Fastest Runway To Island To Runway.

I know it hasn't been long, but I wish to update my entry, Xannari made me want to try harder.

Time Completed: 1:52

Touched ground at 1:52 and some change, slapped F3 at 1:53. Plane is still quite happily sitting here on the runway, if you were wondering if it fell over.

This time, we leave the Kerbals at home (Avetho never stated we couldn't). Flying an aerodynamically stable jet engine is dangerous, after all.

I didn't land the right way again, but I landed vertically this time.

**START AT 0:43, MY REPLAY BUFFER IS 3 MINUTES. SORRY. :C**

EDIT:

I put the .craft file in my 100% stock Kerbal install just to make sure the few things I have (that add things to .craft files, namely tweakscale [but unused here], flight engineer, and collision fx) would be compatible with true stock. It is, and flies exactly the same (as it should). You can also just delete the extra modules.

Here it is: http://puu.sh/iK1wU.craft

If anyone wants it for reasons.

(Click link, Ctrl+S [or Right Click + Save As]: <whatevernameyouwant>.craft [Make sure you delete the .txt at the end first], file type ALL [or it will save it as a .txt anyway])

Oh, and hotrockets was breaking my turbojet, it does give effects correctly in stock.

Edited by Nanobit
Posting .craft file

Criminy! Nanobit, that was a blistering run! Perhaps you're gonna try to get the JebAlike medal? :cool: 22 seconds shouldn't be too hard to cut off, right?

And nice way to exploit my lack of descriptiveness because, no, I didn't say it had to be manned. Nice one.

- - - Updated - - -

Xannari nice job on that speed increase! Looks faster than before and the time says so. :cool:

Criminy! Nanobit, that was a blistering run! Perhaps you're gonna try to get the JebAlike medal? :cool: 22 seconds shouldn't be too hard to cut off, right?

And nice way to exploit my lack of descriptiveness because, no, I didn't say it had to be manned. Nice one.

I could definitely be flying better, but idk if I can shave 22s with 1.0.3+ heating, since rads do nothing in atmo afaik.

The fastest I've been able to get with my current design is Mach 3.65, and that was only temporary, as I got to 2389K...

Thanks! and sorry for continually landing the complete wrong way :D

EDIT: Yeah rads DO do something in atmo btw. AND, they DO keep your craft cooler (wow). But it's not because they're radiating anything, it's because they add drag and make you slow af so your craft can't even go fast enough to heat up.

(nice.)

I don't think it's possible (for me) to go much (if any) faster. I could fly better and maybe get in the high 1:40's realm, but that 1.0.3 heating isn't gonna let me go any faster than Mach 3.7-ish. (with my craft at least)

Edited by Nanobit

..How many times have we had this challenge?

You seem to know, how many times?

Even if it's already been done people are having fun with it so why not?

Edited by Nanobit

luizopiloto, I don't think I changed the rules after his entry, I'm only updating times.

- - - Updated - - -

Xannari, I see what you mean. It's not a pride thing, but rather a fun thing :)

- - - Updated - - -

It seems you have gotten a quite unbeatable time, Aphobius :D

luizopiloto, I don't think I changed the rules after his entry, I'm only updating times.

- - - Updated - - -

Xannari, I see what you mean. It's not a pride thing, but rather a fun thing :)

- - - Updated - - -

It seems you have gotten a quite unbeatable time, Aphobius :D

"JebAlike - Under 1 minute and 30 seconds (Jeb difficulty) (if too hard with landing, fly through hangars)"

That was added after my entry and it was quite annoying.

My time is not unbeatable, it's far from the best, even with that design. Would be nice to see more entries.

Aphobius oh, I thought you meant the JebAlike medal. My bad, I thought I typed the whole thing in one go. I guess when you are busy irl you tend to forget most of your choices in the online world :P

klesh, well, let me see. It's got one major wing surface, no rear horizontal wing surfaces, two rudders like I had, and one air breathing engine. Yep, it is. I had eight intakes on my craft, so intakes don't matter. And you also have two aileron control surfaces too, also like I had. It is completely legal. And yes, drop tanks are allowed, anything I didn't say no to is generally allowed unless I think it is cheaty enough to make illegal in pursuit of fairness. I think that plane looks cool though :cool:. The more unconventional, the better :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Xannari Oh no :( Have you talked with Squad or is it a problem with something else?

- - - Updated - - -

For all you competitors out there, I have added a new medal. Some of you were talking about no wings on the design, and one of you made a plane that looked as if it couldn't reach the Platinum rather than beat it by over a minute, so I have added the Unconventional Design award.

klesh, well, let me see... It is completely legal.

I also have Airbrakes on either side of the outer thingies, so I didn't know if they counted as more than 2 control surfaces. They aren't attached to the wings, per se, so I guess this is valid? I've made a few tweaks to the design, dropped the drop tank idea (see what I did there?), and am getting better times. I think I have a free version of dxtory that should be able to record my official entry flight.

Okay, a few alterations to the final craft and and I made my run. I could shave some more time of this, but I think its a reasonable submission:

2:59

Edit: Oh, hey, I guess I missed the bit about landing in the same direction as takeoff from the first runway. I'll have to redo it.

Edited by klesh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.