Constellation Mission Packs Discussion Thread!

Does it have to be replica?

I think so but could be wrong. The thread was set up for anyone trying to recreate the constellation mission so as long as you are doing that I guess it's cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, from this video*, the DIPS is in both, but not the FSPS, which kind of makes sense, after all, you don't want to store RTG near the crew, but I don't know what the 2nd DIPS is for.

Sorry about the lag, I was amazed at the difference between 600 and 400 parts.

*At this point:

How have you balanced the lander thrust to the COM?

I think so but could be wrong. The thread was set up for anyone trying to recreate the constellation mission so as long as you are doing that I guess it's cool.

- - - Updated - - -

How have you balanced the lander thrust to the COM?

Well... don't tell anyone, but... thrust limiters, Nothing happening here, folks, move along, move along. ;)

P.S.

That's for the cargo lander, I haven't got to that point with the crew lander.

Well... don't tell anyone, but... thrust limiters, Nothing happening here, folks, move along, move along. ;)

P.S.

That's for the cargo lander, I haven't got to that point with the crew lander.

That is a perfectly valid method dude. That's exactly why that slider was introduced.

The way mine where built meant I couldn't balance it without adding an extra pair of motors on the hab lander.

I really think I'm going to have 4 crew this time.

That looks great! Thank you Munlorf! Have you flown it yet?

Munlorf! You sneak! Why don't you test fly it! Ha Ha Ha! (Actually, I'm testing it unmanned).

Flying it right now, I will keep you posted.

More struts:

EZVP5cn.png

wudYSOd.png

The engines fell off:

XConHOQ.png

EDIT:

2nd Try:

I came down on a slope, and tried to find a level spot.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

Munlorf! You sneak! Why don't you test fly it! Ha Ha Ha! (Actually, I'm testing it unmanned).

Flying it right now, I will keep you posted.

More struts:

http://i.imgur.com/EZVP5cn.png

http://i.imgur.com/wudYSOd.png

The engines fell off:

http://i.imgur.com/XConHOQ.png

EDIT:

2nd Try:

I came down on a slope, and tried to find a level spot.

http://imgur.com/a/0HUKe

Man that looked like a hairy landing! Deffo needs more struts. So how have you got a hab section working?

OOH and some stats from my landers:

Ascent lander

-930 m/s dv

-438 parts

-61.5t

-12.4m long

-5.5m wide

-4.4m high

Hab lander

-962m/s dv

-479 parts

-53t

-12.4m long

-5.4m wide

-4.6m high

Thats with the high detail SPR take off 80 parts for the low detail SPR.

Man that looked like a hairy landing! Deffo needs more struts. So how have you got a hab section working?

OOH and some stats from my landers:

Ascent lander

-930 m/s dv

-438 parts

-61.5t

-12.4m long

-5.5m wide

-4.4m high

Hab lander

-962m/s dv

-479 parts

-53t

-12.4m long

-5.4m wide

-4.6m high

Thats with the high detail SPR take off 80 parts for the low detail SPR.

Yeah, it was a hairy "Landing".

For hab, I used 6 mk2 crew cabins offsetted and rotated into a curve.

Thanks for the stats, tomorrow I will add my stats.

How are you deorbiting? I use a lfo RCS block.

Now I feel slightly ashamed of how bad the my lander looks like.

Just redesign it man! I've done that three times now..!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it was a hairy "Landing".

For hab, I used 6 mk2 crew cabins offsetted and rotated into a curve.

Thanks for the stats, tomorrow I will add my stats.

How are you deorbiting? I use a lfo RCS block.

Yeah RCS most likely too.

Sorry for no updates, I've been taking a quick break to build some aircraft. How to prevent it from exploding from speed... Hmm...

No worries. I tested the hab lander on Duna. The low gravity resulted in a few changes to the lander. It was great to fly, she felt big but was easy to control under powered descent. And she looked glorious on the surface.

No worries. I tested the hab lander on Duna. The low gravity resulted in a few changes to the lander. It was great to fly, she felt big but was easy to control under powered descent. And she looked glorious on the surface.

You should shoooowwwww usssssss :)

Spent today finicking with how I want to do Altair, as well as mucking around with satellites.

You should shoooowwwww usssssss :)

Spent today finicking with how I want to do Altair, as well as mucking around with satellites.

Yeah, I probably should. But it will lessen the impact of my full release of the pack.. I will show my Ares V soon though. Although I have working rockets I'm still fiddling with them..

What if you all picked a part of the constellation project to work on, and combine it all into a single pack, managed by your top manager? Call it the Community Constellation Pack.

Could work, but I kind of want to build all the parts, I'm not sure I could deal with the grief of having to not use my beautiful babies. *Sniff*

If we all used the same kind of docking ports, though, people could mix-and-match hardware.

LOL! I was waiting for one of you to post something like this. Yeah it sucks doesn't it. An engine that is for long burns, cannot perform long burns.

At max throttle how long before yours go poof?

- - - Updated - - -

What if you all picked a part of the constellation project to work on, and combine it all into a single pack, managed by your top manager? Call it the Community Constellation Pack.

I have already completed all the craft. And I don't really like the idea of mixing up designs like that. Impure! impure! Burn the heretic!

LOL! I was waiting for one of you to post something like this. Yeah it sucks doesn't it. An engine that is for long burns, cannot perform long burns.

At max throttle how long before yours go poof?

It lasted maybe 5 minutes, because I mounted it to a structural bit, which exploded first.

I saw it heating up, and turned off f10 heat gauges to avoid memory leak. The nukes steadily got hotter, while I was thinking, "What throttle level will they're heat stay steady" so I turn on heat data in action menus. I RMB the nukes, and see that there're at about 2,000 degrees, and just as begin to throttle down, there's a "Poof" I think "It can't be the nukes, they're overheat gauge wasn't filled yet!" Turns out it was the mount!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.