KSP killed my mouse!

wossname

The right click microswitch on my mouse is beginning to fail. Since I use this PC for little else but KSP there can only be one explanation...

Our Glorious Space Kraken Overlord is now able to reach out beyond the Kerbin space/time continuum and physically affect the unseen beings that guide our valiant Kerbonauts toward the stars.

This is dire news indeed. Said unseen being has bought a new mouse (a Kraken proof one).

My MX-518 finally gave out last month. Managed to grab a G400s before they all disappeared. You can probably still get one on Amazon, it's the best mouse design ever and the crap they have now is not as good.

My MX-518 finally gave out last month. Managed to grab a G400s before they all disappeared. You can probably still get one on Amazon, it's the best mouse design ever and the crap they have now is not as good.

Hope your 'crap' doesn't include the G700s. I absolutely love my hybrid mouse because the first thing on my wired mouse to go bad is the cord. G700s will be the mouse I buy for all my systems or until I try something better.

I also owned the G500 and before it died it was a solid mouse as well. But then again I don't think anything lasts more than a year or two of heavy gaming. Or maybe I just murder my mice...

Hope your 'crap' doesn't include the G700s. I absolutely love my hybrid mouse because the first thing on my wired mouse to go bad is the cord. G700s will be the mouse I buy for all my systems or until I try something better.

Afraid it does. The buttons are awkwardly placed and they aren't as ergonomic when compared to the MX-518/G400 style. However, A lot of that has to do with everyone's hands (which are of course all different) so there will be differences of opinion there. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. The G700s is probably the best of the stuff they are pushing now though. The G502 looks downright uncomfortable.

I also owned the G500 and before it died it was a solid mouse as well. But then again I don't think anything lasts more than a year or two of heavy gaming. Or maybe I just murder my mice...

Well that 518 lasted 10 years but on the other hand they don't make things like they used to. Built-in obsolescence has taken over.

Edited by Alshain

Well that 518 lasted 10 years but on the other hand they don't make things like they used to. Built-in obsolescence has taken over.

Now that is insanely impressive. I would love for my mouse to last half that long.

Maybe if the 518 isn't as small as its google picture makes it seem I'd pick one up.

Now that is insanely impressive. I would love for my mouse to last half that long.

Maybe if the 518 isn't as small as its google picture makes it seem I'd pick one up.

Lol, well they discontinued it many years ago. You might have a hard time find it. But the G400 is almost the same shape, though I have no idea how long it lasts. I'm not sure what you mean by "small", it's about the size of my hand, the G700 looks to big and clumsy IMO.

Wireless mice and keyboard are the way to go. Battery life is quite good even with heavy daily use. They will alert you when the battery gets low, usually a month for the mouse and a year on the keyboard. There is a switch on the logtech modules to turn them off when not in use. Mine are on 24-7 for the desktop. They go on sleep mode when not in use otherwise to save on battery life.

Meh. Minecraft killed my previous mouse by wearing out the left click button. I figure any mouse button only has so many clicks in it before it breaks, so it's no surprise that thousands upon thousands of right-clicks will eventually wear one out.

Which makes me wonder - what do you mean by "kraken-proof?" Does your new mouse not use a switch?

I finally had to replace my Logitech MX Anywhere mouse this year. Was SUPER bummed because it's the original mouse that I bought when I built my first computer.

That and I get pretty attached to my things so...it was basically like going to a funeral. All the minecrafts, all the kerbals, all the games that mouse had got me through...

Which makes me wonder - what do you mean by "kraken-proof?" Does your new mouse not use a switch?

An astute question. I cannot be sure of the technology behind my newly procured pointing mechanism. I can only surmise that there is some kind of exotic quantum anomaly being harnessed for the furtherment of Kerbalkind. My guess would be that it exploits a variant of the Casimir effect to detect Chandrasekhar limit displacement uncertainty within high proximity metallic ionization zones.

Some might call it a switch, I suppose.

Edited by wossname

I've had two Logitech mice that had the switches fail. The failure manifested itself as failing to register a click, or registering a double click when I would only click once. I think they've had some ongoing quality issues for the last several years where someone high up decided that saving a few pennies on a quality switch was more important than selling a quality product. Needless to say when the second one died, all it took was a quick email to customer support and they sent me a brand new mouse, no questions asked, and said I could keep the one I had so at least they acknowledge that there was a problem with that model (G500).

I still have an old MX-518 that works great though (was nice to have when the other mouse stopped working reliably and I was waiting for the replacement).

So anyways, the failure of mouse buttons is actually a relatively common issue, especially for cheaper (quality wise, not necessarily price) mice.

Apple mouse...

I use a magic mouse on my macbook, its great for scrolling in the VAB, and once you enable right click works as expected. The lack of any buttons is a problem on missions, I get by but I wish I was using the Logitech, but when I am in the VAB I wish I was using the apple magic mouse.

I had a Razer Copperhead which lasted for about 10 years too, until I gave it a bath in tea. Amazingly it still mostly works, just double clicks when I want a single click about 1 in 5 clicks. Now I have a Razer Ouroboros and I'm very happy with it. I hope it lasts as long!

Wireless mice and keyboard are the way to go. Battery life is quite good even with heavy daily use. They will alert you when the battery gets low, usually a month for the mouse and a year on the keyboard. There is a switch on the logtech modules to turn them off when not in use. Mine are on 24-7 for the desktop. They go on sleep mode when not in use otherwise to save on battery life.

A wireless mouse is probably fine for KSP. That said, I did not think upgrading from a wireless mouse to a wired one would make much of a difference, but it actually did improve my FPS gaming. It won't turn a bad player into a head-shot machine as the ads might have you believe, but it was a noticeable gain (this coming from someone skeptical of the purchase!). I love my G500.

Again, the accuracy of a gaming grade wired mouse is probably not needed on KSP, though.

I still have my MX-518. I dont use all the other fancy crap buttons on it (change dpi, the annoying button close to the palm that closes tabs, etc), so I removed them from the board and saved the micro switches. I tend to replace micro switches when they fail, I have probably 80 switches now. This mouse has lasted 8 years so far and the poor thing gets abused. Prior to this mouse, I used a Wacom Graphire 2 mouse for nearly 13 years. Its 'wireless' but doesn't have batteries, and wireless lag as bad as other wireless devices... So, as far as a normal wireless mose... No. Never gonna happen for me. The "imperceptible" lag is highly noticeable when FPS gaming. Plus batteries. No.

Edited by MGCJerry

The right click microswitch on my mouse is beginning to fail. Since I use this PC for little else but KSP there can only be one explanation...

Our Glorious Space Kraken Overlord is now able to reach out beyond the Kerbin space/time continuum and physically affect the unseen beings that guide our valiant Kerbonauts toward the stars.

This is dire news indeed. Said unseen being has bought a new mouse (a Kraken proof one).

Meh, MSFS killed at least 4 sticks, some of them quite expensive. A mouse is a buck, 15 if you buy a wireless, buy several keep them charged and ready.

BTW I find that when the battery on my wireless is dying, one function on the mouse usually begins to fail first, thats its way of warning you that its time for a recharge.

I found this out reading the tech diagrams for specialized equipment, most circuits are rated for a certain voltage, but if you test those circuit you find that certain parameters vary in the production, so there is often one part that needs slightly more voltage than the others to operate.

League of Legends kills mouse buttons... not KSP.. :P

Definitely, there are many games out there that require click-spamming, but KSP isn't one of them (unless you're trying to right-click on a specific part of a rotating craft anyways).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.