Spaceship waste heat like in the ISS?

Insanitic

First of all just to clarify, why does the ISS have heat radiators?

I've been wondering if it is possible to make a mod that simulates the waste heat that the ISS dissipates with its radiators. I don't mean from nuclear reactors like in the Near Future Electrical Mod or from only the Nuclear engines, but universal waste heat generated from electrical components, machinery, and being in direct contact to the sun in space.

I'm aware that if you are orbiting close to Kerbol or orbit/land on Moho heat becomes a problem, but I want a heating factor (internal heating due to electrical components?) that's present in all vessels, therefore presenting a need for managing heat using radiators like on most space vessels in reality.

I'm aware that this idea probably doesn't appeal to a lot of players, but for people who want extra realism, I think it increases immersion (at least for me).

Edited by Insanitic

This additional heat won't pose a problem to the player. It will be radiated away just like the heat from other sources.

The ISS and any KSP vessel have one fundamental difference: The ISS will break down or becomes uninhabitable when the internal temperature goes above 100°C or 40 °C. A vessel in KSP will function without problems as long as the temperature stays below 2000°C.

To make it a bit more realistic each part needs to have two temperatures: internal and external. When the internal temperature goes above, say, 50°C it will stop working and Kerbals in it will die or become uncontrolable. If the external temperature goes above, say, 2000°C the part will explode.

This needs a new mechanic which simulates the heat flow (insulation, heat pumps, etc.) between internal and external heat sources. And somewhere in this mechanic your heat management will make sense.

But as you can see it's quite a complex thing to make stuff more realistic.

This additional heat won't pose a problem to the player. It will be radiated away just like the heat from other sources.

The ISS and any KSP vessel have one fundamental difference: The ISS will break down or becomes uninhabitable when the internal temperature goes above 100°C or 40 °C. A vessel in KSP will function without problems as long as the temperature stays below 2000°C.

To make it a bit more realistic each part needs to have two temperatures: internal and external. When the internal temperature goes above, say, 50°C it will stop working and Kerbals in it will die or become uncontrolable. If the external temperature goes above, say, 2000°C the part will explode.

This needs a new mechanic which simulates the heat flow (insulation, heat pumps, etc.) between internal and external heat sources. And somewhere in this mechanic your heat management will make sense.

But as you can see it's quite a complex thing to make stuff more realistic.

D'oh of course, I forgot about the Kerbal's well being!

That makes sense though. Remembering the thermodynamics unit in my university physics course, I don't doubt that the mod would be complex.

The reason why I asked is because I was inspired by a video by Bob Fitch in his Project Odyssey series:

He somehow implemented Interstellar Waste heat system to simulate vessel temperature regulation. So I'm wondering if it is still possible.

Per Squadcast, 1.0.3 will have that separation between internal and skin temperature; Deadly Reentry also does that (and has the advantage of being released :D ).

What you might want to do is ask the author of your life support mod of choice to add some waste heat during FixedUpdate--from general life support processes, and from any resource converters.

That's music to my ears Nathan! 1.0.3 will be amazing!

So now a life support mod just has to take advantage of that system right? Because right now, the internal heat in Deadly Reentry, if I'm not mistaken, is being used for in atmospheric entry heating from some heat being transferred from the heat shield to the ship?

Most of the heat that the ISS experiences is due to solar radiation not the electronics components. Sure those components do add some heat to the station but not really near the heat that sunlight causes.

Are you requesting a mod that will cause parts to generate heat from internal components (probe cores heat up from computer chips) or simulating solar radiation (parts heat up from being in sunlight)

There is just that in the KSPI-E Your solar pannels generate "Waste Heat". The more you have the more heat you have and have to use radiators too cool down. If the heat reaches maximum then the electronics shuts down. It is quite a big mod and if you don#t want to use all of its features just delete them from the mod.

Edited by Mighty1

Usage of reaction wheels, SAS activity, gimbal motors, RTGs, cargo bay doors, any kind of lights, toggling landing gear, toggling antennas, transmitting data all should generate a bit of heat in my opinion to make gameplay more realisticer.

Edited by Feradose

Most of the heat that the ISS experiences is due to solar radiation not the electronics components. Sure those components do add some heat to the station but not really near the heat that sunlight causes.

Are you requesting a mod that will cause parts to generate heat from internal components (probe cores heat up from computer chips) or simulating solar radiation (parts heat up from being in sunlight)

Sorry I should clarify. I guess I'm looking for a mod that can give the player some level of temperature regulation for vessels, not only when using Nuclear engines or during atmospheric heating.

Since electronic/ship components and Kerbals themselves should have temperature limits before they go kaput, the role of radiators can be expanded upon from just merely cooling off a nuclear reactor/engine.

And if I'm not mistaken, the temperatures in space can vary wildly due to being in direct contact to the sun's radiation and then being behind a planet blocking the sun.

- - - Updated - - -

There is just that in the KSPI-E Your solar pannels generate "Waste Heat". The more you have the more heat you have and have to use radiators too cool down. If the heat reaches maximum then the electronics shuts down. It is quite a big mod and if you don#t want to use all of its features just delete them from the mod.

I have used the Interstellar mod, but if I recall, the only things producing waste heat is the reactors and solar panels but nothing else to present the player with the necessity for radiators to maintain a operable environment within the spacecraft.

Edited by Insanitic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.