What paint program are you using for flags?

ZentroCatson

So, I wanted to make my own CSP flag. It's just a screenshot with some text for now, but I want to make more out of it. I'm using Firealpaca, what are you using for custom flags? I can't draw that good on virtual paint programs, so, any suggestions for a easy-to-use program for making flags?

Oh, and here is my flag:

PazOljv.png

PaintShopPro X3 (never bothered to upgrade to a newer version)

I've been a PSP user since the early '90's as the earliest versions were shareware and supported a wide variety (much wider that than most competitors) of image formats.

GIMP for everything. Some bits (such as the die in my avatar) were hand-sketched on white paper with a marker and then scanned in using a program that no longer exists, but the image editing was all done with the Gimp.

That's pretty great work.

Paint.NET is good. Has a lot of handy tools, and is free.

Seconded.

I have used GIMP before, but for the mission patches in my Kerbollo program, I ended up getting too frustrated, It is powerful, but seems to like making things that should be simple rather complicated. Paint.NET may not have the power but is far more user friendly

I used Inkscape (a vector graphics editor) for mine, then touched it up in GIMP for the scaled version. Once I see what it looks like in the wild, I might add a bit of "wavy flag" texture to it.

ZHO5ogX.png

..I don't know that many of the really capable paint programs out there are particularly easy to use. I think most replies show people are just using what they know. I've been using PhotoShop since version 3.something so, though I'm not any kind of expert, I can construct some reasonable-looking things. (And I haven't found any other software as capable with text.) IrfanView is a great (free) too for quick tweaks too.

On the Mac, Pixelmator and Acorn are pretty good. I almost switched entirely to Pixelmator -- great tablet support, but I just couldn't do good enough arrows and text in it, like I could in PhotoShop. I haven't found anything free on Windows that's been good enough to grab my attention. Paint.net did look promising though. But for Windows I've just stuck with an old version of PhotoShop .. and got a newer version of PhotoShop Essentials, which comes bundled with the Wacom Bamboo tablets.

I haven't made any flags from scratch. I usually looked for real flags, or sci-fi emblems, scaled and cropped them to size, and applied far more vignetting than necessary. :)

all-ish%252520flags%252520-%252520two-row%252520v2.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.