game when you attach the decoupler. If you are, it is in the correct placement according to NASA images and plans. Here's a link with some images.

http://www.space.com/11768-photos-nasa-multi-purpose-crew-vehicle-deep-space.html

[[OOC]] Are you referring to the Umbilical from the Service Module to the Command Module? It appears in game when you attach the decoupler. If you are, it is in the correct placement according to NASA images and plans. Here's a link with some images.

http://www.space.com/11768-photos-nasa-multi-purpose-crew-vehicle-deep-space.html

Oh yeah, some NASA artist's rendition. Problem is that in the real world I suspect that offset would actually cause significant enough drag to affect atmospheric flight. And, as I already mentioned my OCD just doesn't like it that way.

Working on a manned lander to Moho and an Orion to return both launched from a single launcher using these parts. I'm also avoiding any elaborate rockets such as asparagus and only building rockets that look like actual rockets.

16000 Delta-V. Who would have thought frustration could be so much fun!

Oh yeah, some NASA artist's rendition. Problem is that in the real world I suspect that offset would actually cause significant enough drag to affect atmospheric flight. And, as I already mentioned my OCD just doesn't like it that way.

You know that Orion exists IRL right? Its first test mission happened last year. Check the pics from EFT-1

[[OOC]] I understand how even a NASA rendering may be limited, so how about the engineers' evaluation of the Umbilical Connector? Maybe if your OCD sees that engineers designed the placement of the Umbilical Connector, taking into account aerodynamics it will help. If not, afraid you'll have to live with it.

http://www.esmats.eu/esmatspapers/pastpapers/pdfs/2013/delap.pdf

Perhaps. But that is why the Orion has an Aeroshield during launch.

As far as not liking the placement and not taking the word of renderings. How about photos! Notice the placement of the umbilical receptical. It most definitely NOT centered.

EFT-1-recovery-720x340.jpg

P.S. Aeroshield. Notice how the umbilical is flush with the aeroshield. Thus, no drag.

OrionEFT1_AutoC.jpeg

Edited by noonespecial

Yeah that's what Orion looks like. If anything or umbilical is crude and bulky but it's in the right place at least.

141205-n-om642-255.jpg

1-smoothsailin.jpg

t11-0265_sls_10s_6_0.jpg

Actually the umbilical cover isn't completely flush as you can barely discern from the wind tunnel model ...

But here's the bottom line, Orion Must Have an exterior umbilical... So the entire stack is designed around that, its a critical design requirement.

In the green picture, you can see that where the umbilical cover exists is neatly tucked behind the LES dome flow shock boundary so its not important that it be symmetrical

Edited by YANFRET

Working on a manned lander to Moho and an Orion to return both launched from a single launcher using these parts. I'm also avoiding any elaborate rockets such as asparagus and only building rockets that look like actual rockets.

16000 Delta-V. Who would have thought frustration could be so much fun!

Neat!

If we set aside the real world constraints at the launch site, MLS with four SRB and a gigantic upper stage could certainly single shot to Moho. With so much TWR you would really be cornered into a heavy upper stage however.

Here is a rough sketch of what I had in mind:

27DyWE.jpg

s3HGrv.jpg

67vGFa.jpg

uNtf5j.jpg

Qizayu.jpg

XTLjxU.jpg

We've got two NTR motors on the upper, so the idea would be LEO + Orion dock > direct transit, then combine with "classic" Monkey Transfer Vehicle Drop Tank ( Or propulsion module ) pre positioned at destination.

Edited by YANFRET

Well, at least you didn't hold back :confused:

Fortunately it doesn't have the wibbily-wobbily problem that stock rockets have. There's 16,000 Delta V in that but I really need to make it a bit smaller!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.